Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 08-29-2016, 04:37 AM

Default Skip the mouse and use Dock

I've really tried to navigate effectively in PT with the Dock, but I find myself using the mouse and keyboard for the most part.
Is there anyone here who eg uses the wheel effectively?

Are there any movies out there not only demonstrates the Docks features, but really shows effective use of it?

If anybody could share their workflow it would be nice:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2016, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Skip the mouse and use Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha2dorff View Post
If anybody could share their workflow it would be nice:)
Here are a couple things that are helping me so far.
For context, though, I mostly record bands & singer/songwriters, if you're work is primarily post, then YMMV:
1) Like most guys, I tend to use a fairly standard arrangement format (I/V1/PC1/C1/Br/Out/etc...) for most songs. I've found that saving the 1st 2 pages of "Soft Keys" ON THE DOCK (surface) for the first 24 Memory Locations is a life-saver for moving around the song itself.
The command is: Eucon/project/Memory location/mem loc #1, etc...
2) On the Dock Right Edit area, "Shift-Save" is set to "Save As...", just above it, "Shift-App" is set to "Close the session", and just above that "Shift-Move Sel" is set to "Quit Pro Tools".
3) I use 2 recording modes, Normal & Quick Punch, for about 98% of my daily work. So, on the Transport keys, "Shift-Rec Mode" is set to Quick Punch.
4) 90% of my scroll-wheel work is simply Zooming Horizontally & Scrolling Vertically to move around the edit window & perform edits.
5) Lastly, Page 1 (the default page) of the Soft Keys ON THE IPAD (touchscreen) has my "Top 20" most-used commands for my day-to-day. (Import Session Data, Copy to Send, etc...) This has been indispensable. The Right hand 4 Soft Keys on this page send me to my customized "Setup" page, as well as 3 other "User" pages that I've customized. I certainly appreciate the exhaustive time & effort that was put in by the Avid folks to set up 150 pages of SoftKeys, and it was a great starting point & idea factory for me personally, but when it all boils down, I simply need 2-3 pages of SPECIFIC functionality. These alone save me a TON of time every single day. I personally HATE memorizing macros that seem unrelated functionally.

Currently, I only own the Dock, not an S3. One thing that I wish is that when you banked on the Dock, it would move the selected ATTENTIONED TRACK from, say, the "Kik drum" to the "mono Room mic" track 8 slots over. Conversely, when Nudging, it would move the selected ATTENTIONED TRACK from "Kik drum" to "Snare".
Maybe it makes sense to S3 owners, but the current functionality of the Bank/Nudge to simply move around within the iPad display, but still requiring you to TOUCH a track in order to change your attentioned Track just doesn't compute???
Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought that banking/nudging on the Artist Control moved not only the "area of tracks", but the "selected/attentioned" tracks themselves???
But, like I said, I may be recalling that incorrectly...

Well, I hope something here is useful for you or someone else. They'e certainly helped me.

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 09-04-2016, 12:07 AM

Some more examples for efficient use of the wheel:
-change the Track Height
-trim the start and beginning of a clip
-leave the clip boundaries but move the content inside
I have two pages of Soft Keys setup that I use most of the time and one set for the soft key buttons below the iPad.
Many of these things work as well with the Artist Control.

Best

Mark
Old 09-04-2016, 01:53 PM

Thanks guys for your input
Your way of working is very similar to mine. Thanks for sharing!

I'm used to navigate in the edit window using the mouse and keyboard. Scrolling, change active track and set a cursor position I find complicated using the wheel on the Dock.
Yes, I can make it, but I then use far more time then mouse/keyboard.
Is that your experience too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2016, 09:07 PM

It depends: If you use a customized wheel page for the soft key buttons below the iPad the next wheel function is only button press away. Just as an example...
Old 09-27-2016, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
It depends: If you use a customized wheel page for the soft key buttons below the iPad the next wheel function is only button press away. Just as an example...
the only thing I wish with this is that there was some visual feedback to know which wheel function is currently selected with the soft keys. Soft key buttons don't have the visual feedback to say which button is currently pressed unfortunately (outline or highlighted would be great avid!). The led buttons to the right of the wheel do have visual led feedback so you know eg. that 'move sel' is the selected function currently controlled by the wheel.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Some more examples for efficient use of the wheel:
-change the Track Height
-trim the start and beginning of a clip
-leave the clip boundaries but move the content inside
I have two pages of Soft Keys setup that I use most of the time and one set for the soft key buttons below the iPad.
Many of these things work as well with the Artist Control.

Best

Mark
How specifically do you "leave the clip boundaries but move the content inside"? I'd like to be able to do that. What is the setting/function called?
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)
Old 01-09-2017, 05:10 AM

Hi,
I don't know the exact name as I'm not near to a Dock. But it's in the wheel commands section. The same command is available for the Artist Transport as well. Sorry
Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Hi,
I don't know the exact name as I'm not near to a Dock. But it's in the wheel commands section. The same command is available for the Artist Transport as well. Sorry
no prob. i'll go digging around a little later today. thanks anyway =)
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)
Old 08-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docric View Post
One thing that I wish is that when you banked on the Dock, it would move the selected ATTENTIONED TRACK from, say, the "Kik drum" to the "mono Room mic" track 8 slots over. Conversely, when Nudging, it would move the selected ATTENTIONED TRACK from "Kik drum" to "Snare".
Maybe it makes sense to S3 owners, but the current functionality of the Bank/Nudge to simply move around within the iPad display, but still requiring you to TOUCH a track in order to change your attentioned Track just doesn't compute???
Well, so and I was looking for good way to select ATTENTIONED TRACK without searching and touching it in iPad display, and as far I found the best way:
- Link Track and Edit Selection is enabled
- Move Edit Selection Up and Down ( Keyboard Shortcut P and ; ) - I have assigned this functions to the vertical touch strip.
This dramatically changed my workflow in Dock