Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 02-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Default Suggestions on 8 Channel Firewire 800 audio card

Hi all, I just purchased a refurbed 6 core Mac Pro 5,1 with Firewire 800. It's replacing a Windows 7 PC with a MOTU 2408 MK II and a MOTU 424 PIC (not pcie) card for my studios B room.

The mac only takes PCIE and the MOTU PCIE cards are around $300.
At this point I'm looking at other options in the Firewire range.
I have plenty of pre options via the API 500 rack and I also have an Aphex Channel master that I've been using digitally through the Motu with good results.
This setup is for the B room to record vocals, guitar and podcasts so 8 channel is a must.
What are some options for an 8 channel firewire card with digital I/O for around the $500 range that works great with Pro Tools?

I've been looking at the Digi 003 rack, what else do you recommend that I take a look at on the second hand market?
TIA
Old 02-09-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Suggestions on 8 Channel Firewire 800 audio card

In that price range, I'd get a used 003rack and have money left over(I just bought one in mint shape from a local pawn shop for $100). For a little more money, a used Focusrite Saffire LS56 is worth a look too. If you could stretch your budget a bit, a used RME Fireface 800 is one of the best firewire cards on the market(and RME does a better job with drivers than most others)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the info Dave, it helps out a lot. I'm leaning towards the 003 mixer. I had the Control 8 and sold it for my D touch system in the A room. I still miss having a hardware controller that works well with Pro Tools. I know it kinda looks a little corney and out of date but having a controller works great with my workflow.
I'll do a quick search for the other AI you mentioned, but like I said its for the studios B room and I'm trying to keep costs down. I still need an eq and compressor too.

Matt
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpalace View Post
Thanks for the info Dave, it helps out a lot. I'm leaning towards the 003 mixer. I had the Control 8 and sold it for my D touch system in the A room. I still miss having a hardware controller that works well with Pro Tools. I know it kinda looks a little corney and out of date but having a controller works great with my workflow.
I'll do a quick search for the other AI you mentioned, but like I said its for the studios B room and I'm trying to keep costs down. I still need an eq and compressor too.

Matt
Keep in mind that the 003 is no longer supported, and at some point(nobody knows when), its going to not work any more. Having your interface AND control surface tied together might not be a wise investment. As control surfaces go, things like the Avid Artist and the new Presonus Faderport8/16 will likely stay viable for many years to come. And, an inexpensive interface(such as a used 003r) will be easier to toss out and replace(when it no longer works, or if you decide to make a quality upgrade). Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-10-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpalace View Post
... I've been looking at the Digi 003 rack, what else do you recommend that I take a look at on the second hand market
Why 2nd hand? Here's a steal-of-a-deal on a new box: http://www.proaudiostar.com/focusrit...kaAj_sEALw_wcB

I use one for remote classical gigs, audio for video shoots, etc. Solid workhorse and sounds quite good. I've read people have had trouble with Focusrite drivers; I never had an issue on Windows 7. My opinion !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-11-2018, 02:26 PM

Great advice guys thanks! I didn't think about the Mixer/Audio interface combo being non usable in the future. Guess thats why you can get a control 24 for $500
In the meantime an engineer/tech has been bugging me to buy his Neotek Series II eqs he racked for weeks. He called yesterday and I told him I needed the $ to buy a sound card for the new system, so he lent me his Steinberg MR 816x for 3 weeks and installed the Neotek Eqs taping off my DBX 900 rack.
The eqs sound freakin' amazing on Kick fo-get about it.

The MR816x was a bear to get working in High Sierra but I got it going now.
I think I'll stick with Digi/Avid products for the sound card, I'm kinda tiered of using 3rd party interfaces with Pro Tools.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I didn't think of the mixer/audio interface becoming obsolete, but I guess that's why you can buy a control 24 for $500.
I think I'll go with the Digi 003 rack, I want to try an interface made by pro tools for a change.
In the meantime and engineer/tech has been bugging me to buy his custom rack Neotek series II eqs for weeks now. He called yesterday and I told him I needed to put the $$$ towards a sound card. He agreed to lend me his Steinberg MR 816r for three weeks. He installed the Neoteks last night tapping off my DBX 900 rack for power. These things are a beast on Kick drum fo-get about it.

I got the MR 816x working, it was a bear because I'm on High Sierra 10.13.
I was able to find a post and it is a pretty simple work around every-time the system restarts you have to launch the FW control panel from the applications folder.
So I have 3 weeks and then I'm going buy. In the meantime I'll be able to make a couple of bucks back on it.
Thanks!
Matt