Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-27-2002, 02:12 PM

Default Secrets of the Show/Hide tracks list

Are there any Secrets of the Show/Hide tracks list? Other then just turning tracks veiw on and off?

thanks
Old 05-28-2002, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Secrets of the Show/Hide tracks list

Fave,

I'm not sure if this counts, but it's not just Showing/Hiding single tracks, and it's a feature I use a lot in the Show/Hide list. It's adding or deleting a range of tracks to the already displayed tracks. It's sort of a sub command to the Lassoing A Range of Tracks function added in 5.1.1, so I'll explain it in two parts.

Lassoing A Range of Tracks

This will Show a range of tracks, while at the same time Hiding all non-selected tracks.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Move the mouse over the track icon to the left of the track name. Your cursor will become a cross hair, and you're now in Lasso mode.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Click + Hold on the icon. All tracks will be de-selected.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Drag the cross hair left to the track name and then up or down. This will select a range of tracks.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Release and the previously Showing tracks will Hide and the selected range will now be Shown.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't use this command very much, because rarely do I want to Hide all the tracks I'm working with, and then Show a different set. But being able to Add/Delete A Range of Tracks is very useful to my working method.

Add/Delete A Range of Tracks

This will Show a range of tracks in addition to the already Showing tracks, or Hide a range of tracks from the Showing tracks.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Hold the Command key while moving the mouse over the track type icon. A plus (+) sign will be added to the cross hair, signifying you're in Add/Delete Lasso mode.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Click + Hold on the icon. No tracks will be de-selected.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Drag the cross hair up or down. If you start with a Hidden track this will select a range of tracks. If you start with a Shown track this will de-select a range of tracks.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Release and the selected tracks will be Shown, or the de-selected tracks will Hidden. While leaving all tracks outside the range of tracks as they were.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hope this is useful.

Cheers,
Charles

eSession | MiLaR Forum | Facebook | MySpace | MiLaR | PSN | HdL | Projects | MiLaR Workshop

Check out John Ralston "Sorry Vampire"
Old 05-28-2002, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Secrets of the Show/Hide tracks list

Another cool related trick is if you have groups assigned (Drums, BGVs, Perc, etc.) you can hold CNTRL and click on any group in the GROUP window and all OTHER channels will be hidden. When you want all the other channels back, hold CNTRL and click on <All> in the Group window. Nice way to get to a group of tracks if you have a large mixer going.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor