Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 AM

Default Lost Pan Settings at End of Mix

This was frustrating. At the onset, I'll say that my pan settings were done "manually" using the virtual knobs, not via automation. Periodically and for my final mix, I bounce to one designated stereo mix track and my normal procedure for this involves using option-click on one output, which then sets all outputs to, say, Bus 15-16. This time, I accidentally selected a mono output and all the outputs changed to that AND set all pan knobs back to the default center position. The only was I could get my panning back was to "Revert to Last Saved". Not good enough. Is this a bug or do I have to be paranoid now when selecting my output?
Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Lost Pan Settings at End of Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperbox View Post
This was frustrating. At the onset, I'll say that my pan settings were done "manually" using the virtual knobs, not via automation. Periodically and for my final mix, I bounce to one designated stereo mix track and my normal procedure for this involves using option-click on one output, which then sets all outputs to, say, Bus 15-16. This time, I accidentally selected a mono output and all the outputs changed to that AND set all pan knobs back to the default center position. The only was I could get my panning back was to "Revert to Last Saved". Not good enough. Is this a bug or do I have to be paranoid now when selecting my output?
what was missing from Revert to Last Saved ??? and try going back one Backup Session at a time and see if it you can retrieve your good panning !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-07-2017, 07:47 AM

Not a bug. You routed everything to a mono output, so yes, all panners were gone.

Set auto-backup to every minute or two and you'll never lose anything important.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-07-2017, 07:54 AM

I always hit cmnd-save before I do operations like that which are not undoable. That way I can just close it without saving and start over.

You might consider routing everything thru a aux track from the start. That way routing to a print track much easier and flexible. Also, plugins are post fader. I know many people do that. I always do.

A bug? I don't think so. Selecting a mono bus as output will of course remove panning from a track. It could of course have been in the undo cue, but it's not.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I always hit cmnd-save before I do operations like that which are not undoable. That way I can just close it without saving and start over.

You might consider routing everything thru a aux track from the start. That way routing to a print track much easier and flexible. Also, plugins are post fader. I know many people do that. I always do.

A bug? I don't think so. Selecting a mono bus as output will of course remove panning from a track. It could of course have been in the undo cue, but it's not.
Thanks for your answers to my question which I never got due to a glitch with my notifications! I'm not sure what you mean Ben "routing everything to an aux track from the start". Can you explain? Thanks!
Old 01-06-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperbox View Post
Thanks for your answers to my question which I never got due to a glitch with my notifications! I'm not sure what you mean Ben "routing everything to an aux track from the start". Can you explain? Thanks!
Shure. A little, but important piece of information I picked up when starting out with mixing in PT many years ago, probably here on the DUC, is that you don't really need a master fader on a session. Or, to put it another way, the master fader for a physical output is always there, even if you don't create a master fader track for it. The output will work, you just have no way to adjust its volume or insert plugins on it.

Another thing about master faders is that their inserts are post-fader. This is because you sometimes want to do bit-reduction and dithering on an output and you want that to happen after any change in volume on the fader. This makes it impractical when it comes to f.ex bus compression on master faders; if you touch the fader you also change the compression threshold. I like to control the compression in the plugin and just use the fader for volume.

So, I started using an aux track as my master output. Its output is set to my main physical output, its input is a stereo bus to which everything is routed, plugins are pre-fader, otherwise it's just the same. I could have a master fader for the output also, but there is really no need.

Another thing I find really practical about this is that I can quickly change the routing of this aux master, to f.ex print on a audio track. Something you can't do on a master fader. A master fader can't be routed anywhere. It's really just a controller for one physical output. Or I can set the output of my aux master to more than one destination (ctrl-select-ouput on mac), also very nice.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
So, I started using an aux track as my master output. Its output is set to my main physical output, its input is a stereo bus to which everything is routed, plugins are pre-fader, otherwise it's just the same. I could have a master fader for the output also, but there is really no need.

Another thing I find really practical about this is that I can quickly change the routing of this aux master, to f.ex print on a audio track. Something you can't do on a master fader. A master fader can't be routed anywhere. It's really just a controller for one physical output. Or I can set the output of my aux master to more than one destination (ctrl-select-ouput on mac), also very nice.
Great idea. I never thought about this, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for posting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 01-06-2018, 06:55 AM

You don’t really need to revert to “last saved”. Just save the Mix you’re working on (with a new name), and import the output s and pan data from the previous mix or last auto backed up mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 20.3.0
S1 x2
Artist Transport
Avid Control
iPad 7th Gen
HD Native
Hackintosh i9 3.6 GHz Six Core
MTRX Studio
OSX 13.6.4