Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2000, 11:57 AM

Default No Reverb, No DirectX... No Dice

Despite all the problems others are having with PTfree, I got it installed. I must admit that I found the interface cumbersome and poorly implemented. Digi doesn't seem to realize that this is a Windows program. COMMON Windows features like context sensitive right click and tool tips do not exist in this program. I also find it humorous that MAC-like dialogue boxes pop up with the Chicago font. Bizarre. It seems like Digi engineers should have spent less time making look like a Mac program and more time making it a decent Windows program.

The tool tips thing would be very useful. It is a simple concept... When you drag the mouse over a button and leave it there for a few seconds, a little yellow box will appear telling you what that button does. You do not have to try it first. It is great for newbies and also functions well as a reminder. It is also possible to shut it off completely if you think it is a pain in the butt.

Overall I was VERY disappointed with PTfree for Windows. I have been using Cakewalk/ Cubase for sequencing for years. Lately I have been using Samplitude, Vegas or Nuendo for multitracking. SoundForge and Wavelab are great for 2-track mastering. I just don't understand why so many people are so high on PT. Apogee makes better hardware. Paris sounds great, comes with a control surface and includes a great comprehensive audio production package. Why PT? This Windows preview certainly did nothing to sell me.

Also.. Where is the verb? I understand the plugins are the best feature of PT.... What about verb? How can you do a project.. ANY project without some verb? PTfree doesn't even use the STANDARD DirectX effects that virtually all Windows sound programs have supported for years!

Welcome to the Windows audio part Digi. Your late and the product sucks. There are probably 15 different audio software packages that work better than PTfree (add Logic, SAW, Acid, CE pro, and Ntracks to my earlier list). I think Nuendo is probably the closest thing to PT on Windows platform. They have done a good job with the Surround thing too.

BD.
Old 10-27-2000, 01:56 PM

Default Re: No Reverb, No DirectX... No Dice

I couldnt agree with you more.
Surely digi knows that the windows platform was chosen by many who arent spooners, and like a bit of cracked software, just to feel
like they too belong to the surreal & elite world of the have and have nots.
Given that on windows their exclusive collective underpants are now on display,
PTF becomes another software Whore weve all tried, who simply appears ugly and messy on our computer beds.
I think that this move will reinforce windows user confidence in their own working kit, and put us off the dream of bedding the "maralyn monroe" that being protools.
A week ago digi001 was something I must have,
now I feel different.
If the software specs are right, and a hardware bundle suits my needs, any one of the pci cards on offering, are in the running for my next purrchase.
The MYTHOLOGY and MYSTIQIE are shattered
they can tell us what they like,we all now know that there is heaps of other good stuff out there that works.
DirectX Dverb etc,would have left a better taste in my mouth, but realy, PTF is a Bitch.
Old 10-27-2000, 03:09 PM

Is there something I'm missing??????

I have spent alot of time with many different programs, most recently vegas, cubase, etc..., I know everyone has their own tastes but ProTools is hands down the most powerful and flexible AUDIO editor on the market. If you spend the time reading the documents for Protools and learning the keyboard shorcuts etc..you can do alot more alot faster with PT than any other software. Vegas can't hold a candle.
Vegas has serious limitations, no region bins, playlists, it can't sidechain, Automation feature are limited and the internal bussing is way limited in comparison.

Cubase is horrible with audio, way to clunky.
Nuendo looks promising but it aint there yet, doesn't seem much better than vegas.

Direct X compat in PT would be nice, but with exception of the waves stuff, there really isn't any direct x plugs that sound better than Digis on board dynamics plugs.

As far as midi sequencing it is no secret, this is a serious shortcoming in PTs, but for AUDIO...ProTools rules!

Old 10-29-2000, 12:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by agarcia:
Is there something I'm missing??????

I have spent alot of time with many different programs, most recently vegas, cubase, etc..., I know everyone has their own tastes but ProTools is hands down the most powerful and flexible AUDIO editor on the market. If you spend the time reading the documents for Protools and learning the keyboard shorcuts etc..you can do alot more alot faster with PT than any other software. Vegas can't hold a candle.
Vegas has serious limitations, no region bins, playlists, it can't sidechain, Automation feature are limited and the internal bussing is way limited in comparison.

Cubase is horrible with audio, way to clunky.
Nuendo looks promising but it aint there yet, doesn't seem much better than vegas.

Direct X compat in PT would be nice, but with exception of the waves stuff, there really isn't any direct x plugs that sound better than Digis on board dynamics plugs.

As far as midi sequencing it is no secret, this is a serious shortcoming in PTs, but for AUDIO...ProTools rules!

How do you figure that Pro tools Of any Version is the most Flexible I guess so if you used to using the Mac
There is no right Clicks on the Mac
Tell me What flexibility Dose Pro Tools have That Nuendo does not
Nuendo Smokes Pro tools
You have a Tools box (right Click)
You can even Use the 1,2,3,4,5,keys to scroll through the tools
Nuendo has Grid mode Slipd Mode and Spot Mode
and Other modes
How can you say this that Pro toold is the most flexible,,,,,Neundo Has Undos Ulimited Undos and a Offline Process history.
Yo tell me How long does it take to Bounce to Disk?
from what Ive Seen its Real time this Sucks
what if I want to Render an Effect to a Track , I have to wait through the Whole song
I hope there is a way to Do bouncing in a non Real time mode.
Tell me Please!!!!
Pro tools is the most Flexible Due to what?
There is no feature that Pro Tools has that Nuendo dosnt have if so say so!

[This message has been edited by studio09 (edited October 29, 2000).]
Old 10-29-2000, 11:40 AM

I'd have to agree that PT free has shatterd the pro-tools mystique for me as well. I can forgive any latency, speed and stability problems as they are no longer using dedicated hardware, but the user interface is a bit rubbish.
Why can't you resize clips after doing a fade?
Why can I see only one plugin at a time?
Why is there no RIGHT CLICK options!!!!
Why is there no part/region support like nuendo?
Why are the supplied plugins so bad? They neither look or sound as good as many freeware vst ones!
Why can I only edit either automation or waves on a track? Any why only one kind (eg just volume or just pan) at a time?
Why do all windows open so slowly?
If it's a 'professional' tool, why no win2000/nt support? (probably cos the code has to be a bit tighter!)

A year ago this would have been an impressive program, but the pace of development on the PC platform is so fast that programs like Protools look and feel very dated now. Its a bargin for free, but a little too irritating for long term use.
I'm very grateful to digidesign for letting me know what this program is like, and I'll keep using it (protools experience still means a lot in this industry), but I can't see myself buying a system now.
I'll just have to lust after Mac Motu instead!

Old 10-29-2000, 02:49 PM

Ok, I had to intervien. Nuendo. Automation? Try doing this QUICKLY on nuendo open volume automation for 15 tracks and resize 15 tracks.For nuendo you would have to click on the little tiny drop down arrow for all 15 tracks, then to resize you would have to carefully line up the cursor inbetween the tracks till finally you get the drag down arrow, then of course repeat that annoying task 15 more times. With Protools simply Alt+click to select volume automation for all tracks at once, then Alt+click track height for all tracks at once. Another example of navigation, say you are zoomed in so one drum hit fills the screen. Now say I want to go forward in the track say 5 regions ahead. Nuendo I would have to either zoom out then click then zoom back in, or use the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen till I finally got there. With Protools I simply hit TAB a few times, Note: I don't have to move the cursor at all when I do this, keyboard shortcuts are way faster then mouse commands.
In Nuendo try using the graphical midi automation to automate a pitch bend that you want to line up perfectly with an event on an audio track. I don't even want to get into how many windows I would have to open and nonsence I would have to do to accomplish this. With Protools I do it all from one window where I can see both audio and midi information. Simply select the pitch bend automation on the midi track, draw it in, and bang. I also really hate the fact that automation on the Nuendo system is displayed below the wave form, not super imposed right over top of the wave form like protools.
These are the first few advantages of many right off the top of my head.
Old 10-30-2000, 12:17 AM

yep read the manual...and pick u tools..
I have vst32 PT LE and wavelab I run it on a PC and love it all.
my PTLE is a rock in record and audio edit
my vst is creativ with good midi and directX
they can both do a mix .some jobs is for vst
and some for protools.

and Wavelab when the job is done, for master
and burn

dont know about PTF other than its free
and seems hard to get going..and thats a shame.

Brian Uller
Old 10-30-2000, 12:49 AM

Why don't you guys read the manuals and get your facts straight. Right clicking is everywhere in Pts - right click the play button, macs DO support right click, context sensitive menus (and it's FAR easier to add loads of right click features). I use Mac PTMix plus at work and Win98 PTF, Cooledit Pro and Nuendo at home.

PTFis good. Nuendo is good, Cooledit Pro is good all for different things/reasons - pick the tool for the job. BTW PTF is £0, Nuendo is £1000 and CoolEdit Pro is £350.

PTF is THE BEST value audio editor out there.
Old 10-30-2000, 02:51 AM

Remember Pro-Tools Free is FREE!!!
You wouldn't expect to be able to produce at top 10 album on it!

If you want the full picture spend some time with the Full TDM system, and with ver 5.1 due out soon, it will blow all the competition away.

Pro-tools free is a novelty which goes a little bit further than the dodgy share ware available on the net, having saves and being fully functional!

Remember this before you start moaning!

I have been a full pro-tools user for 4 years
and feel that all those getting to check out pro-tools for free are lucky and should appreciate it for what it is, good preview!

If you disagree please feel free to reply directly but only if you have had full pro-tools experience and not a couple of hours after the pub!

Stevie C

Old 10-30-2000, 03:19 AM

EVEN FOR FREE WE DON"T WANT PT!!!!
IT SUCKS!!!