Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Breathy vocals and vocals in general

Hey everyone, I'm new to protools and i've been trying to record vocals with sort of a breathy almost whispery quality, sort of like chino of the deftones if you know them. i'm not playing metal, mostly ambient type stuff but i can't get a level right without it clipping or just sounding really [bleep]. what are some good ways to maximize the breath. im using an MBox 2 by the way.

also, does anyone have any tips for recording vocals in general? everyone always says "make sure you use compression" well i do but it doesnt seem to affect the overall sound at all so maybe i'm doing it wrong.

thanks!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Gettin Breathy vocals and great vocals...

Yep, you're doin it wrong.
There's a great educational DVD, BTW, that talks about some of this and some other great recording/PT techniques, by a guy named Russ Long (called 'Russ Long's Guide to Nashville Recording'); Published by Las Vegas Audio -- google it. It's about $30 or $40.

First, I have much better luck with a really good microphone, like a Neumann U87, or a ribbon
If it's a ribbon, tho, gotta use lots of Preamp (~60-70db). Secondly, gotta have a pop filter, mount the mic above the singers head but facing downward.

Third, set up your compressor. I just use a crappy Behringer Composer Pro, but it works great
(Of course, it's nicer if you have something like a Focusrite Producer Pack MkII).

Set the ratio about 2 or three, fast attack & release, and bring the threshold up (watching your Db meters) until you get a couple of Db reduction while singing.

Once this is done, in order to get a good SNR, I bring up the expander/noise gate threshold until my ambient noise goes away -- watch the meters in PT.

Using this technique, you get a great sound, very little distortion, and a clean signal.

HTH,
Therm
Old 01-24-2007, 02:19 AM

Or…

Run the vox to a bus, compress the living snot out of the bus, roll off anything under 5k (ish, move around to find best sound) and bring up under vocals to taste…

Instant breathy air…

N
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 PM

WOA... Dejavu.

"Double, triple, and quadruple breath takes. This makes them louder, richer, and if you do it right, you can't even tell they're doubled, cuz you're whispering. And you don't need a Neumann U87, a pencil, or Izotope, compressors, or black magic...

It works, trust me. (also try putting a layer of whisper takes above the main vocal that is being sung, that sounds cool...) Now all you would have to do is blend it to taste.

Cheers,
~Ben~ "