Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-06-2020, 12:09 PM

Default Reason Rack AAX -

I'm opening this thread for discussion on the Reason Rack AAX version. I downloaded and installed it this morning. Several issues already!!!
1. It does NOT authorize with my Ignition Key, only online authorization, with no option to use the IK either. I reported that to Reason Support.
2. After authorizing, the rack opened on an instrument track...only where the rack should have been was nothing but white space. I finally had to close PT and reboot my PC, then it came up as its supposed to in the session. (I reported all that to Reason Support as well.)

3. I pulled an instrument into the rack, and immediately the CPU usage meter is pegging red, even though it was barely at 20% prior. I played a couple notes off my MIDI controller, and that was okay. But when I slid in a simple MIDI track to play some chords, and hit play, I get the "You're out of CPU" pop up message and the meter is bright red!! That makes NO sense at all.
4. I thought when I did the upgrade from 9.5 to 11.3 it would override 9.5. But apparently I still have 9.5 too. Is that the way it should be?

Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated. This is first, as I've never really had any major problems with Reason before. Not with Rewire, not even with VST hosting in standalone. And, its takes quite a full rack for Reason to peg my CPU into the red. Something is amiss, but I have no idea what.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Reason Rack AAX -

Whoa, that doesn't sound good. Mac users having same experience?
Old 05-06-2020, 01:34 PM

Update: After re-booting my PC THREE times, I was finally able to get it all working. I have 5 instances of the rack on 5 different instrument tracks each playing a different VI plus some fx, plus one instance on an Aux track for delay effect. So far CPU meter around 45-55%. So that's better. Still no way to access the IK yet though. We'll see what the Reason support desk says.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:46 PM

reinstall code-meter After removing the current version.

I now see ignition key. no longer need internet auth.

Will try the 5 x 5 you mentioned above.

Peace
https://www.n1m.com/datatunesdetroit
Old 05-07-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
reinstall code-meter After removing the current version.

I now see ignition key. no longer need internet auth.

Will try the 5 x 5 you mentioned above.

Peace
https://www.n1m.com/datatunesdetroit

Where would I find the new version of code-meter?

Old 05-07-2020, 06:32 AM

Another feature with the new Reason rack is the ability to use their version of the SSL channel strip as individual controls. It will be interesting to compare, say, the EQ strip with others like Waves CLA or others like that. Same for some of the other channel modules such as the gate, or the master bus compressor all of which can now be used as individual inserts like any other plugin.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Another feature with the new Reason rack is the ability to use their version of the SSL channel strip as individual controls. It will be interesting to compare, say, the EQ strip with others like Waves CLA or others like that. Same for some of the other channel modules such as the gate, or the master bus compressor all of which can now be used as individual inserts like any other plugin.
cool
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-07-2020, 01:34 PM

For using processing plugins, you can think of the Reason rack as one giant channel strip. Granted, you can only insert their plugins (or third party rack extensions - of which there are several), but you can make a nice fx strip for audio processing using the Reason plugins.

For VI's, you've got all the Reason VI's plus any VI RE's out there that you can use. Lots of ways to combine, layer, use the Combinator, etc to create massive patches.

Now...if they would just add allowing the VST hosting in the rack, you'd be able to do just about anything!

Old 05-08-2020, 04:37 AM

Donald, have you been able to get MIDI notes out of the players recorded to another Instrument track in Pro Tools?

I'm assuming this is a limitation in PT as it works in Ableton Live as it should. So far, I've only been able to get the players to output the single note that is being triggered, not all the notes in the chords.

It's been a few years since I've used Cthulhu, but I could have sworn I was able to do this with that plugin. Perhaps I'm just dreaming that I did.

For reference, this is what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/9SR_qQDGHuI
Old 05-08-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Donald, have you been able to get MIDI notes out of the players recorded to another Instrument track in Pro Tools?

I'm assuming this is a limitation in PT as it works in Ableton Live as it should. So far, I've only been able to get the players to output the single note that is being triggered, not all the notes in the chords.

It's been a few years since I've used Cthulhu, but I could have sworn I was able to do this with that plugin. Perhaps I'm just dreaming that I did.

For reference, this is what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/9SR_qQDGHuI

Regarding Cthulu, you recall correctly. I've done the same thing. But its been a while since I've used it. As I recall you had to set things up a certain way between the Cthulu instrument track, and the VI instrument track for it all to work correctly.

I haven't tried doing any of that yet with the Reason rack with the players, as shown in the video. Seems like it ought to work just fine, though. I'll be playing around with it more today and tomorrow, so will see if I can get it all to work right.