Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 02:24 PM

Default PMCD creation with Jam 5.0 / Superdrive

Has anyone created an acceptable PMCD using Jam 5.0 and an Apple Superdrive?
I have a client that is releasing a low budget Japan only "Best Of..." CD and he
would like me to try this rather than spending larger $$$ at the Mastering Lab or Sterling Sound.
Is this a workable idea or will the pressing plant just throw it (the PMCD) back at me?

I know the common (best) way is using a Sonic Solutions or Sadie platform & high quality Plextor
burners but I would like to try and save this guy some $$ if I can.

Also, does anyone know if you can check for low error rates & zero CU errors with Jam,
and will the program print a timecoded cue sheet?

It already sounds like it's a bit much for the Jam/Superdrive combo but just thought I
would see if anyone has had any success.

Thanks..
Old 02-20-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: PMCD creation with Jam 5.0 / Superdrive

The only program that will produce a PMCD is Sonic Studio. Everything else is just a Red-Book CD. However, the plants will take a Red-Book CD produced from Jam. Jam will print out a time code cue sheet, but it won't check for errors. You need a separate hardware error checker for this. If you send the CD with the cue sheet, the plant will check the CD for errors before making the glass master. If it doesn't pass, you'll have to send them another one. Most CD plants are taking CD-R's and transfering them to a DDP format before cutting the glass master. Most of the time this isn't a problem. If you want them to cut the glass master directly from the CD you send them you'll have to make a special request. Some plants will do it, some won't, and some will say they will but end up transfering to DDP anyway. Good luck!