Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-08-2014, 05:54 PM

Default i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Yes and socket 2011-3 supports the haswell-e i7's and haswell-ep e5 Xeons. Not the regular haswell i7's. Most x99 based mother boards can support either series of CPU. Albeit you might need ecc ram with the xeon chips. My point is you could build a rig with the $350 haswell-e i7. Have 6-cores and a solid base rig. Then as prices come down upgrade to an 18 core (or less) haswell-ep xeon in the future. And the board should also be compatible with the next generation of "e" series procs after that also.

And for my uses 28 lanes of PCIe 3 is plenty. I do think intel finally made the middle processor a serious choice though by dropping the extra lanes in the base processor. I could see where people could use the extra 12 lanes the upper two procs have.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Yes and socket 2011-3 supports the haswell-e i7's and haswell-ep e5 Xeons. Not the regular haswell i7's. Most x99 based mother boards can support either series of CPU. Albeit you might need ecc ram with the xeon chips. My point is you could build a rig with the $350 haswell-e i7. Have 6-cores and a solid base rig. Then as prices come down upgrade to an 18 core (or less) haswell-ep xeon in the future. And the board should also be compatible with the next generation of "e" series procs after that also.

And for my uses 28 lanes of PCIe 3 is plenty. I do think intel finally made the middle processor a serious choice though by dropping the extra lanes in the base processor. I could see where people could use the extra 12 lanes the upper two procs have.
If you can find it for 350$ let me know!! I have been on it since release day and it is 390$ everywhere I have been watching!! But ram is around 100$ per 4gb (more for great ram), so its going to be a bit pricey for awhile. Plus there are no 16gb sticks so a bit limited on how much can be installed. I complain about that when almost 10 years back Shan and I (among others) were spending 100$ per gb stick for ram with our Opteron builds!!

Correct on the sockets and processor support. But it follows all the same rules as the Sandybridge E's and Ivybridge E's. There is and continues to be about a 15% performance gain with each comparable E series release as well. A lot of us are running the Sandy's and the upgrade to Ivy was not worth it. It is looking a bit tempting though now though!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 PM

The two most immediate things that would affect my making the plunge right away are the memory pricing/limitations of DDR4 at the moment.
Second is the fact that my computer case has no front panel USB 3 ports on it.
I would prefer to have a more modern case that has them right up front.
I have one of the very large earlier Cosmos cases that is very roomy and easy to build with and it is a shame it has no method for me to change the front panel usb ports to usb3 ( I have looked and contacted the company).

I always preferred a full tower so that I have plenty of room for drives and flexibility, my Cosmos has all that and I don't know what the heck I would do with it. Do I have any USB 3 devices currently? the answer is no but when purchasing a new Motherboard with a majority of USB3 connectors, well you kind of want a case that will take advantage of them.

I think I'll need to be a bit patient and wait for the memory market to adjust. I don't think a lot of people with reasonably new builds are going to make the jump to X99 as it is a big investment (currently).
The potential for a new system though is really huge when doing a 4 generation upgrade.

Just my thoughts anyway. I'll be following this closely though.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkRider View Post
The two most immediate things that would affect my making the plunge right away are the memory pricing/limitations of DDR4 at the moment.
Second is the fact that my computer case has no front panel USB 3 ports on it.
I would prefer to have a more modern case that has them right up front.
I have one of the very large earlier Cosmos cases that is very roomy and easy to build with and it is a shame it has no method for me to change the front panel usb ports to usb3 ( I have looked and contacted the company).

I always preferred a full tower so that I have plenty of room for drives and flexibility, my Cosmos has all that and I don't know what the heck I would do with it. Do I have any USB 3 devices currently? the answer is no but when purchasing a new Motherboard with a majority of USB3 connectors, well you kind of want a case that will take advantage of them.

I think I'll need to be a bit patient and wait for the memory market to adjust. I don't think a lot of people with reasonably new builds are going to make the jump to X99 as it is a big investment (currently).
The potential for a new system though is really huge when doing a 4 generation upgrade.

Just my thoughts anyway. I'll be following this closely though.
I have some usb3 panels that go in an 5.25" optical drive space on your case then plug into the usb3 jacks on your motherboard. Let me know if you want 1.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-09-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
If you can find it for 350$ let me know!! (Snip)

I've seen a few on eBay for about that. And if you have a microcenter nearby, they have them in store for $300. At least according to pcpartpicker.com.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:18 AM

Anybody bought the new 5960x (Haswell-E) cpu and tried it with PT11 yet ?

If yes what motherboard, memory, graphics card and psu did you get?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I've seen a few on eBay for about that. And if you have a microcenter nearby, they have them in store for $300. At least according to pcpartpicker.com.
I checked eBay though I probably wouldn't buy one from there and nothing under 380$ now and pcpartspicker has nothing under 380$ besides the micro center in store offer, and that dont do me any good!! Price may be stabilizing all around for awhile.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Anybody bought the new 5960x (Haswell-E) cpu and tried it with PT11 yet ?

If yes what motherboard, memory, graphics card and psu did you get?
It was just released a few days ago, I doubt anyone has jumped that quick. We didn't have any of the x series processor builds the last couple go arounds here either so not sure if many are willing to take that 1000$ CPU plunge!! Plus 32gb is the most ram you can put in one until 16gb sticks are released and those will be PRICEY, so it might be a bit.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 AM

I figure we'll see some sales here and there and it will drop in price some. If there was a microcenter near me I may have already built a rig lol.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I figure we'll see some sales here and there and it will drop in price some. If there was a microcenter near me I may have already built a rig lol.
The 4790k is "on sale" everywhere for around 300-310$ from the 340$ it was up till the 5 series release. So 300-350$ for the 5820k is a killer price for 2 more cores.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10