Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Reading all this through is depressing stuff.
We have working control 24 units but with the lack of a "driver" the hardware needs to be scrapped if we move to PT11 or higher.
Very environmental !!

As they say if it ain't broke ....then we could just stay where we are??
But if Avid want us to spend more money to upgrade then yes the HDX cards are new and even the new I/O can be justified but when a perfectly good piece of hardware is just left behind when it has all the right outputs and the input but the "translator" is omitted.

As per the CPTK issue if enough of us make a noise that we won't spend money then maybe they will rethink?

The fact that it was in the "not supported but will probably work" and suddenly it moved to "definately won't work" seems strange. When was the controller "disabled" with the necessary link code removed from the final version, if the code was never there then it would have been clear that it could have never have worked (like the pro control?).

Why would you rewrite the controller protocol for every avid controller? It would not make sense to start at 0 for everthing, some things you can keep, audio engine is totally new but why change the controller engine? Did the Icons, C24, get new software upgrades to work with PT11, if not then the protocols were not changed. So a choice to "exclude" some things must have been made.

So Avid please review this decision and include the code to get the controller working again (even if at a basic HUI level) or unfortunatley I just can't make the change, it doubles my upgrade investment ££s and it is beyond my finances.
Or even a new controller card as per the C24 protocol which would "upgrade" it to a C24 for a paid fee (of course), what about that option?

Look forward to a positive response Avid or unfortunaley I will just have to keep my PT11 monies!!

Cheers
Scotsman
Old 06-29-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Analog is reparable for the most part (there are only so many VF14 tubs left in the world and nickel capsule are not repairable)

The same is not true for digital, otherwise I would still be using my Atari 2600 and Commodore C24
Funny that, because at my old workplace I had to arrange numerous (that is 3 or 4 times each on two units) repairs for our two Control 24s due to the power supplies repeatedly blowing up. Each time they went to an Avid authorised repairer (Technical Earth in London - they're great!). So this is a phoney excuse.

HUI is present in 11. This means it supports hardware even older than Control 24. This is a marketing decision - nothing more. If Avid acknowledged this, I would at least appreciate their honesty. They've created such bad feeling among users who run dedicated hardware, ruling out the possibility of using other software. This seems crazy to me. Although perhaps decisions like this explain the share price in recent years.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Chapman View Post
Funny that, because at my old workplace I had to arrange numerous (that is 3 or 4 times each on two units) repairs for our two Control 24s due to the power supplies repeatedly blowing up. Each time they went to an Avid authorised repairer (Technical Earth in London - they're great!). So this is a phoney excuse.

HUI is present in 11. This means it supports hardware even older than Control 24. This is a marketing decision - nothing more. If Avid acknowledged this, I would at least appreciate their honesty. They've created such bad feeling among users who run dedicated hardware, ruling out the possibility of using other software. This seems crazy to me. Although perhaps decisions like this explain the share price in recent years.
PSUs are easy, when you start losing control chip sets is when it gets hard.
I had to fix a custom Pro Logic decoder that was built into a rooms volume and tuning controls. First I had to find a replacement chip then pay $250 for the chip. 16 pin DIP package

HUI is MIDI, no special support needed.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
PSUs are easy, when you start losing control chip sets is when it gets hard.
I had to fix a custom Pro Logic decoder that was built into a rooms volume and tuning controls. First I had to find a replacement chip then pay $250 for the chip. 16 pin DIP package

HUI is MIDI, no special support needed.
I'm not sure what your point is here. Are you saying that Avid's planned obsolescence of the Control 24 is out of concern for failing older hardware? Or are you just imparting some of your personal experience with older hardware

Please Avid - can somebody with the knowledge of the situation please go on record and explain why Control 24's no longer work with PT11 and above.

A simple "It was a marketing decision - we want to sell more control surfaces" or, "the 64 - bit re-write would mean that coding for an old, proprietary control surface that we sold wouldn't pencil out for us" would suffice.

At least then, we would have a codified reason for this seemingly unnecessary and frankly damaging move.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 PM

I would like to take it a step further. Since I'm not sure who made the decision to just scrap the Control 24 driver, I'm asking Louis Hernandez, Jr.
President, Chief Executive Officer, Avid Board Member to step up and address the issue. Your the top dog at Avid so what is your take on the situation? Do you feel it's ok that your loyal customers of many years are getting screwed on this deal? Feel free to send me an email.

I expect no response from Avid at this point, but I'm going to keep beating this horse. :)

Now back to my Disneyland vacation with my kids.

Jamison Valerio
[email protected]
Big Ben
Control 24
Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 PM

I'm sure Avid will respond at some point. But can anybody really believe them anymore?
The problem is that Avid is a ghost town and a sinking ship. They probably don't have the money for the staff to deliver something. But hopefully if we keep ranting they'll do something.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREED View Post
I'm sure Avid will respond at some point. But can anybody really believe them anymore?
The problem is that Avid is a ghost town and a sinking ship. They probably don't have the money for the staff to deliver something. But hopefully if we keep ranting they'll do something.

It's kind of sad when put like that. Digidesign was a great company at one point. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the decline, but I was a little confused when they dropped the name "Digidesign".
Big Ben
Control 24
Old 06-30-2013, 04:32 AM

When you think that the Avid controller is the most expensive part of a PT system, to basically make your biggest investment dead on a £500 software upgrade is madness.
So for a £500 min purchase I would need to spend another £4k to "upgrade" to a C24 or £12k for a Icon command or £30k for a Icon control!!
Remembering it is just a glorified keyboard/mouse with no sonic impact on the PT output, guess it makes you think, what do I really need and is there another way?

As I've posted in the Control 24 thread, we as major investors in Avid equipment are being left behind here. As per the CPTK pressure, Avid realised what they did was upsetting those whose had just paid £1.2k and were being penalised for their loyalty, so even more with us who have all spent many times that on our Pro controls or Control 24. It is a major slap they they have not thought about our long term investments, completely ignored our loyalty and ongoing spending over the years to support our major Avid controller investments!!

So lets continue to push Avid to respond and listen to our case.

Cheers
Scotsman
Old 06-30-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
It is a major slap they they have not thought about our long term investments, completely ignored our loyalty and ongoing spending over the years to support our major Avid controller investments!!

So lets continue to push Avid to respond and listen to our case.

Cheers
Scotsman
HERE HERE
+ 100000000000000

I think that if they simply continue to leaves this in the dust ,
I simply cannot justify spending another penny on there hardware.
Leaving me with no choice but to be extremely outspoken about this, to any person who will listen if only for there own benefit to be warned that they and there product and loyalty WILL be completely abandoned possibly when they are most in need.

I think its time to spread the word of just how great avid really is.
WHAT A FRIGGIN WAIST AVID YOU ALL SUCK.

THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY IS MY FRIEND
looks like I have different friends now !
and your rules say loyalty means nothing GAME ON
Old 06-30-2013, 05:21 AM

Well we have the control 24 in our studio1 with the HD3 system and we built a custom studiodesk fitting it nicely with preamps, I/O etc on the sides. It would be difficult to have the control24 useless sitting in that desk.

Hoping someone dares to try it out.

Apogee Duet 2
Macbook pro i5 2.5GHZ, 10GB