Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM

Default LE delay compensation plug ins

Delay compensation in pro tools LE.

I know the basic that you can see how much delay you have on each track when
using plug ins. And I know about using alternate + key H to open your shift window
and tick earlier and write how many samples delay, and off course add delay you may have on your mastertrack plugins. So far no problem.

Lets say you have a delay 4096 samples 85 mill. Sec. on one of your tracks.

The problem is after bouncing. Because your bounce will now start 85 mill. sec earlier, you move your track.
If your original sessions starts 0:02:000 typical doing
A tv-spot and you after bouncing, spot your new master track at the same time
0:02:000 it will not fit but start later exactly 85 mill. Sec. because there is silence the first 85 mil. Sec.
So you have to spot 0:02:000 minus 85 mill. sec.

Off course you can just move your new master track, edit the silence out and bounce again but the idea was to send this first new mastertrack to the editor in Avid or Final Cut.

Am I doing something complete wrong here or does this make sense for any one.

Thank you

Why can LE make compensation for the delay, TDM system can, It must could be done in the software system ?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: LE delay compensation plug ins

Quote:
The problem is after bouncing. Because your bounce will now start 85 mill. sec earlier, you move your track.
Why are you starting your bounce earlier? You should still start it at 0:02:00:00 and you'll be fine.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM

I understand you wondering. But if I have a delay like this 85 mill. sec, - and you off course have move your track 85 mill. sec
earlier because of the delay, you need to bounce earlier, otherwhise you will lose the first 85 mill. sec.
Does this make any sense to you ?
Thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 AM

Slim's right (he usually is). The bounce doesn't need to start at the beginning of the first region boundry. It can start 85 mill in. Alternatively, if you want the region starts to line up, trim the 85 mill of silence of the start of the bounced file.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Sorry guys but if your move your track 85 mill.sec. earlier and dont bounc 85 mill.sec. earlier you will
for sure loose 85 mill sec. in your bounce track.
And yes you can trim 85mill.sec. after bounc in Pro tools, but if you wanted to bring your bounc track direct
to a Avid it is a problem because Avid can not edit in mill. sec.

To make this work right you need a "beeb" and a "videosyncpoint." on a referencetrack from the editor, and a beeb on your audio track, lets say just 10 sec. earlier the program starts.

When you move your audio track that have delay you have 10 sec of space before the sync, thats plenty of space.But as you are still bouncing from the editors syncpoint, and the editor in Avid or Final Cut will use this syncpoint and your beeb on the track it will be in lipsync.

Sorry I should have specified in the beginning that I was doing post for video.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. Hope it all make sense.