Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 PM

Unhappy 002 Rack Connection Issue

Hi all,

My name is Niko and am brand spankin' new on this forum.

I just picked up a used PowerMac G5 dual 2.3GHz w/ 4.5GB RAM and am having a heck of a time connecting my 002 R. Basically, when I connect the interface to the front or rear firewire ports of the computer, the indicator LED on the front of the 002 doesn't light. I've gone through the following:
* Used new firewire cables from the 002 to the computer
* Re-installed PT twice
* Reset the PRAM on the computer
* Verified firewire bus is functional (connected firewire drive to port one at a time and each time, the drive was able to launch - even w/ firewire 800)
* Connected 002 to my MacBook Pro laptop (w/ Intel chip) and verified PT is able to launch
* Checked the firewire status in the system profiler and (with the drive connected directly to the second firewire port on the 002) the drive was showing up but the 002 is presumably an 'unknown device'
* Connected 002 without external drive connected to it (connected drive via USB)
* Checked all over Digi's site that I meet the minimum hardware and OS requirements
* I've cleaned all the firewire contacts with compressed air
* I've updated OS X with automatic updates as well as offline combo updates
* I've tried out a ton of combinations of cables
I've determined that the audio hardware itself is good on all accounts but it's just not communicating with the comptuer which appears to be good as well.

I did use the 002 on XP before but I'm fairly confident that this has nothing to with the functionality of the hardware since it doesn't appear that the hardware itself has firmware versions to update - it's the software which has the updates.

Any ideas? I'm going a little nuts.

Cheers,
Niko
Old 08-27-2008, 01:57 AM

Default Re: 002 Rack Connection Issue

Hi Niko, sounds like the dreaded power harness failure. It's very well documented, do a search. Also Digi are happy to help on this issue, you just need to contact them.

A good way to see if your a potential sufferer is to look at your serial, if it has anything other than a G, i.e. A-F, then it's a high probability. The issue wasn't fully addressed until Revision G.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifektor View Post

I did use the 002 on XP before but I'm fairly confident that this has nothing to with the functionality of the hardware since it doesn't appear that the hardware itself has firmware versions to update - it's the software which has the updates.
There is up-datable firmware. If required, you're usually prompted the first time you launch PT (e.g after an update). However, there is also a way to force the unit into update mode manually. Here's how it's done on a 003 (see link below).

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=225512

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Avid

Quote:
* Connected 002 to my MacBook Pro laptop (w/ Intel chip) and verified PT is able to launch
That would seem to indicate there's nothing wrong with the 002.

Which version of Pro Tools do you have installed? Which OS version are you running?

Have you tried launching from a new admin account?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:20 AM

Greetings Dougfather,

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll check out the serial number for good measure but I'm pretty sure the symptoms I'm experiencing aren't the power harness issue as I have no issue using the 002 with a different physical computer (same OS X versions). I'll read a little more about it and if worse comes to worse, I'll give Digi a buzz for some troubleshooting help.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the 003 info - I'll definitely research the 002's ability to reset the firmware if this something the 002 is capable of :)

Good looking out!

To DigiTechSupt,

I have PT 7.4.2 on Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 with combo and auto updates.
I am going to double check permissions on the default admin acct I'm currently using; perhaps I'll create a new acct w/ admin rights and see what happens

================================================== ====

Thank you everybody for the helpful hints - more heads are better than one (and that one is really frustrated

I have a few more techniques I'm going to try and will update soooooon

Cheers,
Niko