Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Default Controlling Eleven Rack parameters

Hi, I'm considering getting an 11R but have a few questions about configurability. What parameters can be simultaneously controlled using midi?

Essentially the kinds of things I want to do would be boost the amp's drive/volume/gain while simultaneously turning on a delay and turning up the mix of the reverb, all from one footswitch. And other similar configs, I'm sure you get the idea. I'm coming from a GT-8 where you can easily get that kind of control with just one footswitch, which makes it easy to set up patches for gigging. Then I tried an HD500, where you can't do any of that with a footswitch... it's all just on/off except if you use the Exp pedal. But the Exp pedal won't also turn anything on/off so you still have multiple toe taps.

And can you also control some of those effect modules from a separate footswitch as well? This would be useful for situations where you might want to kick on an overdrive first, then add delay or wah for a later part of a solo, then turn them both off at once to go back to your main tone.

Another question would be can you use a footswitch to change amp models while still in the same preset (rig)? It doesn't look like this is possible. It'd be great for changing from rhythm to lead w/out having two presets that also have all of the other same settings. I don't care about the dual-amp thing, but I have a lot of songs where I want something like a Fender type rhythm and a JCM or Tread lead sound, or like going from the SLO clean to the SLO drive, and just adding an overdrive to the clean amp won't cut it ;-)

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Controlling Eleven Rack parameters

I think the short answer may be: stick with the GT-8.

There is a "multi" controller in the ER, but (IIRC) it's just for continuous parameters. You wouldn't be able to control multiple switched parameters (or a mix of switched and continuous parameters) using this mechanism.

Since you're going to need a MIDI foot controller anyhow (unless you were planning to repurpose your GT-8), you might consider a controller that can send multiple messages from one switch. I know that that the Roland FC-300 can do this (check out "patch mode" in the online manual); there may be others.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

As TDD said, you can do this with the Roland FC-300, or any other controller that sends multiple MIDI messages.

But just to put it out there:

It's a pain in the ass to program.

Yup.

EDIT: also, switching amp via MIDI CC may or not be possible with the 11R, it's possible somewhat with MIDI Learn on the Eleven plugin, but since amp settings wouldn't change with it, it's not even worth setting up.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 PM

Yea, I was looking at the FC300 as a possibility. I'll check out the manual to see how to get it to work. I'm pretty much a midi novice so I'm not sure I want to deal with all that. I especially don't want to deal w/ Axe-Fx programming, from what I can tell about it ;-)

I see the multi-fx in the manual now. That could get me pretty close in most cases, especially because sometimes you can cheat by having an effect be on, but set it's mix or level at 0, so there's essentially no effect. It works as long as the effect passes signal thru, like a delay but not like an OD. Then you can turn it "on" by changing the mix to what you want.

There's also something in the manual about amp channel switching but no explanation. Is that for the amps that have 2 channels, like some of the Plexi's?

What I *really* want is for Boss to develop a new modeling paradigm that's on a par with Avid/Fractal/Line 6 (I realize they aren't equals but they're all much better than where Boss is) and put it in a processor that does all the things a GT already does ;-)

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayerjb View Post
There's also something in the manual about amp channel switching but no explanation.
Where are you looking?

Quote:
Is that for the amps that have 2 channels, like some of the Plexi's?
Probably not. Each "channel" is a distinct model.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayerjb View Post
Yea, I was looking at the FC300 as a possibility. I'll check out the manual to see how to get it to work. I'm pretty much a midi novice so I'm not sure I want to deal with all that.
One thing I can tell you about the FC-300 is that the UI will be familiar to you as a GT-8 programmer. That won't simplify the MIDI any, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding your way around.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 AM

The AxeFX is actually really intuitive once you get into it. The 11R is dead simple of course, but the AxeFX stories are greatly blown out of proportion IMHO.

I can't speak on the Roland controller, but I do know that for my money anything that has a GUI based interface makes life really easy to program. The FCB1010 is an example of one that will do mulitple CC's per stomp or even during preset changes and if I had to program it from the front panel it would have been sold on e-Bay or thrown in the trash years ago. With the GUI it's just minutes and half of that is spent loading the application.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Where are you looking?
Page 15 of the pdf manual. Under a paragraph called "Exp pedal/Ext footswitch input" it says:

You can control sweepable parameters
(such as Wah, Volume and Multi FX)
with an expression pedal, or switchable settings
(such as Rig switching, amp channel switching,
and effects on/off) with a footswitch.

Quote:
Probably not. Each "channel" is a distinct model.
Right, as far as something like the Black Panel Vibrato / Normal, or the SLO's. But some of the amps, for example the '67 Plexi or J45, have two channels that they've "blended" or "jumped" and have 2 volume/drive controls in the model. Maybe that's what they're talking about?

Quote:
One thing I can tell you about the FC-300 is that the UI will be familiar to you as a GT-8 programmer. That won't simplify the MIDI any, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding your way around.
True. I've been using GT's since I got a GT-3 back in about '98 (jeez, that's a long time ago! ;-) I'm sure it'll help that I'm used to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude
I can't speak on the Roland controller, but I do know that for my money anything that has a GUI based interface makes life really easy to program. The FCB1010 is an example of one that will do mulitple CC's per stomp or even during preset changes and if I had to program it from the front panel it would have been sold on e-Bay or thrown in the trash years ago. With the GUI it's just minutes and half of that is spent loading the application.
Thanks for the input. I didn't realize the FCB had a GUI. That would make it a lot easier!