Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Default Anybody use DROBO as a work drive, or perhaps storage for PT

The DROBO http://www.drobo.com/ has been getting rave reviews from a few friends... I'm just wondering if anyone has used it with their Pro Tools HD rig, either as mass storage/ back up, or as a primary work drive? ( the new FW 800 unit)

If you haven't seen this, please do watch the demo at http://www.drobo.com/ or on Youtube. pretty groovy box. I think I'm going for one as a bonehead alternative to a Raid.

cz
Old 07-14-2008, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Anybody use DROBO as a work drive, or perhaps storage fo

Hi,

I saw the DROBO too. Would like to know if it works as audio-drive(s).

Ciao ciao
Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Anybody use DROBO as a work drive, or perhaps storage fo

This unit is not about high performance, but mindless safety. Was USB only, just announced a FW version. We have one as a file dump, but don't run sessions off it.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Anybody use DROBO as a work drive, or perhaps storage for PT

We have 2, but only as backup storage. I'd never use it as an audio drive though.

So far it's worked perfectly as a safe backup unit for us.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Default doesn't seem to work with sessions

I just purchased the fw800 version and have 4-1tb drives in it for a total of 2.7gigs of protected storage- I cant get it to playback my sessions as it gives me the -9073 error. The sata drives are 32mb cache and 8ms so the drives themselves arent the problem. I'm also operating the latest firmware 1.2.2.2
Anybody get them to work with PT playback?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:26 AM

wow...i haven't logged in since '05...

I just picked one of the firewire 800 versions as well and am having the same problems. I can drag and drop onto the drobo, but i can't "save copy in" or save anything that i open up w/out a nasty error.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecreak View Post
I just purchased the fw800 version and have 4-1tb drives in it for a total of 2.7gigs of protected storage-
Where did the other 3.9 TB's go?

What scares me about that thing is that it's proprietary.

You can't play the drives in a regular enclosure. Ever.

So you're tied to this solution forever.

As an owner of a SCSI DVD RAM drive with 50 - 4.9 gig disks and 5 macs with no SCSI on them, that doesn't excite me.

What happens if the company goes under next year?

Everyone's needs are different but I try not to use anything that isn't future protected.

I stopped using Retrospect or any software based backup system. Not even Apple's backup. I just use the Finder. Nothing incremental either. Drag, drop, replace.

I bought a new solution for me this week.

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/RTX100.php

It takes SATA drives. Removable and has every connector (included) imaginable.

I was sick of buying external hard drives. Firewire (my preference) is getting harder and harder to find. USB 2.0 is the standard and I hate it.

eSATA seems to be the future and I'm all set for that. SATA drives are the cheapest and most plentiful too. PATA is being quickly phased out.

So now I can get a 500gig drive for $60-$80. How cool is that?

The drive seems really well built but I am concerned about the door. It may break off from repeated use. I'm not sure though. Don't know why they made the door out of plastic.

I did put a drive in their about 100 times yesterday without incident. Boots up quickly every time.

UPDATE: I've had the drive for six weeks now and the door seems to be fine. 3 or 4 swaps per day. It felt flimsy because the door had some metal hinges that squeaked. It seems better now. They do have a model that is $20 more that is all metal. Probably worth it. Love this process though.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:42 PM

I am not interested in the RAID aspect of this thread, but the Wiebetech bays look cool, but too expensive. . . it is a simple product and should be like $400 for a 4 bay version. . . Any othre trayless options out there for SATA drives with FW, USB and eSata?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:39 PM

I don't want to divert this thread, but in response to Howard's post, how about this:

HDD Rack Super Combo with Quad-Interface

Or for two drives, but no firewire:

Double HDD Rack

I don't own one, and am not sure if they are available in NA, but they look like handy li'l gizmos.

Ray
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
I am not interested in the RAID aspect of this thread, but the Wiebetech bays look cool, but too expensive. . . it is a simple product and should be like $400 for a 4 bay version. . . Any othre trayless options out there for SATA drives with FW, USB and eSata?
Just stay away from CoolDrives.

http://www.tonyspencer.com/2005/10/0...iew-they-suck/

Read the comments on the bottom.

I couldn't find much out there besides USB enclosures and the Weibertech.

BTW - Why do you need a 4 drive bay? Couldn't you just get a 1 or 2 drive bay and swap. Just curious why you'd need 4TB all at once.

The price of my one bay drive plus two 500 gig drives was equal to getting two 500 GB Lacie External drives. So it was a wash this time and will be half price from now on.