Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2020, 03:44 PM

Default Data Verification Error during 192 I/O Firmware Update

I have been trying to update the firmware on my 192 I/O, and keep getting an error, "Programming Failed: Data Verification Error on Flash Sector" - and a number that has varied over the past few days that I've tried to diagnose the issue.

The interface is unusable in its current state - it appears to be soft-bricked.

I'm running 12.5.2 HD on Mac Pro 2012 6-core running latest High Sierra, HDX x 2, 192 I/O 8x8x8 x 1

At first the update process would fail at around sector 400.

Then I found a page on the KB suggesting installing the version of DigiTest that comes with Pro Tools HD 12.4 on a macOS Sierra partition. The advice was for HD I/O but I figured what the heck.

Had some trouble setting up a Sierra partition, so grabbed a Mountain Lion partition I had lying around, installed 12.4 HD, tried again. DigiTest actually gave me a percentage progress indicator, and the lights danced a bit during the update. But it kept failing. around sector 400.

Finally got a Sierra partition up and running, installed 12.4 HD. Tried running the update from DigiTest again, and the progress indicator and light show were gone but it went to sector 880 or so before failing with the same message.

DigiTest told me I had my 192 plugged into port 2 on my 2nd HDX card. So I removed that card and plugged it into port 1 of the other card to simplify the setup. Still fails in the high 800's every time.

Tried again using the 12.5.2 DigiTest back in High Sierra. Still gets to sector 889 before failing.

In all cases, DigiTest is telling me it's going to try to bring the firmware up to 3.0. The very first time I ran it, the current firmware was shown as 1.something, maybe 1.2?; now it shows "---".

DigiTest on the HDX card is passing.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 3.05.37 PM.png (32.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-23-2020, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Data Verification Error during 192 I/O Firmware Update

This 192 must have some kind of hardware problem if the sector where this failure takes place changes each time I change something.

I kept changing variables and re-running the update. Opened it up, removed the power board from the top left hand side, blasted the sucker with compressed air, closed it up, left it off for a few hours. Made it to sector 887. Tried again right away. Made it to 899.

Came back and tried it again two hours later.

Update succeeded.

Note: the initial reason I tried a firmware upgrade was to resolve a mysterious crackling on analog outputs 7-8, which disappeared when I disabled the chassis SPDIF in, and then reappeared after a power cycle.

All channels back to working. Hope this thread provides help - or at least hope