Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 04:28 PM

Default Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating Project

Hi, having issue with Creating the initial Protools First session..Protools First Help says: You need to be online and signed in to be able to "enable' your Protools First "first session' and after the Initial 'first session" one does not need to be Online , I have followed every conceivable correct procedure, i am fairly experienced with software etc.. i suspect 'alien' plugins , I use UAD Apollo Twin Duo, aThe aggregate device offered by Protools is fine (i use Mac I'm on OS sierra) and have plenty System.. I have Logic 10 on this machine too..

One obvious Problem is: this dialogue below..

this message comes up after i cancel the 'session creating" message stays frozen for ever!! as below...

Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating "Project Cache" while creating "Y23xnzbsoD5OauwQvQGkHa" while creating "Q6KEioqDmb-KMluBXAZlFc.ptproject".

Cannot get passed this error/message... Any suggestions??

Thanks
Old 06-19-2017, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating Pro

Give this a try:

Q) Why do I get the error "Permission denied (13) while creating "Project Cache..." when trying to create a Project?
A) This is typically seen on Mac systems where permissions are set incorrectly.

Get Info on the Pro Tools folder in Documents
Set Privilege it to Read & Write for your user account. (Check the Project Cache folder inside the Pro Tools folder to make sure the change was applied)

Here is a link to the Pro Tools First FAQ page, where that was copied from.

Let us know if that fixed the issue for you.

System Details
Old 12-24-2021, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating Pro

Hi there,

I recently bought a Macbook Pro (12.0.1) and downloaded Avid Pro Tools Software UPdate & Support Plan New (ESD) with my Ilock. All seems to go well - I can open old PT sessions - untill I want to create a new session. Then it saids: Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating "test".

these steps didn't help: everything was allready in write&read modus.

I don't know what to do next. Your advise is very welcome.
And Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2021, 09:56 AM

If you are using the standard version of Pro Tools, then you will not have a project cache when creating a session. Sessions are created directly in the directory specified when you create the session. You will still need read/write permission, and the instructions are the same, just apply them to whatever folder you have chosen for your sessions.

System Details
Old 12-01-2023, 12:56 AM

Go to your Pro Tools folder and open terminal. Type 'ls -l /Users/yourusername/protoolsfolderlocation' It will bring up all permissions for your folder. Most likely your folder has root permissions somewhere when it should be uuser permissions. To fix this type 'sudo chown -R username:staff "/Users/username/locationwithrootpermissions' and your problem should be fixed.