Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-31-2018, 02:40 AM

Default Pro Tools 2018.1 CPU Spikes

Hi there

I updated to Pro Tools 2018.1 on an iMac 2012, 3.4GHz i7, SSD, 8GB RAM with macOS 10.13.3.
Since I updated, I am experiencing very bad CPU performance with random spikes resulting in error AAE -9173 "Pro Tools ran out of CPU power. Try de-activating or removing Native plug-ins."

I reduced a test session to two stereo tracks with no plugins at all and still the same behavior. Changing or deactivating plugins or track count doesn't have any impact. Even if average CPU usage is around 2-3% while rolling, the CPU spikes occur.

It's pretty awful - I'm not able to do any work on this system right now. Pro Tools 12.8 worked fine on the exact same Mac. I did a clean install of High Sierra first and installed Pro Tools 2018.1 after that.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas on how to fix this or where this is coming from?

Thank you!

UPDATE: I'm aware that 8GB RAM doesn't fit the requirements, but the error doesn't seem to be related to RAM, or am I wrong?
I also noticed that this iMac Model 13.2 with it's i7 isn't listed as a "supported computer". Same iMac with i5 is, though. This might be it?

Last edited by anotherone; 01-31-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2018.1 CPU Spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Hi there

I updated to Pro Tools 2018.1 on an iMac 2012, 3.4GHz i7, SSD, 8GB RAM with macOS 10.13.3.
Since I updated, I am experiencing very bad CPU performance with random spikes resulting in error AAE -9173 "Pro Tools ran out of CPU power. Try de-activating or removing Native plug-ins."

I reduced a test session to two stereo tracks with no plugins at all and still the same behavior. Changing or deactivating plugins or track count doesn't have any impact. Even if average CPU usage is around 2-3% while rolling, the CPU spikes occur.

It's pretty awful - I'm not able to do any work on this system right now. Pro Tools 12.8 worked fine on the exact same Mac. I did a clean install of High Sierra first and installed Pro Tools 2018.1 after that.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas on how to fix this or where this is coming from?

Thank you!

UPDATE: I'm aware that 8GB RAM doesn't fit the requirements, but the error doesn't seem to be related to RAM, or am I wrong?
I also noticed that this iMac Model 13.2 with it's i7 isn't listed as a "supported computer". Same iMac with i5 is, though. This might be it?
Hi anotherone,

Welcome to the DUC. Was 12.8 working without -9173 errors? If it was and you still have it on your system, try one of your old sessions in 12.8 and see if you are still getting the errors. It could be something other than just the upgrade that's causing this.

BTW, unsupported doesn't necessarily mean it won't work, though you need more RAM for a smooth experience. Have you done all the recommended optimizations? Trashed prefs? Are you using a fusion drive? Those have been known to cause problems.

At least two of us here have had RAM related issues (bad / unseated RAM) that caused -9173 errors. That may also be something to look into. To my reasoning, if RAM can cause this, then other hardware components that are not up to par could also do it.

Check out the 'Help Us Help You' at the top of this page, and post full system details. I'm sure others here will chime in to help.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 AM

Whats your hard drives and how fast are they?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your helpful answers so far.
I just wanted to give a quick update.

After lesbunn‘s advice, I went back to 12.8 on High Sierra and experienced the same behaviour with -9173 errors, but I did not with the same session on an other mac.
Before I updated to High Sierra and Pro Tools 2018 on this iMac, I have seen -9173 just a few times in years.

So I replaced my RAM to brand new 16GB (2x8).
In the first few hours of work I did so far, I didn‘t see -9173. So this seems to fix it for the moment.

BUT after I did some digging in the web, I found quiet a few posts in other forums and Ideascale about -9173. It seems that there are more than just a few people out there getting this error for years on different workstation with different versions of OSX and Pro Tools.
Is this a known issue for the DUC? Search did not bring up much up here.

I hope it‘s not coming back on my system.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Default Re: -9173 / it's happening again

Hi again,

I need to bring up this thread again. Since today, out of nowhere, -9173 Error is back.

I did some screenshots of the system usage window while running (1), immediately before -9173 / audio already interrupting and crackling (2), and just after it stops and the error appears (3). Those three screenshots are taken within the same two or three seconds. All plugins are deactivated!

Again: I did a clean install of macOS 10.13.3 on a brand new OWC SSD, I installed new original Apple RAM. No third party drivers.
Error came back today while editing a 4-Track recording. Disabled all Plugins after it came up, did a restart - still don't get through the first verse without getting stopped by -9173.

I also tried to disable hyper threading with CPUsetter like suggested in an other thread, but this doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas? Can anyone help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (64.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (80.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (49.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:40 PM

This is happening to me too. Running no plug-ins...

Pro Tools 2018.4

2.7GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Apple SSD 500GB Flash

Hardware
Universal Audio Apollo 8
MOTU Midi Express

All software up to date
Old 04-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Happening to me too, about 30 times a day, or more. It all started with the High Sierra update along with the first 2018.1 PT update. Has not gotten any better since.

Avid tech support has no answers, suggested it might be my Apogee Symphony Mk1 interface, but have since tested it thoroughly with Logic and no CPU overloads there.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Default Re: -9173 / it's happening again

Quote:
Hi again,

I need to bring up this thread again. Since today, out of nowhere, -9173 Error is back.

I did some screenshots of the system usage window while running (1), immediately before -9173 / audio already interrupting and crackling (2), and just after it stops and the error appears (3). Those three screenshots are taken within the same two or three seconds. All plugins are deactivated!

Again: I did a clean install of macOS 10.13.3 on a brand new OWC SSD, I installed new original Apple RAM. No third party drivers.
Error came back today while editing a 4-Track recording. Disabled all Plugins after it came up, did a restart - still don't get through the first verse without getting stopped by -9173.

I also tried to disable hyper threading with CPUsetter like suggested in an other thread, but this doesn't make any difference.

Any ideas? Can anyone help?
no need to EVER disable hyperthread on OSX.. i did every test imaginable it's always better in PT with it on.

What audio interface and buffer size selected? You have left out so much key info.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:40 PM

Hi TNM

For my last tests, I used the internal iMac Speakers. It also happens with an Apogee Duet and with an Apollo Twin.
Buffer Size is currently 1024 Samples.

Please also find the following thread I started after this one seemed to bring up no result: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398048

I keep trying, but so far, nothing helped. Still getting dozens of -9173 every time I try. Any more ideas?
Old 04-10-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Hi TNM

For my last tests, I used the internal iMac Speakers. It also happens with an Apogee Duet and with an Apollo Twin.
Buffer Size is currently 1024 Samples.

Please also find the following thread I started after this one seemed to bring up no result: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398048

I keep trying, but so far, nothing helped. Still getting dozens of -9173 every time I try. Any more ideas?
my identical imac works great.. recently upgraded it to 32GB and that gave it a new lease of life too..But i never had any issues with it.. it;s always been 16GB though from the get go, but I see you also have that now.

UAD drivers are perfect here, using 9.5.1 and thunderbolt on both my macs, one with twin the other with Apollo8.

I run 128 buffer at 44.1K and never change it.

if i go to 88 or 96K I put 256 buffer.

I will never really use more than 48K for my purposes anyway... so...

I have tested PT at 192K at 512 buffer and there were no problems maxing out all cores...

The main thing different between our machines is that I have sierra and you have high.

High sierra forces the recent intel fixes and it affects our imac generation of CPU's.. I have read on the ivy bridge it 3.4ghz it could be like 30% performance loss in wrost scenarios. Actually I just realised mine is the 2600K, the sandy bridge, and no issues.. it's one imac build before yours...with thunderbolt 1.. works great..But the intel security "hole" which is a big bunch of BS and you'd literally have better chance of winning lotto that being compromised, is why i won't put high sierra ever on my imac.. i installed 12.12.6 and disabled all automatic updates and only go on the net to authorise ilok or something or download a demo.. then i turn it off. Working with bluetooth on for my keyboard/magic trackpad/magic mouse and wifi OFF when using PT, and performance is great for such an old machine. Truly great!

The intel fix will come as an option in sierra as well but you don't have to install it as it's not part of an OS update like it is in HS now.

I mean it *could* be that?

I don't know where to begin cause it should be working fine especially with a thunderbolt interface...

Let us know how you go and if Avid are of any help.. really sorry to read this, such a bummer for you.