Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2020, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Avid will announce new DSP product(s) next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
Now that it’s announced, and specs are there (coreaudio, <1ms latency, onboard DSP) I wonder this - if you are using it with another platform (Cubase etc.) and decide you no longer want the Pro Tools subscription/ yearly update, will the hardware continue to work? Will you still be able to get updated drivers for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YOu get a one year subscription license for Pro Tools included after that you can renew or it turns into a perpetual license. Meaning that the software and hardware will keep running with the current version of pro tools you have but you won't get any upgrade.

technically that means that if you don't want to pay subscription then pro tools will keep working on the last version you had. If there's plugins in there that were on the support plan and you do not have a license for it, from my understanding the plugins will no longer work.

The interface should still work on it's own, but as an interface only, you won't get any of the additional benefit of the interface.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-12-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
So if I am using an HD i/o and HD Omni with HDX cards, I cannot get the automatic low-latency by disabling non-DSP plugins while in Record like you can now with the Carbon interface?

How can I even have the HD i/o and Carbon be combined on one system?
apparently from the webinar (we've not been told prior) this is something that will come software based for HDX users down the road in 2021.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-12-2020, 01:39 PM

So they are changing up the whole way that Protools systems connect then? Getting rid of the Digilink connectors? and thus preventing you from connecting any expansion systems? No more connection to HD I/O units?

How do they get over the 32 i/o limit with this box? Are they going to release some other AVB enabled i/o boxes in the future? And no Windows support for how long?

25 inputs just seems so...quaint in 2021.

I think I'll keep my Red 8 Pre for awhile longer yet.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-12-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
So they are changing up the whole way that Protools systems connect then? Getting rid of the Digilink connectors? and thus preventing you from connecting any expansion systems? No more connection to HD I/O units?
I imagine, in time, Avid will answer these questions :)

It's a pity it doesn't support Dante as well as AVB though...
Old 11-12-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:

How do they get over the 32 i/o limit with this box? Are they going to release some other AVB enabled i/o boxes in the future? And no Windows support for how long?

25 inputs just seems so...quaint in 2021.

I think I'll keep my Red 8 Pre for awhile longer yet.
no they are not

this is a different product that is aimed toward the project studios that do not already have HDX cards, it's simply a different type of connection. I'm speculating here but it maybe also for ease of use for on road recording with AVB systems.

There's no mention on when for Windows, if at all.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-12-2020, 03:15 PM

I am also wondering about the 32 IO limit, but I'm not even sure if Carbon goes UP TO 32

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
The interface should still work on it's own, but as an interface only, you won't get any of the additional benefit of the interface.
It should work. Like HD drivers should work forever? If you have first-hand knowledge that it will remain supported or that drivers will be free, I’m happy to hear that. Otherwise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2020, 04:06 PM

Mac only. Windows does not support AVB natively. Questions about when Windows will have been asked as far back as 2013. There is at least one software - expensive - and one hardware solution that I know of, but I have no knowledge of if/how well they work or if they would work with this new interface.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-12-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
this is a different product that is aimed toward the project studios that do not already have HDX cards, it's simply a different type of connection. I'm speculating here but it maybe also for ease of use for on road recording with AVB systems.
AVB isn't a home studio protocol. It's a full blow professional networking protocol. Why they dropped Thunderbolt for AVB is asinine.

I wouldn't be able to use this system for a touring show. My last tour had around 110 inputs. This is not even in the same league.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-12-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
AVB isn't a home studio protocol. It's a full blow professional networking protocol. Why they dropped Thunderbolt for AVB is asinine.

I disagree with you.

This article covers tons of info...

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...-carbon-review

I'll quote it here... they explain it better than I could

and I quote:

"Why AVB?

To connect with AVB instead of Thunderbolt might seem an odd choice but the decision is driven by a desire to future-proof Pro Tools Carbon from the inevitable march of progress in computer data connectivity.

While connectors come and go from computers the ethernet port seems likely to be around for a long time, although on some laptops this has to be via adaptors.

The current MacBook Pros work with Pro Tools Carbon via a Thunderbolt 3 to Ethernet adaptor.*

One other thing to be aware of is that if you are using an Ethernet port to connect to Pro Tools Carbon via AVB you will have to use a different port for other Ethernet duties such as Eucon or connecting to a network.

The choice of AVB might surprise some but Avid have been using AVB in their line of live systems like the S6L for years. Unlike Dante, it offers deterministic rather than best-effort delivery."