Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Exclamation The Ultimate Question! (Someone help.. if you dare?)

Okay, I've still not got the hang of this website but here goes the question that has bugged the hell out of me, and has done for ages!

How on earth do you play live?!?!

I currently have a Microkorg, Pro Tools 8.0 with an M-box 2 and a spare laptop that runs vista.

I hear you need to sync your synth with the laptop like you would do on a PC as i've done on my PC? I have no idea, someone please, explain or list a useful website? This is a really important and hard subject to find out about online I've noticed.

I see "Owl City" and "Unicorn Kid" as good examples of what I'm trying to figure out. They tweak things, check their laptops, I don't know what's going on, are they playing their session on the laptops on their softwear? And when their pressing buttons on the Microkorg are they switching loops? And if so I have no idea how they do so.

This is a very big interest! And I'm desperate to find out how I could approach and achieve this, thank you very much!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Question! (Someone help.. if you dare?)

Do you need to sync the Korg? What is bundled with the Mbox 2 and Pro Tools?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraternize View Post
Okay, I've still not got the hang of this website but here goes the question that has bugged the hell out of me, and has done for ages!

How on earth do you play live?!?!

I currently have a Microkorg, Pro Tools 8.0 with an M-box 2 and a spare laptop that runs vista.

I hear you need to sync your synth with the laptop like you would do on a PC as i've done on my PC? I have no idea, someone please, explain or list a useful website? This is a really important and hard subject to find out about online I've noticed.

I see "Owl City" and "Unicorn Kid" as good examples of what I'm trying to figure out. They tweak things, check their laptops, I don't know what's going on, are they playing their session on the laptops on their softwear? And when their pressing buttons on the Microkorg are they switching loops? And if so I have no idea how they do so.

This is a very big interest! And I'm desperate to find out how I could approach and achieve this, thank you very much!
Yes, a number of bands and performers use laptops on stage and play a midi controller synced up to this or that virtual instrument. I know one band (the David Crowder Band) that uses two laptops loaded up with Reason 4. ONe is controlled off the main stage keyboard, and the other with a 70's style "key-tar".

They set it up pretty much as you'd expect. Midi in to the laptop, call up the VI they want and off they go. I saw them changing patches right on the laptop between songs. I had a chance to meet the band backstage and I asked them if they ever experienced laptop freezes ups or other problems and they said they never had...that everything was stable.

Yes, you can use the controller to do a number of things, IF you've set things up on the laptop properly ahead of time. And there's software out there that can be used to control everything. ( Here's another one, for example

You may also want to check out this website which is focused on using laptops in live performance. You may find some answers there.
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2019.10
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Owl city uses Reason -which has pretty good preset sounds and neat compressors and whatnot - but no vst support if you wanted to use other plugins.The good thing about Reason is that it uses very little cpu power - so if your laptop isn't very powerful it should still run ok. If you have a little bit of power I would recommend shelling out the cash for Ableton Live - its much more intuitive for on the fly live applications. It also supports vst's and you can rewire your other programs into it (For example you could use Reason inside Ableton)
Old 03-06-2010, 12:07 AM

I thought the answer to the ultimate question was....................................42?

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I thought the answer to the ultimate question was....................................42?
It's always my answer.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:02 AM

Thanks very much! I'll check out this website and see if I can succeed with this.

Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
A fellow douglas adams guy eh?
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenk2k View Post
A fellow douglas adams guy eh?
I just pulled the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy out of my DVD player What a hoot.................damn Vorgons

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2010, 09:23 AM

The answer to the ultimate question is... Post a Sandra report.

Thanks for All the Fish.