Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Re: TDM 64 bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Right, I don't think there's anything wrong with TDM! And I would also miss those plugins (aren't the GRM ones available as RTAS though? perhaps not all of them).
Yes!

And even though I've seen where on the web page avid states that the mixer is 64 bits this is not stated in the actual manual nor anywhere except in the publicity. That's something that merits a pro word from avid.

And I think that as one of the customers of the tdm system I need to know where tdm is going. There is still that strange dropping of the tdm plugin price and a speedy run in the conversion of all the plugins to native.

I've always preferred Digidesign for the pro approach but I see it changing...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
If you go to this page:
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-HD-Native
...then click on the Specifications tab near the top.
I've seen this. But that's advertising. No such statement on the manuals...
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcarola View Post
Yes!

And I think that as one of the customers of the tdm system I need to know where tdm is going. There is still that strange dropping of the tdm plugin price and a speedy run in the conversion of all the plugins to native.

I've always preferred Digidesign for the pro approach but I see it changing...
No need to worry about 64bit float vs.48bit fixed. All this really means is that for those that DON'T understand gain staging, 64bit floating mixer provides more headroom. For those that DO understand gain staging 48bit fixed will sound just as good.... No need to think TDM is "less than" guys....

Syn-g
www.bulletsage.com
Old 08-22-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I've seen this. But that's advertising. No such statement on the manuals...
So if its not in the manual, it doesn't exist?

I'm sure the guys at AVID would school you one here. In fact, PT 9 (without the native hardware) is the same.

Because of the nature of TDM, it is fixed point. Read the white papers on it.

This is what leads me to believe they will go floating point. Its not a bad thing. Its a good thing.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 AM

Talking Re: TDM 64 bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
So if its not in the manual, it doesn't exist?

I'm sure the guys at AVID would school you one here. In fact, PT 9 (without the native hardware) is the same.

Because of the nature of TDM, it is fixed point. Read the white papers on it.

This is what leads me to believe they will go floating point. Its not a bad thing. Its a good thing.
I now it's a good thing. I'm just trying to plan for the future. I can live with my system for at least 3/4 years even more If I decide not to follow the market pressure. But What I care for is the sound and when I see someone like Frank Fillippetti talk wonders about the hdnative I really have to separate the facts from the hipe. I decided to go full digital years ago when analog was still strong and I had in my studio an Otari Mtr90 in VGC. With the mix system was hard to keep up with the sound of the analog 24 tape. But I developed a gain structure that worked and thanks to the Channelstrip from Metric Halo I was able to get nice a "SSL" sound when the budget was small for the mixing. Now with all the wonderful plugins available a full digital studio is a much more easy task and doesn't sacrifice nothing to the sound (except the fun of turning big knobs...)

I'm fully aware of the difference between fixed point and floating point and so far 48 bits floating point (PTHD dithered Mixer - With the 56 bits accumulator) beats to death the 32 bits floating point. And as a musician I really love the "no latency" bonus of the HD systems (I even use the plugins in recording just like the hardware ones). I don't like to loose that option too. Especially because so I can pass my sessions without giving away "my" sounds. Not for my secret eq and compression but because some "genious" engineer will past my eq on a kick drum and put my name on the recording (It happened, trust me :-[)

It takes some time to really understand and master any system and now I feel that I understand my TDM PT and getting the sound I want is second nature. So I don't fear the change. I just want to know when it happens and why. I ride the future. I've always done it. But I need to know exactly where I'm heading.

My clients trust me for my judgement and taste apart from my technical skills so It's on my shoulders to chouse the right way when I face a crossroad. And that is what I expect when I surf on the DUC. To get some hint about the future.

So thank you all for your contribution to that.
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I now it's a good thing. I'm just trying to plan for the future. I can live with my system for at least 3/4 years even more If I decide not to follow the market pressure. But What I care for is the sound and when I see someone like Frank Fillippetti talk wonders about the hdnative I really have to separate the facts from the hipe. I decided to go full digital years ago when analog was still strong and I had in my studio an Otari Mtr90 in VGC. With the mix system was hard to keep up with the sound of the analog 24 tape. But I developed a gain structure that worked and thanks to the Channelstrip from Metric Halo I was able to get nice a "SSL" sound when the budget was small for the mixing. Now with all the wonderful plugins available a full digital studio is a much more easy task and doesn't sacrifice nothing to the sound (except the fun of turning big knobs...)

I'm fully aware of the difference between fixed point and floating point and so far 48 bits floating point (PTHD dithered Mixer - With the 56 bits accumulator) beats to death the 32 bits floating point. And as a musician I really love the "no latency" bonus of the HD systems (I even use the plugins in recording just like the hardware ones). I don't like to loose that option too. Especially because so I can pass my sessions without giving away "my" sounds. Not for my secret eq and compression but because some "genious" engineer will past my eq on a kick drum and put my name on the recording (It happened, trust me :-[)

It takes some time to really understand and master any system and now I feel that I understand my TDM PT and getting the sound I want is second nature. So I don't fear the change. I just want to know when it happens and why. I ride the future. I've always done it. But I need to know exactly where I'm heading.

My clients trust me for my judgement and taste apart from my technical skills so It's on my shoulders to chouse the right way when I face a crossroad. And that is what I expect when I surf on the DUC. To get some hint about the future.

So thank you all for your contribution to that.
I think you are missing my point.

WE will all know where it is headed when AVID tells us. I just brought up the fact that why is everyone assuming it is going to be 48bit fixed?

Or fixed at all.

With a 64bit OS, and PT64bit I don't see any reason for AVID to stay with fixed point.

The TDM technology is extremely old. But still completely usable still.
Though, If native systems out power the DSP, then TDM will die.

I've noticed a difference between my TDM mix stems and playing back the raw mix via Native.
Native definitely exposes more detail, even with grungy dialog.

Just because there maybe, as we are all speculating, a new DSP card coming, why do you think TDM will just "go away" suddenly?
It won't. Plugin manufacturers know there are thousands of TDM systems in use, and will continue to be used for the next 5 to maybe even 10 years.

Here is what I see. Native, TDM and TDM2. All working in harmony.

Its a good thing.