Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 10:50 AM

Default wanting to use MBOX in a live performance, help?

My band is wanting to start playing to tracks live. Either using a midi sequencer like reason, or playing to recorded sounds inside protools. We have a laptop and i'm debating on a few options. First, upgrade from the 001 to the 002R. Problem solved, plenty of routing options and integrated Reason. BUT, that's a little pricey for me right now. So, i'm considering just getting the MBOX. Here's the questions: Can I route the sound out of Protools WITHOUT the click track being included but still maintain the click in the headphone feed. I know a few ways to do this with the 001, but with only 2 outputs on the Mbox, i'm wondering if this is possible. Also, Does the current Mbox software support rewire so we could use Reason at the same time? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: wanting to use MBOX in a live performance, help?

short and to the point:

Can I route the sound out of Protools WITHOUT the click track being included but still maintain the click in the headphone feed

mono...yes...set the complete mix on the left channel, and the click on the right channel. Or use the built soundcard for the click out as the click on the headphone.

current mbox software (ptle 6.1.1) DOES support rewire.

Bastiaan
Old 01-02-2004, 02:51 PM

If you have the 001 and would upgrade to and use an 002R for the live performances if you had the money, why do you need an MBox? Just upgrade the software to 6.1.1 and use your 001, or did I misunderstand?

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-02-2004, 11:17 PM

i think what you misunderstand is the hassle of lugging a 001 around to a gig. it would either mean taking a desktop, which isn't practical, or buying a PCI expansion chasis for $800, which for that price, i could upgrade. another member of the band would be buying the mbox, so it wouldn't be my money and i'm happy with my stay-at-home 001 recording setup.
Bastiaan, you mention routing the click through the onboard sound card, is that possible in protools? i though it would only utilize digidesign hardware. OR, maybe i could do this in a different program using the ASIO drivers? would much rather have a stereo mix going to the house, would help clarify all of the bells and whistles. thanks for the advice.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:48 AM

If your PC has a built in synth (just like all the soundblastercards have....)then you could use that to get the click out. You can do this trick with midi only. No ASIO or other drivers involved. Just select the appropiate midichannel, and setup the soundcard, so it will output those signals. Also make sure you ofcourse enable that card...

Otherwise...do a search for people who were stumped to hear their click out of their pc-speakers, and not out of their 001/002 etc.

Bastiaan
Old 01-03-2004, 04:37 AM

Why exactly do you want to use a Multitrack live for backing tracks? WHy not just Mix them down to a Minidisk IPod-like Device or a CDR? Mix music left and click right...FAR Too many potential problems relying on a computer playing live multitracks behind you...Get a good Mix/Master and and do What I suggest. It's what most people do, less of a hassle and works with minimal glitches...
Old 01-03-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Re: wanting to use MBOX in a live performance, hel

I agree with Sean, for a two track mix for live, the minidisc or even CD has far less risks than using a computer and DAW. No one but you si gonna hear the diff between mono and stereo most likely, pu thte click on one side and the tracks on the other.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:45 AM

all good advice. i know of the risks of trusting a DAW live. but i also know a few bands that are already doing the same with no kinks. they started by playing to an old roland HD, but now solely use a powerbook and a motu 828mkii. maybe that's more stable and reliable than a PC setup?
I totally forgot about the MIDI click as i usually just record the click to a track. I seem to recall latency becoming an issue when trying that before, but i could figure out how much to offset the tracks. WE have an Ipod, so that's an option. But i'd rather have the flexibility of a DAW. like using Reason as a sound module live. The guitarist was set to buy my 001, so i think he wants to get rid of his tascam 8-track and get a DAW anyway. thanks again
Old 01-03-2004, 03:23 PM

If you wanna go all the way don't take chances and go with the 002R.

I use my laptop with MBox for simple gigs and if must the 002R. but being fine live. just know your limits...
(Do NOT overload with plugs and Instruments, use the highest latency you can work with).
Get a powerful Laptop .