Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-11-2001, 10:05 AM

Default RAM leak still there (Protools running low on memory error)?

I've been getting a strange error with protools lately. "Protools is low on memory. Try alocating more memory to Protools". I've
got 150 meg allocated to Protools and 80 meg allocated to DAE. All this mainly because we record as much as 48 tracks simultaneously for as long as 90 minutes. The waveforms take a load of Ram. Anyway, this error shows up when the computer and Protools are left open for an extended period (overnight for example) and I try starting a record of 32+ tracks. No other apps are running. My system is a Mix 24 with 2 vintage farms, G4 450 with a Bit 3 expansion chasis, ATTO Dual SCSI, IBM 75gig ATA internal for Audio files. I'm running 5.1.1. On occasion I'll get the error after recording an hour continuous and PT's crashes and upon reboot none of the audio files are in the session. They can be Re-imported (48 tracks OUCH) from the Audiofiles folder.

Anyone else experience this?

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 10-11-2001, 11:28 AM

Default Re: RAM leak still there (Protools running low on memory error)?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tim R.:
I've been getting a strange error with protools lately. "Protools is low on memory. Try alocating more memory to Protools". I've
got 150 meg allocated to Protools and 80 meg allocated to DAE. All this mainly because we record as much as 48 tracks simultaneously for as long as 90 minutes. The waveforms take a load of Ram. Anyway, this error shows up when the computer and Protools are left open for an extended period (overnight for example) and I try starting a record of 32+ tracks. No other apps are running. My system is a Mix 24 with 2 vintage farms, G4 450 with a Bit 3 expansion chasis, ATTO Dual SCSI, IBM 75gig ATA internal for Audio files. I'm running 5.1.1. On occasion I'll get the error after recording an hour continuous and PT's crashes and upon reboot none of the audio files are in the session. They can be Re-imported (48 tracks OUCH) from the Audiofiles folder.

Anyone else experience this?

Tim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim,

Go to setups-preferences-operations. Change the amount of time which you can record from "use all available space" (something to that affect, I am not in front of a rig) to a fixed amount of time. I have found that 140 seems to be the cutoff. That should cure the error message.

Regards,

Chris Richmond
www.wavedigital.com
Old 10-11-2001, 01:26 PM

Not just a copy of 5.1.1 but ANY other version of P.T
Old 10-11-2001, 04:45 PM

Knobturner,

You are right, I have older copies of Pt, and I need to keep them there. Are you saying that even though it is opening 5.1.1 it is taking ram allocation from older vresion?

If that's true, I believe you, but how could that be possible? I know for certain that when I open sessions from Icon that they are opeing in 5.1.1 -- even if I didn't recognize it for what it was, it says 5.1.1 when it launches.

Let me know if this is what you mean,

Thanks for the input. I got your other response a couple of weeks ago too.

Mike
(323) 851-0299
[email protected]
www.tfpost.com
Old 10-11-2001, 05:56 PM

I get that too! It drives me insane... It didn't make sense to me I mean I would think 1.5GB of RAM would be enough!!! And I have moooore than necessary allocated to Protools and DAE...
It only happens occasionally.... If anyone knows how to fix this it would be a great help.
Thanx!
Old 10-12-2001, 12:16 AM

Tim

I have found that for some reason when I launch from the Protools application icon (or alias), it loads with all of its allocated ram. But when I launch from a session icon, it loads with about 2/3rds allocated ram.

Someone suiggested that it was because it was launching a different copy of 5.1.1, but after a sherlock search I discovred that I have only one copy of 5.1.1. in the computer

I don't know how to solve this problem, But for the time being I am trying to remember to launch the Protools application first.

Does this fit in anywhere with your problem?

-Mike
(323) 851-0299
[email protected]
www.tfpost.com
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 AM

I ran into this last night. I was digitizing some vinyl and had several of the waveforms up at once in the edit window. I started getting that error msg and other weirdness, and I (stupidly, in retrospect) restarted, zapped the PRAM, started looking at settings, etc., when the root cause was having over 6 hours of stereo files up in the edit window. Duh.

One thing, though - the session was irretrievably hosed. Simply deleting waveforms, relaunching ProTools, even trying the settings stuff recommended earlier in this thread did not resolve the problem. Launching a new session and pulling the files over from the busted one did, though. Lesson learned.
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM

My celebration was short-lived. I have tried everything I know of and read here. Changed allocation from "all available", trashed prefs, restarted, zapped PRAM, launched from icon... I'm down to reinstalling software. Wish me luck.

I have been running PT on this machine for several years and this is my first encounter with this, and now I see it all the time. What changed????
digi 001, PT LE 5.3