Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2012, 12:15 AM

Default PT10 Automation no longer creating nodes on clips

PT 10.3 has stopped making nodes at the front and end of clips. You used to be able to cut a selection then paste it again and it would create nodes on the clip boundaries. This is a nightmare. We can't recut sessions properly!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 AM

Default Re: PT10 Automation no longer creating nodes on clips

Did you check "Automation follows edit" button? As I recall, it should be switched on to create nodes when moving/pasting clips.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:39 AM

Yes, automation follows edit is always on
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviesound View Post
PT 10.3 has stopped making nodes at the front and end of clips. You used to be able to cut a selection then paste it again and it would create nodes on the clip boundaries. This is a nightmare. We can't recut sessions properly!
Hmm, if you mean breakpoints with nodes, this happens with 10.3 as it did in previous versions. So no change. It works as you would like it to work here.
The only thing where it dowsn't work, is when you move a region from a non automated tack to a track with automation written on already. so if your volume is -3db unautomated and you move it to a track with breakpoints alteady in the volume line, it won't make the region -3db. But that's always been that way.

What I find rather annoying are the breakpoints Pro Tools now adds when nudging the breakpoints and your selection boundaries ar on a diagonal line. I wish I coule switch this new behaviour off.

Timothy
Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Before recutting film sessions to a new cut. I always used to pick up all the tracks (cut) and then paste them . This used to create nodes at the front and end of all the clips. Now it doesn't. Whether one of my settings has changed, I do not know. But without the nodes, the automation will not recut correctly.

Can someone else confirm that when they cut and paste a clip, that nodes are created?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Before recutting film sessions to a new cut. I always used to pick up all the tracks (cut) and then paste them . This used to create nodes at the front and end of all the clips. Now it doesn't. Whether one of my settings has changed, I do not know. But without the nodes, the automation will not recut correctly.

Can someone else confirm that when they cut and paste a clip, that nodes are created?
The only time breakpoints are not created is, when the value is the same. Meaning if your clip is automated to -3db, and at the position you paste the clip the automation is already -3db, it won't create breakpoints.

If it ain't so it creates breakpoints.

Check this vid if ya like:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8075200/Breakpoints.mov

Timothy
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM

hmmm yes yours is doing the same as mine. I definitely (PT 9) used to be able to create them for every clip. It is essential, even if they are at zero. Otherwise automation won't recut properly.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
hmmm yes yours is doing the same as mine. I definitely (PT 9) used to be able to create them for every clip. It is essential, even if they are at zero. Otherwise automation won't recut properly.
I don't quite get it why it's a problem though. Whenever there would be a change of automation where you paste the clips, Pro Tools creates breakpoints.

I must be misunderstanding.
Timothy
Old 09-29-2012, 12:33 AM

Trust me. I don't know if you work with film sessions with thousands of regions? But without nodes it doesn't work. You get all sorts of problems like ramping automation data between clips.
Be good to get a confirmation from avid tech. They never seem to reply to posts anymore
Old 09-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_davies View Post

What I find rather annoying are the breakpoints Pro Tools now adds when nudging the breakpoints and your selection boundaries ar on a diagonal line. I wish I coule switch this new behaviour off.

Timothy
This is truly annoying. Makes more work for me as now I have to delete unnecessary nodes created when I didn't ask for them.....
Nudge is Nudge. Has nothing to do with creating.
If all I want to do is move a node then Pro Tools should not be creating them.
Please fix this AVID.

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com