Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Default U.P.S. wattage's

Hi guys, what ups sizes (wattage's) are you putting on your systems (FOH rack, console surface, stage rack)?? And also are you separating (putting one ups on the FOH rack and one ups on the console surface or combining them on one ups??
Old 06-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Re: U.P.S. wattage's

I'm not sure of the wattage, but I've never had a problem putting both the computer (FOH) and console on 1 UPS. I only put 1 power supply from each on a UPS, and run the other off a regular receptacle.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:32 AM

I have a Profile with a Mix rack and I have a 900 watt UPS. It's one that monitors the loads, and it reported that when both the surface and mix rack are powered up uses less than 30% of the load. When the load is like that, it increases the amount of time it will run on battery to something like 50 minutes. I think the specs say that it can run 9 minutes at full load. That's something to keep in mind when searching.
Sacramento, CA
Old 06-12-2012, 10:55 AM

Thanks noclevername! That's the direction I'm needing.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM

The bigger you go the better.

In real life situations I have seen they will only keep up a fraction of what you expect them to. Just witnessed a power failure at Sonisphere where we lost main generators and swap took about 10-15 minutes to go over to spares, 1 SC48, 2 Profile systems and some lights desks @ FOH all on independent UPS's and I did not see a single desk that was able to hold these minutes.

You are supposed to swap out the batteries like once a year but let's face it, who does? Also you are supposed to keep them charged but often racks stay in the warehouse for quite some time and then when they roll out and are powered for like half an hour and something happens to mains they won't have enough juice.

So the bigger you go, the better
Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 AM

I have 1200 watts in our VENUE systems. I only have one power supply for the control surface and one for the FOH rack and the clock in the UPS. I can get about 45min - 1 hour on it...WHEN it is charged. But obviously, hoping that I don't have to use it...

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 AM

So Ken, you only are pluging in one of the two psu on the foh rack and one on your profile surface, I guess the others are off the wall?

I have a DShow with one sidecar so thats 6 psu's for me! (at foh)