Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Need help buying a mac

Hey guys,
I am purchasing a laptop to run the 002 rack with. I want the setup to run GREAT. I dont want to run out of processing after two reverbs and the such I am looking at a 1.67ghz powerbook and am wondering if this is the best route to go? Does apple stack processors in laptops? Do I need that kind of power? I would like to be able to do 32-track sessions on it..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Ryan
Old 02-20-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Need help buying a mac

I don't know how heavily you'll be relyin on reverbs, delays, basically, any time-based effects, but for certain projects I work on they become imperative, and sadly, my Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ w/ 1GB RAM does not hold up too well. I can run 32 tracks no problems, Digi plugs without a hitch, and stack up a few URS eq's, but as soon as I start looking at Sonalksis plugins (damn fine eq's and compressors), PSP Nitro (for the weirder stuff) or PSP Lexicon delays, my machine slowly raises it's middle finger and points it my way. In other words, any plugin or software instrument that is notoriously CPU hungry is bound to cause bottlenecks and subsequently steer me towards the Advil family-pack.

Not sure how much of an improvement a 1.67 would be over my 1.25GHZ, but in any case, it's still a G4, and no, Apple does not stock processors in these units, nor will we see a G5 Powerbook anytime soon (despite the rumors of a 2005 second quarter release). I don't know about you, as everyone's situation is different, but I'm getting increasingly more mixing work from various sources and I've had it with my machine choking up on any slightly intensive plugin. While I love having the freedom with the powerbook, I realize I never finish compositions with it on the road. I sketch out ideas, get some basic composing ideas down, then come home and finish the job in PT with mixing and all. So the issue for me is to now invest in a kick-ass mixing machine.

That said, I'm considering selling my Powerbook, getting the dual 2.0 G5 and add a little iBook for my travels.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:20 PM

PK,
Just admit that you miss your PC.
LOL

Track on the G4 and mix on the AMD. Heck for 380.00 you can have a complete PC now that will mix 32 tracks and over 160 effects.

Allen
Old 02-23-2005, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info! Given that I do miss my PC I think I will still be going with the PowerBook. I definately want to go with the laptop format, and I dont anticipate trying to do MASSIVE sessions with it. Have you ever checked out the TC PowerCore Firewire? It would seem that it would be a great tool to extend the power of a laptop, however slightly.. Again, no experience with it, but the descriptions and feedback on the unit sound promising. Any ideas?

I greatly appreciate your help!
-ryan