Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-10-2002, 10:23 PM

Default Why MacOSX?

I've seen a lot of posts recently asking for Pro Tools to be MacOSX compatible.

Why? I tried using my Ibook with OSX the other day and I didn't get it. The dock was unecessary and all the menus are in different places for no particular reason.

Internet Explorer ran a little slower. That's all I tried.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Why MacOSX?

well, for one reason, Apple is now shipping OS X as the default OS. We can suspect that support for earlier version of Mac OS to slowly disappear. Also, I believe there are many advantages to OS X over OS 9 and earlier. I've been running OS X on my Powerbook for 3 months or so, and I haven't had a crash or freeze. Compare that to OS 9 on my G3 Desktop (in which I run ProTools) where I get at least one crash or freeze a week. Stability is important. I'm sure there are many more advantages that someone else can share. I hear what you are saying about OS X being quite different than OS 9, but you'll get used to it. I quite enjoy using it over 9 now.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:22 AM

I have to agree with macjam. I've been working in OS X for the last 2 months on my business computer almost exclusively and I think it's great.

Protools should be OS X native sometime this year (sooner the better I hope). If you have the time, take a look (view it all if you can) at a long QT movie from a Macworld Expo presentation about OS X. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/powerofx/
At about 24min:10sec into the vid, Doug Wyatt (from Opcode - now with Apple) gives a short demo with OS X and MIDI and how it relates to latency.

As for the OS X Dock, pin it on the right side of your screen and turn off magnification. Plus, buy RAM - lots of it. Then buy even more. Don't just think different, think multiprocessor.

It should be an interesting year for Protools users.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:41 AM

Why Mac OS X?
Simple, just to let the second processor do his job doubling the RTAS power (or HTDM)
Old 01-11-2002, 12:50 AM

Amen to native multiprocessor support.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 01-11-2002, 05:06 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> Why Mac OS X?
Simple, just to let the second processor do his job doubling the RTAS power (or HTDM) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, dual proc. support is not a function of the OS, but the application. Digi supporting OS X doesn't necessarily mean supporting DP. Although my guess is the next version will support both anyway.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:40 AM

os 10 is a multi threading, multi tasking os that supports multi processing at its os core.
That would lead me to beleive that all software run on it benefits from the dual cpu's.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:51 AM

Which doesn't mean every developer must (or will) allow the multiprocessor support...Just food for thought.

Z
Old 01-11-2002, 08:24 AM

Nothing personal but no one has mentioned anything dramatic.

1. One less crash per week.

2. Apple is now shipping OS X as the default OS

3. but you'll get used to it.

4.Plus, buy RAM - lots of it. Then buy even more.

Really ground breaking stuff. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I can't wait. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2002, 08:48 AM

The 'Feel' of the OS is where the big difference lies for me - OS 9 feels tired - OSX feels 'solid'/reliable/futuristic...
As soon as Opcode Studio Vision started 'feeling' crashy I dropped it in favour of Logic (solid-ish). When the OSX version of ProTools comes out I will drop Logic and use Protools exclusively both for composing and recording. (At the moment I still do the composing-stuff on Logic...)