Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 AM

Default Re: New Massey "DTM" plug-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
you can not add, only erase certain notes. Just "overdo" the sensitivity a little and erase the few extra notes. Kind of the reverse of "underdoing" the sensitivity and adding notes, no?
Makes sense.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporhead View Post
The interface is very similar but the method requires a few extra steps because you need to export and import midi info as well as set up a sampler or drum program to trigger with the midi notes. Works remarkably well though. I've only tried it with stereo room samples. Haven't checked for accuracy by triggering a snare and comparing the recorded replacement with the original snare yet though. I'm curious to see just how accurate midi triggering can be.
Triggering using actual MIDI (interface and cables) will be subject to any MIDI "jitter" in your system. OTOH, using ReWire and a program like Reason you can get "sample accurate" triggering. I put that in quotes because although I've briefly tested it (ReWire and Reason) and it appears to be sample accurate when compare long samples in Reason to the original audio in Pro Tools, I haven't had time to seriously test the sample replacement style of triggering.

But I CAN say that with my first and only experiment using this new plug (thanks Steve!) things seemed quite tight. Zooming in on the MIDI notes showed some slight discrepancy in timing related to the original "trigger" audio, but the sound of the sample (when combined equally with the original) was consistent enough for my ears/use!

More testing is required before I could comment fully. But I like using this approach, even though it's WAY more "hands on" than using ReHab or Gog (which are "all in one" solutions). But the approach appeals to my "complete control" mentality - Others may do better to stick to the standard solutions if a simple/quick approach is needed.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
you can not add, only erase certain notes. Just "overdo" the sensitivity a little and erase the few extra notes. Kind of the reverse of "underdoing" the sensitivity and adding notes, no?
Nope. Some notes just don't get picked up, whatever the sensitivity. It's common in all of these kinds of plugins. So an 'add trigger' function would be extremely helpful.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Can someone please help me figure out how to register this plug-in? I purchased the L2007 limiter a while back and so am eligible for the DTM. When I log in to the user area on the Massey site, I see that it is available for me to download. But after I install it, it asks for a registration key. I don't see any option in the user area to request a key, as so many others seem to have done without issue. Any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brownstein View Post
Can someone please help me figure out how to register this plug-in? I purchased the L2007 limiter a while back and so am eligible for the DTM. When I log in to the user area on the Massey site, I see that it is available for me to download. But after I install it, it asks for a registration key. I don't see any option in the user area to request a key, as so many others seem to have done without issue. Any suggestions?
Email him with your info. I've done that last year when I forgot my reg key.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:32 PM

I just did that, and he responded quickly with the code. Cool!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:28 PM

Thumbs up Re: New Massey "DTM" plug-in

This is an awesome plug!! Massey does it again. The analyzing does take a few minutes, on a G5 2X2.0 with 4 gig of RAM. This was a 3.42 minute snare track. Everything sounds to line up. I zoomed in and some are off by a few sample2, but as another poster mentioned, I couldnt hear it.

Its easy to draw in any midi notes and adjust timing velocity before committing to a sound or as an audio file

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 PM

ARe you guys using this with PT8?

I'm getting this weird bug, where after I analyse the track and generate the midi, when I drag or spot the midi track into place it still pastes in WAY out of sync- like 35 bars later than the trigger sound. It's as though it adds 35 bars or so of silence.
Once I line it up by eye, it's fine. But it's an extra pointless step.

Also, I'm finding it happens a lot that the sensitivity misses some hits even when cranked up all the way, and there's no way to add triggers except manually in the midi editor later
Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
ARe you guys using this with PT8?

I'm getting this weird bug, where after I analyse the track and generate the midi, when I drag or spot the midi track into place it still pastes in WAY out of sync- like 35 bars later than the trigger sound. It's as though it adds 35 bars or so of silence.
Once I line it up by eye, it's fine. But it's an extra pointless step.

Also, I'm finding it happens a lot that the sensitivity misses some hits even when cranked up all the way, and there's no way to add triggers except manually in the midi editor later

It's counter intuitive, but you need to drag all the way to the begining of the timeline. DTM generates from there whether or not your just working on a section later in the tune. Took me a minute of head scratching too.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
It's counter intuitive, but you need to drag all the way to the begining of the timeline. DTM generates from there whether or not your just working on a section later in the tune. Took me a minute of head scratching too.
Read the usage notes...