Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-02-2001, 11:17 AM

Default Digital or Analog Mixer?

I'm looking at a Mackie 1604 mixer (which is
analog) to use w/digi. I will be doing some
MIDI. Does it matter wether I have an analog
or digital mixer? Is there anything I can do
with one as opposed to the other?
Thanks, Tom
Old 07-02-2001, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Digital or Analog Mixer?

it all depends on whether you're using the mixer to simply monitor your instruments before entering the Digi, or if you want to use it for more elaborate mixing and automation.
If you go digital, the latter can be done and quite impressively at that. I would look into a Yamaha 01V, or even a Roland VM-3100 if your needs are small. This would mean re-routing your tracks from PT back into the mixer to apply effects from it, or use hands-on automation with motorized fader.

Myself, I got used to mixing within the PT environment, so my need for a mixer resides on the 'front end' of things. I simply wish to monitor the keyboards, guitars, bass, etc., without having to open a file in PT and arm a track, as this can be very annoying, particularily in those times when you just want to jam with a couple of people, or switch from one instrument to the other to get a groove going.
With this said, an analog mixer would do a great job, such as the Mackie you mentionned, or a $300 Behringer(MX2004) which also sounds great.
Another thing to consider is the plug-ins which will soon be available from Waves in RTAS format. Considering this, it made my decision much easier as far as digital vs. analog mixers. It's a lot simpler to do everything within one environment, especially when you're dealing with quality compressors and EQ's like the Waves series.
Again, that's just what works for me, as the guy next door may really need an 01V for the type of music he records, and the way he's used to doing things - and that's all good...

pk
Old 07-02-2001, 05:18 PM

the 01v also has adat out - that frees up the inputs on the 001..........
Old 07-03-2001, 04:49 AM

I've been there...
Prices (Especially compare to Mackie) - Not some much difference.

Digital:
- MIDI Automation of the entire system + Motorized Faders...
- Additional Outputs... using ADAT & SPDI/F A/Ds built on console.
- Sometimes better A/D Convertors than ones on the 001.

Analog:
- Motorized Faders cost more and if broken you'll pay much more than on Analog console (why on analog sometimes faders provide quality loss after "non-perfect" repair).
- Price. Analog can provide more for the same price.

But that's it.
No much difference except more features on digital as more money to spend on any problem.
While limited number of faders on Live Perfromance could make one crazy here it doesn't metter if you got 9faders because you're doing all stuff for recording.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:46 AM

As stated wisely before, this matter comes down to your preferred method of working. Personally, digital mixers give me a nasty twitch...
Seriously, If I were working with tape, or to a stand alone digital recorder I would opt to go with a digital mixer. But with PTLE you are going to have MANY redundant functions.

RM
Old 07-04-2001, 03:53 PM

well, whatta ya know...

I just got a Guitar Center catalog in the mail and the Roland VM-3100 digital mixer is on sale at $549.
Upon reading the specs, it looks like quite the winner, too.
It has 12 inputs (2 XLR), great effets, and more importantly, an 8 bus configuration, which would mean, very Digi-friendly...
Just thought I'd let you know.

pk