Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2010, 07:08 PM

Default The all to famous H/W Buffer Size Error's

So I just got a new laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1545, and installed Pro Tools 8.0.3 on it. When I turn it on for the 1st time, it usually has trouble with the audio clock and when I try to play or record music, the audio I get in return is horrible sounding. It's very "mushy" and you honestly can't tell what was or is being recorded. I then restart the computer and load up Pro Tools again and it seems to work. I've only been using Pro Tools on this computer for about 3 days (although I've been using Pro Tools 7 on a different machine for about 6 months), and after 2 true sessions, this seems to hold true. If anyone has any suggestions on a possible fix for this, that would be great.

The true problem that I have is the H/W buffer size errors. I believe the one that I get is H/W buffer size error (-9092). Yesterday I used this to record drums on a new project I've been working on. I had 1 mono guitar track, and one instrument track with a click on it and I was already getting the errors on the 1st attempt to play it back. I've read through many threads of fixes and things that should be done, and this is what I was thinking of doing.

I've been trying to record to my system drive (which spins at 5400RPM's), which I now know is a big "no no", so I was thinking of getting a Glyph GT 050Q to fix that problem. Not sure how much memory right now, but I'm thinking 500GB.

This is my computer for school and everything else I need to do with it, and right now I don't have enough money to buy a designated computer for Pro Tools. I've read that Internet Explorer 8 can cause issues with Pro Tools, and that you want to disable just about everything you can to free up as much CPU as you can. I was thinking of making a separate user on the computer just for Pro Tools, so when I want to use Pro Tools, I just go onto that user. On this, I would disable IE8, Windows Aero (as I've read that this takes up a lot of memory and processing power), Security (McAfee), and everything else I could possibly disable to free up as much space as possible.

Does any of that sound like a good idea? Also, any other recommendations for other things I could possibly do to fix the H/W buffer size error and/or audio clock error?

I have a MBOX2 PRO which runs through a Firewire 400 ExpressCard (Siig 2 port as mentioned in the Troubleshooting guide). I don't know if that could possibly cause any problems.

Thanks to all!

Here is my SANDRA:

Computer
Model : Dell Inspiron 1545
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz
Speed : 2.53GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Mobile, Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 3MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 12-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Computer
Platform Compliance : Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
Mainboard : Dell 0G848F
BIOS : Dell A14 12/07/2009
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB PCMCIA USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Chipset
Model : Dell GM45 Mobile Controller Hub
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 266MHz (1GHz)
Total Memory : 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM
Shared Memory : 32MB
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 399MHz (798MHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Hynix (Hyundai) HMP351S6AFR8C-S6 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-6-6-18 3-24-6-3)
Memory Module : Hynix (Hyundai) HMP351S6AFR8C-S6 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-6-6-18 3-24-6-3)

Video System
Video Adapter : Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (10 SM4.0 533MHz, 32MB DDR3, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
WDC WD6400BEVT-75A0RT0 (640.1GB, SATA300, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 8MB Cache) : 596GB (C:)
USB Flash Memory 2GB (USB) : 2GB (E:)
HL-DT-STDVD+-RW GT30N (ATAPI, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 1MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
RECOVERY : 15GB (NTFS)
Removable Drive (E:) : 2GB (FAT) @ USB Flash Memory 2GB (USB)
OS (C:) : 581GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD6400BEVT-75A0RT0 (640.1GB, SATA300, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 8MB Cache)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ HL-DT-STDVD+-RW GT30N (ATAPI, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 1MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Dell (ICH9M) LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : Winbond WPCE775LA
Audio Device : Dell (ICH9) HD Audio Controller
Disk Controller : Dell (ICH9) Mobile SATA AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : Dell (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : Dell (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 3 : Dell (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 4 : Dell (ICH9) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Controller 5 : Dell (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 6 : Dell (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 7 : Dell (ICH9) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 8 : Dell (ICH9) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Peripherals
Media Player : USB Flash Memory (1.89GB)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Network Adapter : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Wireless Adapter 1 : Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card (802.11g (ERP), WEP n-bit, 54Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line
Battery No 1 : 100%

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 3.4

Last edited by TylerW; 06-13-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Default Re: The all to famous H/W Buffer Size Error's

While I'm sure others with much better knowledge of laptops can help you better than I, I must commend you for actually posting a SANDRA with your first post!!

From this can we take it that you at least skimmed the troubleshooting?? I'd recommend any of the steps you may have read there.

Welcome to the DUC or AAF or whatever we're supposed to be called around here!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:48 PM

Yeah, I've read through some threads where people haven't posted their SANDRA on the 1st post and they get torn apart by everyone else.

As for the troubleshooting. I've skimmed it a bit, but haven't really gone into detail with it yet. I'll give it a closer look though.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 AM

Default H/W Buffer Size Error's. Dell laptop possible solution

This is possibly the most talked about problem on PT forums. Do you ever get a recording stopped by the dreaded:-

"The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently try increasing H/W buffer size (-6088)".... Arrrgh!

I thought I would share the benefit of my extensive research to explain how I have solved this problem with my Digi 003+. First, I must say I am NOT a computer wizard, I am basically trying to record music. Having comitted time and cash to a Pro Tools LE rig I wanted to make it work, and all I have done has been by trial and error. My aim was to record with the 64 sample hardware buffer setting for minimum latency so I can use multiple sends for individual headphone monitoring. (although the Digi 003+ has a low latency monitoring setting this disables all sends! so you can only use the Out1/2 for monitoring).

I am assuming that anyone reading this has carried out ALL the Windows XP optimisations suggested on the Avid website. http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=349591 This is essential. I am also assuming that you have a compatible firewire card chipset.

I use a Dell Latitude D830 with 4Gb RAM running Windows XP Pro (SP3) and PT LE 8.01. This uses an Intel Dual core T7250, 2GHz processor. It has an "onboard" OHCI compliant 1394 firewire card and 4pin socket on the side, but this is NOT compatible with the Digi rack. So, first thing I did was purchase a Siig Firewire 400 Express card, that connects as advertised with my Digi 003+. It has two 6 pin firewire 400 sockets.

The BIOS needs setting. Intel dual core processors use "Speedstep", Pro Tools seems not to like this. So, in the BIOS select "multi core support" but disable "Speedstep" and "Intel Dynamic acceleration". The downside to this is that the processor then defaults to a low speed, in my case 1.2Ghz for a 2Ghz processor (for those in the know this is 6x multiplier of the bus speed). Not good if you want Pro Tools to load and run as fast as you can. To solve this dowload a free piece of software called ThrottleStop. When you run this it detects your processor and allows you to increase the multiplier so you can run the processor at the speed it is rated. (read the warnings about overclocking, in my case I set the multiplier at 10x and my processor sits happily at 2GHz constantly) With this software you need the Power Option set for Home/Office (not Always On as suggested in the Windows optimisation by Avid.

I use a Glyph firewire drive (as my audio recording drive). I thought I would just plug it into the spare socket on the Siig express card...WRONG, it crashed straight away. So, this was the first eureka moment. Having already disabled my on board firewire driver I thought i would try enabling it again (contrary to the Avid advice), and guess what! The Glyph drive runs fine plugged into my 4pin onboard firewire socket on my Dell.! So, I have the Digi 003+ plugged into the Siig firewire express card and the Glyph drive plugged directly into the Dell firewire socket. No conflict between the 2 firewire cards, works like a dream.

Next. in the System menu> Advanced> Performance> Advanced> Memory usage as well as selecting option for Background services (as suggested by Avid) ALSO select the option below it to System Cache (rather than programs)

I have a seperate hardware profile set up for Pro Tools at boot up. This has all the items disabled as recommended by Avid EXCEPT the onboard 1394 firewire driver. But you should also disable Bluetooth. You can do it in the BIOS but on my Dell D830 there is a "wireless switch" on the left side. TURN IT OFF!!

So, after all that preparation here is the start up sequence.:-

Run MSCONFIG and disable start up programs and services as Avid optimisation instructions suggest. Exit without restart then turn off computer.

Plug in Express firewire plugged to Digi003+, plug in Glyph firewire drive and power up the drive first! Then power up Digi003.

Turn computer ON. Boot up with ProTools hardware profile. (wireless switch off if you have one!!)

Run ThrottleStop to set the processor speed. You can then Exit Throttle stop to save a little memory. The processor will stay at the speed you set with the program.

Run Pro Tools..... At last you are thinking?!

Before you start loading any template or beginning a session. In the Playback engine menu setting. Set H/W buffer 64 samples, processor 99%, one processor (yes one! or one less than the total numer of cores you have). Playback buffer Option1 (default is 2) and cache Minimum (default normal).

Additionally in the Preferences I limit the recording time to 60 minutes, and reduce the number of undo levels and auto backups. But I am not sure this affects the (-6088) error that this thread is about.

Now, the final step. Bring up Task Manager [Ctrl, Alt, Del]. Select the Processes Tab. Right click ProTools.exe, on the menu click Set Priority- Realtime. AND Set Affinity- UNcheck CPU1 (ie force ProTools to use CPU0 only). Still in Task manager processes find explorer.exe, right click, then click Set Affinity- UNcheck CPU0 (leaving just CPU1 checked). Using Task Manager to force Pro Tools to CPU0 PLUS "Realtime" priority and explorer to CPU1 (only in "normal" priority) seems to be crucial!! Exit Task Manager. (unless you want to monitor Pro Tools and other services CPU scheduling).

Then you can start your session. Phew...! Actually once you get into the routine it only takes 5 or 6 minutes to boot up Pro Tools ready to go.

Thats it. I can now get uninterrupted recording (16 track with my Audient ASP008 ADAT), with 64 sample buffer for low latency and using 4 seperate aux sends with individual monitor mixes. Believe me I have tested every H/W buffer configuration in every combination. I only hope the experience I have passed on here can save someone the months of trial and error it has taken.

Good luck. Please dont hesitate to post if you need any further details.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 AM

You are running PT 8.0.3 on W7/64 so I assume you are running the beta driver with the latest cs, am I correct? If not, you should be. Or better yet update to 8.0.4 and the latest cs release.

Have you disabled the Wireless while running PT?

Have you installed a supported Firewire controller with a TI chipset and driver?

Please note that integrated graphics are not supported.

Be sure all of your plug-ins are up to date and supported, with no questionable authorizations.

With Dells, Pro Tools runs better if all of the Dell bloat-ware is uninstalled leaving a cleaner OS.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com