Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 PM

Default 7.4 Hiccup...

Soooooo... The question I had for the guy at AES: What if, when analyzing loops in the browser window, Pro Tools doesn't correctly identify the loop (number of bars etc). He said, "As long as I've been using it (which was since that morning) I haven't run into that issue."

Well, I'm here to tell you.... It's an issue. I just went down an old loop CD (aiff files) and many didn't come back right. A four bar loop would come up as being 7/2/448 so it would play slow and out of time. All things considered, this is a pretty amazing feat, but the fact remains that the incorrect ones are now useless and there is no way to correct it that I can find. I've tried the different "analysis plugins" and none seem to fair better.

I analyzed a folder of 276 loops and 26 of them came back presumably erroneous... Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Avid

Default Re: 7.4 Hiccup...

Quote:
Soooooo... The question I had for the guy at AES: What if, when analyzing loops in the browser window, Pro Tools doesn't correctly identify the loop (number of bars etc). He said, "As long as I've been using it (which was since that morning) I haven't run into that issue."

Well, I'm here to tell you.... It's an issue. I just went down an old loop CD (aiff files) and many didn't come back right. A four bar loop would come up as being 7/2/448 so it would play slow and out of time. All things considered, this is a pretty amazing feat, but the fact remains that the incorrect ones are now useless and there is no way to correct it that I can find. I've tried the different "analysis plugins" and none seem to fair better.

I analyzed a folder of 276 loops and 26 of them came back presumably erroneous... Anyone else notice this?
Hi Dibs,

There's a couple of thoughts and solutions for you here.

1. In our comparative tests with over 500 files, (from short/clean to long and 'sloppy'), we've determined that we hit an accurate detection mark of approx 90%. So your 26 out 276 seems about the expected result.
2. What can "fool" the detection? Odd meters (signature), too-much silence at start of file, too much silence at end of file can.
3. Tips for correcting (yes you can!) erroneous files:
Drag them in t EA tick-based track. Select it and open the EA Properties window. From your stated example above, type over the "7/2/448" (in the 'Source Length' field), with "8/0/000" and you'll see the region stretch to proper length making it usable.

Hope this helps,

-tv

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever."
Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: 7.4 Hiccup...

It does help, and like I said, 10% error rate is pretty darned good. What would be nice is some mention of this in the manual. I know that you don't want to officially print shortcomings on a 1.0 product, but with an entirely new technology being introduced into your software, these are the kinds of "real world" instructions we users need.

That being said, thank you for your eerily fast response. I know you are all probably working overtime right now and we appreciate it. Overall I'm quite impressed with 7.4.