Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-23-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Protools 64-bit edition

If you clicked on this link, it means you are as curious as I am what we could do with Protools if we were able to take advantage of the AMD Athlon 64 and the Apple G5 processors. Since both processors are 64-bit , it would be possible for Digi to write a 64-bit version of Protools TDM/LE for Windows and Mac. With the extra bandwidth, I bet Protools would be unstopable. No more sluggish redraws in PT6, quicker latency times (or next to no latency), a quicker overall response.

I'm very, VERY close to upgrading my system to a Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-DX system. But I'm not sure my Digi001 will work properly. Or if Protools 6 will install on Windows XP 64-bit edition. Hmmmmm.
Jayman #9
Old 11-23-2003, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Protools 64-bit edition

I consider myself lucky enough to have 6.1 at this point! But a 64-bit version would be nice.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 11-23-2003, 05:34 PM

would it be too much...to ask digi if they could get protools to take advantage of hyprthreading?
Old 11-23-2003, 07:05 PM

Hi!
With the release of the G5, and AMD entering the fray, 64-bit computing seems to be "all the rage" for those that cannot seem to be happy where they are, instead searching every near-by island, somehow thinking it "mnight be better than what I have now." Others just like the thrill of new stuff.

Some threads on the TDM Mac forum targeted the question of the possibility of a 64-bit edition of Pro Tools , and Mac stuff related tot he G5.
(for those unfamaliar with how 32-bit works, do some reading on OS's and memory use, addressing, etc. Diminishing ignorance is bliss).

From the Mac TDM forum: Kenn LeGault from Digidesign had this to say on 64-bit:

Hello,

It's worth asking: what is a "64-bit app" anyway? Is there such a thing on a G5/OSX system?

There are two things to consider when talking about "64-bitness" ...

First, there's the address bus and address registers. The G5 supports 64-bit addresses so, in theory, a "true" 64-bit application could address 2^64 bytes of memory (this is a very large number), rather than 2^32 bytes of memory (4 GB). However, the problem here is that OSX is not a "true 64-bit OS" since it doesn't let any single process (application) access more than 2^32 bytes of memory (4 GB). It's true that the G5 is "a bit better" than 32-bit systems in terms of addressing (pun intended):

On a G4, an individual application can access "only" 2^31 bytes of memory (2 GB). The G5 lets a single application address twice as much memory as the G4, or 2^32 (4 GB). It's true that the G5 allows you to put twice as much RAM in your computer as compared to a PC -- 8 GB rather than 4 GB -- but 8 GB is "only" 2^33 (again, a "bit" better than a PC).

For database applications and some specialized scientific applications, having a 64-bit logical address space is important (even if you don't have more than 8 GB of physical RAM available), since it simplifies how the code is written to access bazillions of records in a database (using a so-called "64-bit flat address space"). However, Pro Tools (and most other applications) don't really care about 64-bit addressing. It doesn't buy us anything. Two or four gigabytes of memory address space is more than enough for >95% of the applications out there.

The second important part of "64-bitness" is that there are 64-bit data registers and a 64-bit FPU (floating point unit) in the G5. But guess what? The G4 already has this feature! We've had 64-bit ("double-precision") math code in our plug-ins for quite some time (and many third party plug-ins use 64-bit internal math in their algorithms, too). So, our 64-bit "double-precision" code will continue to run on a G5 just as before, except for the fact that the G5 runs much faster, and has two FPUs. So, while the G5 chip is certainly more "powerful" than the G4 in terms of floating point operations (it can do more per second), we don't need to change our C++ code, and we don't even need to recompile our existing code. Our plug-ins will take advantage of the new G5 performance automagically.

So, don't get too hung up on the notion of "64-bit computing." If you're running on a "true" 64-bit OS (like Microsoft and perhaps Apple may ship someday), and if you're running a 64-bit database or scientific application, you'll see a difference. Otherwise, 64-bit addressing doesn't really help most applications.

Regards,
Kenn

--------------------
Kenn LeGault
Director of Software Engineering
Digidesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:48 PM

Very clear and concise. An excellent read. Very inspiring and insightful. But can you explain the part after "Hi!" ?
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-23-2003, 09:35 PM

Hey Jayman#9,
I was thinking the same thing you were!! That would be great to see the performance of a Pro Tools TDM or LE system for that matter on a 64-bit system. Just think, it would be an LE users dream come true! I also read where you mentioned about where you said you were close to upgrading to the new AMD 64 chip and asus mobo. Is WinXP 64 bit ready? I was watching an info-mercial and they were talking about the new windows OS being 64 bit and 32 bit ready, but didnt say anything about XP being 64 bit ready. That would be cool if it was!! But it is so expensive to upgrade to 64 bit stuff right now, im sure in a few months itll go down. Take Care man! -Eric
Old 11-24-2003, 11:10 PM

Hey PRS, I read on the internet that a beta version of Windows XP 64 (for the Athlon 64) is released and the full version should be ready sometime in the next few months. An Intel Itanium version is already available. And if you read the quote from the Digidesign guy a few replies above, Windows XP 64-bit Edition, is the only true 64 bit OS out there!?!? Interesting.
Jayman #9
Old 11-24-2003, 11:13 PM

Another note, even though Protools won't benefit from 64 bit computing, I bet Windows XP would run amazing in true 64 bit running 32 bit apps!!!!! I'm willing to be a ginipig!!
Jayman #9
Old 11-24-2003, 11:39 PM

There's no reason to expect that it would be amazing, or improved in any noticeable way. And it seems likely to me that the 'gang in Redmond' will just be adding more crap to intrude on privacy, and more security-threatening 'features'.

Quote:
Another note, even though Protools won't benefit from 64 bit computing, I bet Windows XP would run amazing in true 64 bit running 32 bit apps!!!!! I'm willing to be a ginipig!!

Old 11-25-2003, 05:03 AM

Hello. Jayman #9, actually as was stated by Kenn LeGault, the majority of computer software will NOT benefit from 64 bit computing, not just Pro Tools. And like tele player points out, XP 64 could just as easily be worse than it could be better.

This in a way reminds me of higher sampling rates. If you ask most A/D converter manufacturers, they will say the overriding factor for offering higher sampling rates is market demand, not actual sonic benefits. However it seems to me that it was they in fact that created market demand by offering the higher rates in the first place. Similarly, it seems a very small percentage of all software that is ever run on computers will ever benefit the slightest from 64 bit. However, by offering it at all in the first place, it seems they again are creating market demand, as you can see by Jayman #9's and other people's response.