Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Sound levels question

I'm just going to toss this out there because it is something I am wondering about and not sure where to even start looking.
I use a C|8 with 003 Rack. When I lay down tracks and play them back, the sound I am getting thru the headphones is great but the sound coming thru my new Alesis Mk 2 studio monitors is real bassie and although the volumn level on the speakers is cranked, it is lower than I think it should be.
Does the C|8 have any control over this output? Or "how do you tweek it in LE"???
Old 05-26-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Sound levels question

what do the meters look like? What are your levels there?

If you're talking about overall level of the mix, you could try a mastering limiter on the master fader. I wouldn't add that while you're recording, just at the final couple of steps.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 AM

I think what I might be hearing may be related to useing unbalanced 1/4" plugs, plugged into the back of the alesis speakers. I am going to pick up a set of balanced, 1/4" - XLR cables and see what effect that has. The speaker accepts both type of plugs in the same jack. I've never seen anything like it before.

EDIT: The meters look great, no clipping at all. It's just the sound quality is way differant than the headphone sound. There are no adjustments on the speakers, just input level.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:09 AM

Headphones are a totally different beast altogether, and should only be used for reference when Tracking ( Recording )Acoustic Instruments or Vocals, I would not use them to mix with, Headphones are much smaller so you'll probably end up over compensating for the bass which will give you a bassier mix on the Alesis. They are also closer to the ear and reflect different transients than and open air Monitor in a room.
Try mixing your tracks with the Alesis and then check your headphones chances are good it will be a fairly close representaion of what you mixed with your monitors, The sound might be a little more on the High end but that's because of the size of the speakers.