Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-24-2019, 07:51 AM

Default Major file loss on windows 10 rig NEW INFO

Error 0x80070570 is the message I get when I try to open these sessions, or if I try to copy them to another drive. Most times, the files do not even show on the screen. Its affecting things AFTER a certain date(IOW, older stuff on the same drive seems okay). One project had 2 folders(main and backup) and held 12 final mix sessions in one folder and 12 full copies in the other folder. The copies included all the audio files(copies, not links to the original sessions) and I ran all the copy sessions last week to bounce TV mixes for the client. I was able to see the files and tried to copy them to another drive(drive affected is a 6-month old Samsung SSD). When I tried to copy the entire project folder, nothing would happen. The first song's session folder copied over and works. The second song threw messages of missing files from the Backups folder(once I skipped those, the copy was complete and that song will open). None of the rest would copy and at this time, I have lost 10 or 12 songs for that client and an entire CD worth for another client

I do have the original audio on an external, but if I can't recover these files, I've lost several hundred hours of work and will likely have to reedit and remix, which will burn several hundred hours

Other stuff I tried: Did a google search on the error(up top) and got buried in unhelpful conversations and links to buy software that claims it can help. Tried accessing the drive from 2 other computers(one with Windows 10 and the other with Windows 7). Ran Checkdisk which stalled at around 20% complete and stuck there for hours. Currently unable to even view the files on all 3 systems. Any advice will be welcome, and please, please, PLEASE take this warning!!!!! If it matters, BACK IT UP and back it up to multiple drives!!! I am supposed to be smarter than this

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 12-29-2019 at 06:19 PM. Reason: followup
Old 12-24-2019, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Major file loss on windows 10 rig

Hi this happened out of the blue ?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Dave, no images you can copy the files from? It's why I image my OS and Audio drives nightly, although there's nothing mission critical as almost all of my work is one and done.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-25-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Dave, no images you can copy the files from? It's why I image my OS and Audio drives nightly, although there's nothing mission critical as almost all of my work is one and done.
Sadly no. I'm an idiot for not being on top of backups! Nobody to blame but me at the moment

Old 12-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Can you see the files if you boot up from a Linux disk? It's possible everything is still there, but the directory "structure" (or whatever it's called) got messed up. If it will take you several hundred hours to remix and edit from the original audio, it may be better to see if a data recovery company can help.

Perhaps make a clone of the SSD, and try some recovery software on the clone, if you want to try recovery software on your own. That way if you mess it up further, a professional company can still work with the original SSD.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
Can you see the files if you boot up from a Linux disk? It's possible everything is still there, but the directory "structure" (or whatever it's called) got messed up. If it will take you several hundred hours to remix and edit from the original audio, it may be better to see if a data recovery company can help.

Perhaps make a clone of the SSD, and try some recovery software on the clone, if you want to try recovery software on your own. That way if you mess it up further, a professional company can still work with the original SSD.
Would like to try the Linux route but I know absolutely zero about Linux. As for data recovery services, they are too expensive for no real guarantee of success Trying EaseUS Data Recovery software now and it is finding SOME of what went missing, but their code from my purchase isn't working and their "live support" is down at the moment(its like this crapped gets planned ahead)

Old 12-28-2019, 11:08 AM

If you haven't written anything to the drive - or not much - try Recuva.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-28-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
If you haven't written anything to the drive - or not much - try Recuva.
Dave – please clone your HDD – test the clone to see if your missing files are there (extreme longshot!) – if not, use Piriform’s Recuva on it, instead of your original HDD. (Recuva found many individual JPEGs for me – but many files and folders were missing).

You mentioned: “Its affecting things AFTER a certain date (IOW, older stuff on the same drive seems okay).”
In Settings>View update history, can you check to see if any Update/s coincide with your “certain date”? These could have been corrupted downloads. Uninstall then reinstall the Update/s. https://www.lifewire.com/fix-error-0x80070570-4687271

As a very last resort – there’s the Freezer Trick:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-freezer-trick
I’d want to find out what a DUC DUX like Darryl Ramm and/or The Weed thought of the Freezer Trick, before I tried it.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 12-28-2019, 01:40 PM

^^ depends on how you clone the drives. But yes good advice and taking a direct low-level copy of the drive before trying anything else is a good idea. But if the cloning/backup tools only makes user level copies of files it may not grab the missing files or deleted stuff etc you could otherwise recover from.

On Windows computers I'd normally copy the raw block drive by booting Linux and "dd"'ing the underlying block device (raw disk partition). There are also many "forensic" imaging tools that are usable to make a full raw clone of a drive. Like the free FTK Imager.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:13 PM

***Followup***

EaseUS Data Recovery has retrieved most of my files, BUT!!!! I am seeing some oddities on some sessions. Here's what's going on. Any ideas are welcome!

#1-I get a session to open and run and wish to save a copy to another drive but I get the message in the screen capture right at the end of the save(I did get one session around this after I deleted some un-needed tracks and renamed some that had cryptic names). FOLLOWUP: I may have this sorted; if I select all tracks EXCEPT any with missing audio, it will save a session copy(so the issue seems to hinge on corrupt/missing audio files).

#2-Some sessions will not open and give me a message that the session was created in an older version of PT(tried on 2019.12, 2019.10 and 2018.10). I can install 12.4 and see if that helps(but not today)

#3-Several tracks play fine, but show no waveform. I tried Recalculate Waveform Overview(in the Clips bin) and SOME tracks show correctly, but others are still showing the color, but no wave(Tab To Transient skips over like there's no audio, even though I can hear it).

#4-Some tracks play grotesque digital distortion(they may look fine or may show no waveform)

At this point, I have recovered 1 entire CD project(all 12 songs) and only needed to replace the tom samples that were not found. The second project is giving me the above issues. I am grinding thru and making slow progress(and I have most of the untouched audio on a backup drive of the raw tracking sessions). If I could get past the issues(1 thru 4), I'd be in good shape
Attached Images
File Type: png Save Copy issue.png (31.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by albee1952; 12-29-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Followup on #1