Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Question Mbox Mini w/PT10 OR Mbox w/Express

I would like some help purchasing an audio interface and software.

These are my two options:
$460 Mbox Mini with Pro Tools 10
OR
$410 Mbox (bigger) with Pro Tools Express

So basically ive tried to suss it out and the benefits of having PT10 is that there are more virtual instruments, and more capabilities of multi track recording. The benefits of having a bigger Mbox is that there are more inputs, and more on board buttons on the box itself (although i wont be needing a midi i/o or that other yellow cable i/o.)

I play guitar and sing. I have a electric and acoustic guitar, a Rode NT-1A microphone and are looking to maybe purchasing a midi keyboard. I won't be recording more than a guitar and vocal track at the same time. The midi keyboard will be usb so it'll plug right into my Mac and im guessing go straight into PT? I will also purchase an external firewire hard drive for recording to.

I keep changing my mind over which one to purchase. Any suggestions are welcome. I really can't decide as choosing either has its slight benefits and negatives.

Thank you
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Mbox Mini w/PT10 OR Mbox w/Express

I can't comment on the hardware side but I would not purchase ProTools Express. I would stick with regular ProTools.

see this thread

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=328516
Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM

The Mini is pretty limiting, and I think you'll be happier with the regular Mbox.

Also, you can always upgrade later on to full PT from Express for $399.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Dave: is that thread trying to say that express won't be updated for future os's?
nst7: how will the mini be more limiting? What will I be missing out on other than what I've mentioned?

Well I'm only 16 and I won't be doing too much professional stuff on there even though im pretty good with it haha. I guess the other option is an Mbox with PT10 which is $675. It does seem a bit pricey for me.

I guess my real question is, which will be more beneficial in my situation? Having a bigger Mbox or having Pro Tools 10? Or having both for an extra $215?

I'ts so hard to decide! Keep in mind I will be spending another $150 or so on an external hard drive and also spending aprox $100 on a midi interface, and then maybe even buying monitor speakers although I do have some expensive sennheiser monitor headphones.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 PM

The Mini has only one mic input. If you want to record with 2 mics (like one for voice, one for guitar), you can't do it. Whereas you can on the regular Mbox.

Also, the Mini uses USB 1.1, which requires that when you want to track with low latency, you use the mix knob, mixing your dry signal with what's already recorded. This is not ideal, and you will not be able to track with plugins this way (such as hearing a reverb as you record your voice) because it will not allow you to go down to a low enough buffer (hence the mix knob). The regular Mbox being USB 2.0, will allow you to record at a buffer of 64, allowing you to track with plugins if you desire.

Also, the Mbox has a little more in the way of monitor control, and goes up to 96k, and has a digital in/out, allowing you to expand a little if you need to later on.

I think you would outgrow the Mini very quickly.

All in all, if you can get the regular Mbox with PT10 for $675, that would be best in the long run, and the most price effective. Even if that means you have to wait a bit longer to get the other things you need.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 PM

Thanks again nst7.

I agree with what you're saying about not being able to record with 2 mics, I didn't think of that!

I'm going to need to track with plugins as you're saying too, so that will be more beneficial.

I'll speak to my parents and see if I can go for Mbox with PT10 option!

It seems as though it will last me a lot longer too and if I ever needed to record a larger project like a band it would be helpful instead of screwing around later on.

Thanks heaps.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 PM

I would agree with everything that NST7 said but here is how I would priortize your choices: First choice is to get the Mbox with Protools 10. Second choice is to get the Mbox Mini with Protools 10. Third choice is to get the Mbox with Protools Express. In other words, I think you will benefit from getting the full version or Protools now. The Mbox Mini is not so bad for where you are right now. You can still record two channels with a mic preamp on one for mic'd vocals and use the 1/4" line input for guitars with a pickup. If you want to record acoustic guitar with a mic, you can always record in two passes. This will also reduce leakage between the tracks. By the time you want to record a band, you'll be wanting a bigger interface anyways (much more i/o than the bigger Mbox provides).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Also, the Mini uses USB 1.1, which requires that when you want to track with low latency, you use the mix knob, mixing your dry signal with what's already recorded. This is not ideal, and you will not be able to track with plugins this way (such as hearing a reverb as you record your voice) because it will not allow you to go down to a low enough buffer (hence the mix knob). The regular Mbox being USB 2.0, will allow you to record at a buffer of 64, allowing you to track with plugins if you desire.
Could you please explain this in idiot terms as I'm not that educated about 'tracking'. I think i know what you mean, but just to be sure.

Will I not be able to listen to my voice through my headphones while recording vocals with reverb because there will be a delay? Is that what you mean? Thanks!