Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM

Default OT - EMT Plate

Just wondering if anyone here knows what a fair price for an old EMT 140 plate reverb would be. I have an opportunity to get one of the old ones from RCA studios that a friend recently discovered was stashed in a warehouse about 10 years ago. There are apparently four of them in the warehouse. I don't know if all four of them work or not. The guy who has it hasn't researched the price aspect yet and I haven't found any real info anywhere on line yet. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM

Default Re: OT - EMT Plate

My neighbor has one... Only he dont wanna sell it...

However, I have done some extensive comparison between his ORG and McDSP's Revolver Convolution plug EMT samplings.

In a blind test neither me or him could tell the difference.

So I would say that you are better off spending $495 on the plug - unless of course you are doing this for nostalgic reasons.

Any convolution reverb wont do this... Revolver is takes rank 1 thru' 10 and then maybe at 11 one of the others are entering the list...

I'm just done sampling my Lexicon 300 Reverb with revolver.... It took me 3 days - but man the plug sounds soo darn good - it should be illegal for children to buy

TO your ORG Q - check on ebay - I know sometimes there have been a few sold... There
Old 03-10-2008, 05:35 PM

mono or stereo?
we sold 3 stereos a few years ago for about $1k each
if they have just been sitting they may need some work
also don't just move them w/o removing the drive coil and loosing the clips or you will have an expensive repair

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 PM

I have seen them go for as cheap as $500 plus cartage, but $1k seems more like it. it depends on shape, history of care, etc.

Just Know: they are a BEAST to move and you have to check them out and re-condition them thoroughly. remember to Remove the driver from the voicecoil (the magnet that sits over the drive coil) before you transport. If you get tube electronics hum, you may eed to re-cap.

you will want to read the info at this link: DAN ALEXANDER - CLEANING AND MOVING PLATES

you should also check out this link and get one of their tuning gauges : PLATE REVERB

I would do a bunch of research before you launch into this. One false move and the thing is toast and/or parts become difficult to come by if you don't care for them in shipping....

(I helped a frieNd with 2 of them.) They're great when they work.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 PM

I oversaw moving 6 of them from toronto to los angeles a couple years ago. they can handle quite a bit of movement without breaking clips AS LONG as they are 100% upright.

For a good quality stereo with little corrosion or rust and functioning electronics, they go for just over $1k. If they have a remote, they go for maybe a couple hundred more.

they definitely bring a party to the room if you have the appropriate place to install it.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 PM

Thanks so much to all for all the info.

- 25ghosts, I have checked on eBay and couldn't find one, and no, nostalgia has nothing to do with anything, I hope, I would ever do. If it sounds great then that's what I want to have as a tool for making great records. However, I just purchased an ADL Fairchild 670 and I gotta say that, the nostalgia of the Beatles and all the rest who've used the original aside, it's the most amazing compressor I've ever used. Hands down, nothing else even comes close. It doesn't steal any high frequencies or low frequencies, it just compresses. I guess some good old analog stuff has the mojo and some doesn't. However, I'll for sure check out the MCDSP Revolver plug-in.

- Craig F, minister and doug hti, yah, the mechanical and electronic aspect of these things sounds, for sure, like something to heavily consider. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
However, I have done some extensive comparison between his ORG and McDSP's Revolver Convolution plug EMT samplings.

In a blind test neither me or him could tell the difference.
If that's true, and the plugin is only $495, seems that you'd certainly want the plugin. The hardware would lend a cooler vibe, but a bit or upkeep and/or repair as part of the package.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 AM

I've just tried Revolver and its 140 setting and compared it to the 140 from Altiverb (Wendy Carlos)...
Altiverb is MUCH warmer and deeper than Revolver IMO - and MUCH closer to the real 140 a friend of mine has.
Revolver is very tinny sounding here (although the controllability is great - especially the balance parameter).

Peter
Old 03-11-2008, 07:52 AM

Peter Are you kidding me?

Have you actually heard and compared it with a real EMT - AV has nothing on it. Nothing. Trust me - if you sat next to the real deal and compared it to the preset in AV - and would still claim that it sounds warm - then I would hit you on the head with the EMT.

Of course it's subjective what you like better - but a convolution verb should be able to play back and sample EXACTLY like the real thing sounds.

I have spent time with the real EMT and done direct comparisons and Revolver gets awesomely close.
I have sampled my whole Lexicon 300 - I started with both AV and R but after comparing 5 samplings to my real 300 then I just threw altiverb out of the session.

I sample rooms and boards several times a week. But it was not until I got R (Well had it a long time but was on 96k and could not use it) that I finally thought that Convolution Reverbs were actually there where they needed to be. I've had Altiverb for years and not used it (but tried extensively) in ONE mix. Although I really wanted to
Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 AM

Hi,

I dont think you can compare a compressor plug with a real compressor. I too own the Fairchild Plug-in and like it. However, I also own a Manley Vari-Mu (which is modeled after that fairchild) and the plug has nothing on it. As a matter of fact I have never heard a comp. plug that sound like a real outboard compressor.

However, with reverb it should be the other way around. Theoretically a Convolution made RIGHT should render a better result. Just like and old Chamber would yield a better result than a lexicon "old chamber" preset.

In a compressor world - the fairchild plug is the synthetical one
In a verb world - the reverbs (except a convolution) are the synthetical ones... A synth. reverb is nothing but a multiple delay maker. The real rooms are the real deal. Well you can record those - so you can also make and IR of them. GIven you have the right equipment to do so.