Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 07-16-2001, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Tutorial for getting started?

I have a 450 mHz Cube with 128 mb of ram. ABOUT THIS COMPUTER shows 30.5 mb for PTF and 29.2 mb for DAE. I'll allocate 56mb for PTF and see what happens.

John Link
Old 07-16-2001, 09:10 AM

I increased the minimum size for PTF to 31k (to agree with the suggested) and the preferred size to 56k. When I launched PTF I got an error message saying that there wasn't enough memory to run DAE (whose memory I had not changed). I reduced the preferred memory for PTF to 40k but then the bounce to disk failed again.

I note that OS takes almost 50k.

Any suggestions? Maybe the trouble is related to what extensions I'm using? I really don't understand just what all of that (extensions enabled or not) means.

John Link

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: John Link ]
Old 07-16-2001, 09:48 AM

please give your system info. in the absence of any info other than single 5,400 rpm drive I would say back up your disc, initialize, reinstall all software, follow digi instructions and repeat the process.
Old 07-16-2001, 09:50 AM

450 MHz Cube with 128MB ram
OS 9.0.4

John Link

Old 07-16-2001, 05:35 PM

yeah, you shouldn't be getting that error message trying to bounce 2 tracks of protools free. plenty of people are running it on powerbooks without a second drive and experiencing good performance up to a point. so I would still refer to my last post as what to do, unless other people suggest simpler, less time-consuming solutions.
Old 07-16-2001, 06:37 PM

You say the OS is using 50K? You probably meant 50MB. That's an awful lot of memory even for 9.0.4. Sounds like you need to do some extension / system streamlining. There are some shareware programs out there that help with this such as Extension Overload. Also check www.xlr8yourmac.com for advice on how to speed up your syst. Basically, if you don't need it to do whatever your doing, turn it off/ disable it. I'm doing fine w/96MB RAM w/OS 9.0.4, but my system is BARE BONES when running PTF. No desktop pictures, no menu blinking, no network/ethernet/open trans, NO M$, etc. Even when I run my normal ext. set the OS only uses about 30MB, so I think you could do some trimming. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2001, 10:34 PM

How would I know what exensions to turn off? Most of them mean absolutely nothing to me. Is there somewhere that they are documented?

The error messge from PTF upon failure to bounce suggests removing some plug-ins. What is a plug-in? For that matter, what is an extension? How are they different from each other? And how are they related to programs?

Why isn't the operating system smart enough to figure out how to manage all this stuff? I'm starting to feel like I did back in the days when I had to allocate space for files on disk drives, and if I didn't do it right the calculated results of my program would not be kept. I was so happy when operating systems were made smart enough to allocate space for files because I certainly couldn't figure how how to do it. Is this situation similar, or am I missing something? I'm not interested in extensions, I just want to get my sound file onto a CD!

Thanks to all of you for all your help.

John Link

P.S. The OS 9.0.4 base set takes 40MB.

Old 07-16-2001, 10:39 PM

John
>>>When I then launched PTF I didn't see the previous error message about Digidesign INIT but PTF was obviously not working. (Actually the computer wouldn't restart from the menu so I had to hold the button.)<<<

This indicates to me either an extension conflict or some directory damage. Run disk First aid to see if you have a volume bit error. Those kind of things can wreak havoc with PT and cause all kinds of strange behavior.

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: MacDaddy WGAR ]
Cleveland, OH
Old 07-16-2001, 11:10 PM

Disk First Aid said that my hard drive is o.k.

John Link
Old 07-16-2001, 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Banjoman:

I have allocated 56MB memory to Pro Tools and it runs fine on my G3 300MHz with 128 MB

Banjoman

What do you mean by 56MB allocated to Pro Tools? Minimum? Preferred? And what about DAE?

John Link