Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-17-2020, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Dear Avid, I am an ultimate user but this 32 channel limit!

Maybe it's like the record companies. They resisted going all-in on streaming services for years out of fear that it would cannibalize physical and a la carte downloads from iTunes.

Then, one day, digital streaming was more than 50% of their income. It no longer made any business sense to prioritize physical.

If they haven't already, I assume that Avid will reach the same pivot point and embrace Pro Tools as a platform/service that scales horizontally with the user's needs without regard to physical constraints. They are already doing that on the sales side with subscriptions, at least.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:50 AM

The things one posts at 2:30 AM while procrastinating from an overdue project...
Old 05-18-2020, 05:51 AM

Old 05-18-2020, 06:48 AM

My way of seeing this whole thing is that Avid is comfortably sitting in the big budget industry (Hollywood), and for now, they are able to stick to their own rules. That's why we can see that they don't care about Reaper, or other solutions as competitors. Their business still works as long as they play with the big boys. I really wish they would stop all this I/O limit, automation limit, stereo limit bs, have one single version of Pro Tools (Ultimate of course) and realise they would't loose that much, since they would definitely still keep a lot of their (leaving) customers, and still keep the big budget industry to their selves...
Old 05-18-2020, 08:37 AM

In fairness, Avid has made a few concessions over the years. There was a time when we "didn't need" track freezing because we were all supposed to be using Avid hardware that handled the DSP load. They eventually added support for third-party interfaces and track freezing.

The high-end market is profitable but isn't really growing. Some of the updates over the last few years indicate that they are trying to accommodate the "prosumer" market without alienating their traditional base of high-end customers.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:29 PM

I’ve been teaching PT for years as part of a tech course at my country’s leading theatre school. This year, due to students being physically in different places due to lockdown, we were unable to get PT running on over half the students laptops. Spent two lessons trying to get everyone on the same page, before deciding Reaper was the better solution. Within five minutes everyone was on the same software (including download time! - PT @2+GB took an entire lesson to download for some students (let alone license issues etc), Reaper @17MB took seconds to install and get running).

When the students asked me why I would use PT, all I could tell them was that it came with better built-in VIs and I was used to the shortcuts after decades of using it.

The track count thing came up in our discussions around larger setups and after I explained the ridiculous track count limitations they all decided they would never bother with PT as it seemed like a dinosaur to them in comparison.

I had to admit I was feeling the same way. I doubt Avid are going to see an ongoing subscription from that institution again. Reaper has won in that instance.

I would love to be able to track everything at once in one daw at my studio thru my Motu interfaces. I have been burned by Digi, then Avid hardware becoming obsolete (828 -> HD but I gave up at HDX) and costing tens of thousands to upgrade. I won’t ever do that again, but I certainly feel the limitations of track counts regularly.
I recently bought a Dante 32x32 interface for $2k NZ which I’d love to use in conjunction with my setup, but it won’t gain me anything in PT.
Three of my five jobs planned for this year were track outputs of greater than 32, so it was Reaper to the rescue... I’m slowly getting used to it and guess it’s just a matter of time before I have to move to it full time.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:38 PM

My impression is that HD (ultimate?) is being directed more toward video/motion picture post-production work while vanilla is aimed at music production.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:41 PM

Same software with standard having some limitations. All about the money.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:26 PM

Yeah, I do music for large scale installations and projects, as well as film. So I need ultimate for my 5.1/7.1 mixes, but that doesn’t deal with my non-standard format projects. The ability in Reaper to click a button and make a single track 64 channels wide is amazing, and sorely lacking in PT.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:54 AM

Quote:
My impression is that HD (ultimate?) is being directed more toward video/motion picture post-production work while vanilla is aimed at music production.
that would be wonderful - I'm into music only and all I would need in Vanilla:
1. no track limitation
2. vol trim and region automation
3. correct side chain ADC