Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2009, 09:03 PM

Default Re: I Got Pro Tools 7.3 to recognize 2.7GB of memory- Here's how

Scar, very good. Not just good but enjoyable. I'm a fan. I love the /3GB sound.

Same boot.ini that I use.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Looking forward to it Scar.

As for your post asking about optimizations, I don’t create a separate profile because much like kb, this computer does only one thing. As far as non-essential devices go, yes I have disabled what is shown and much more. I stop everything in services that is not needed for PT. Startup has zero apps starting. etc etc. I run classic desktop and when I really feel dangerous I will allow "clear type".

I have been thinking about virtual memory, does anyone use an SSD for that? I'm wondering how that might work out.
I had never done that and found a couple of processes that did not need to be running. I just created a new hardware profile..No big deal. I may remove it and optimize the default now I know it works. I wanted to just go through all the trouble shooting one last time before i began to rule out anything. I think I am good now. Thanks Tom. Kevin and I are gonna shut it down for the evening and drink some diet cokes and tell some jokes.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
drink some diet cokes and tell some jokes.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Scar, very good. Not just good but enjoyable. I'm a fan. I love the /3GB sound.

Same boot.ini that I use.
Note I used your "always off" and the space /3GB per Mykhal but not the userva. That did not work for me MC.

As far as the song goes...Now Kevin want's to record a real version. See what happens when you get a buddy over here for free....LOL I just wish he was a player. He is a great writer.

I am stable and rockin for now. Man I haven't played rock guitar in a while. Amazing what effects cover up

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 11-25-2009, 09:12 PM

It'll be interesting to see if you can retain the fire. Sometimes you're closer to done than you think. Hang on to each other, it works.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Hey Tom, When you are tracking what do you run your buffer at? I am at 128. Sometimes after I get ready to mix I go to 256

DAW
-
Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Note I used your "always off" and the space /3GB per Mykhal but not the userva. That did not work for me MC.

As far as the song goes...Now Kevin want's to record a real version. See what happens when you get a buddy over here for free....LOL I just wish he was a player. He is a great writer.

I am stable and rockin for now. Man I haven't played rock guitar in a while. Amazing what effects cover up
good work scar!!! and very cool tune...got that BAD COMPANY feel to it!! NICE!!

as far as the /userva...just remember, if needed, it can stablilize your system if not enough memory is there for OS needs. anyway, glad you got it dialed in

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
good work scar!!! and very cool tune...got that BAD COMPANY feel to it!! NICE!!

as far as the /userva...just remember, if needed, it can stablilize your system if not enough memory is there for OS needs. anyway, glad you got it dialed in
Thanks bro. Does the userva cap off the ram so the system does not crash? And if it does would the system crash because protools used over it's limit? I need to understand this

DAW
-
Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks bro. Does the userva cap off the ram so the system does not crash? And if it does would the system crash because protools used over it's limit? I need to understand this
it'll cap what PTLE or any app can use. as far as what would happen...it'll just put you in the same situation as before except at a higher ram usage. IOW, whether the switches are there or not when the limit is reached the app could stop respondin', crash, or start producin' audible artifacts in the playback or recording. each situation would be dependent on the type of interrupt that is bein' issued when/while the limit is bein' hit/reached IMHO....for example...Key uses the switch and actually reached 3.12gb of ram without crashin'. he heard clicks and pops durin' playback but that was it. now had he tried to bring up QT at that same time he probably would have had more than just clicks and pops. make sense???

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 11-25-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
it'll cap what PTLE or any app can use. as far as what would happen...it'll just put you in the same situation as before except at a higher ram usage. IOW, whether the switches are there or not when the limit is reached the app could stop respondin', crash, or start producin' audible artifacts in the playback or recording. each situation would be dependent on the type of interrupt that is bein' issued when/while the limit is bein' hit/reached IMHO....for example...Key uses the switch and actually reached 3.12gb of ram without crashin'. he heard clicks and pops durin' playback but that was it. now had he tried to bring up QT at that same time he probably would have had more than just clicks and pops. make sense???
Got it

DAW
-