Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 09:54 AM

Default Simply can't seem to let go of pro tools.. impossible!

I invested in Cubase 9.5 pro, and i actually do think that it's the very best "overall" daw in terms of features/performance (besides the hideous volume gain line vs the perfect way PT does it).

I planned to fully move over cause of it's much better low latency performance and sidechain ADC and vari audio, Chord track, midi plugins, expression, etc etc.

And i just can't seem to get out of the Pro Tools Rhythm.. Every day i discover a new shortcut.. today was the disable all inserts of selected track one which i didn't know could be done.. such a massive time saver, one click, all bypassed. One click, all enabled.
The key commands are ingrained in my brain big time.. and for some reason, i just can't work with Cubase (or anything else) as quickly as I can with PT.. i just zap and zoom around it so fast..

it's frustrating cause Cubase is clearly a much better DAW and i run into PT's performance limitations daily.. but I simply can't give it up!

Heck, Cubase works properly with Apollo, and allows me to max out 64 inputs (256 with interfaces like RME that have massive i/o counts. 64 is an apollo limitation for any DAW, except of course PT at 32 lol).. I can overdub and punch in properly all on the same track.. yet i STILL can't give up PT.

Cubase actually does every single thing I ever wanted.. yet somehow even my piano roll midi work is faster in PT. Cubase allows multiple parameter adjustment in event list as well as "equals" shortcuts for highlighted notes with command key.. PT can not edit more than 1 event list note at a time. I missed that from Logic.. It's in Cubase, yet i still can't get away from PT.

What the hell is it? I should have been at least 50% of the way migrated by now.
The DAW just feels right. That has to be it. the basic fundamentals of the most mundane tasks, work the way my brain is wired and make them very pleasant to perform (perfect example again, clip gain). Cubase's event info line is the best thing I ever seen, and SO cool to be able to put direct automation values in via text and match multiple points precisely.. yet, you guessed it, PT.

I could go on with 100 more things i love about Cubase that PT can not do..

But i can't seem to let PT go. I wonder if I will ever be able to.

Anyone else planned a transition due to ****ty performance, lack of features etc, and also just unable to do it?

PS 2018.4 is my least favourite release thus far
Old 04-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Simply can't seem to let go of pro tools.. impossible!

I come from a long jurney with Nuendo. Of course I was using Pro tools at big studios. I had Nuendo form version 1.6 (I really miss that version every time I see the big box on the shelf), anyway, later on I was still using version 4 till last year when I felt it was time to update.

I didn't want to spend a kidney on a DAW so I was between Cubase and Pro tools. I trialed out both versions (well, it was Nuendo
8 and PT11HD).

I started first with PT11HD and was thrilled of how fast and logical everything was, and above all it sounded very good. The mixing engine is great in PT.

Than I demoed Nuendo 8, and while the mixing engine was equaly as good as PT, I couldn't find myself anywhere with the GUI they made.

So I went with PT and very happy with the choice till now.

Version 2018.4 running great and stable as a rock on a Mac mini late 2012 I5
Old 04-16-2018, 04:02 PM

Hmmm... you make a VERY good point regarding the SOUND of PT. I came off the back of Nuendo as well (since v1.0) and finally moved fully to PT in v9 when ADC was finally implemented in non HD versions. PT makes sense, it's audio editing tools are simply the best best, clip gain is fantastic and the automation is worth the price of admission! I still use Logic for all my MIDI stuff and arrangements but once I'm done, off to PT it goes for all the tweaking and mixing! Logic is great for MIDI but awful for audio - horses for courses I guess

Pro Tools does take an inordinate amount of time to release features that seems common place but when they arrive, they are generally way better thought out and implemented than all other daws (I'll use Clip Gain and off-line bounce as examples here, I'd almost include Elastic Audio but the sound quality evaporated pretty rapidly around v8).

That's my 2 cents worth... and yes, I've played with the idea of moving over to another daw that can "do it all" (Studio One was the most recent) but you know what? I've come to the conclusion that such a daw doesn't exist - YET
Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 PM

I actually hear an improvement in sound with 2018, however I am using a newer machine because my switch from 12.7 to 2018 was done migrating to a 2010 dual hex core from a 2009 dual quad core (both running Yosemite). Not sure what difference the machine would make but I am definitely hearing things more cleanly and more together. Running the same sessions from the same drives that were migrated to the newer machine to boot. Perhaps I am misremembering but I have no complaints about 2018 so far. Running HDN and now "Ultimate."

I started in digital audio with Cubase VST 3.5. I have used Cubase as recently as v4 but it and Logic do not work the same way as PT and I move so much faster in PT.

A while back there were some graphical output comparisons posted somewhere on the net of all DAWs and you could see harmonic differences with PT seeming to output the cleanest signal. And that was before they fixed the perceived 2 buss summing issue.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I come from a long jurney with Nuendo. Of course I was using Pro tools at big studios. I had Nuendo form version 1.6 (I really miss that version every time I see the big box on the shelf), anyway, later on I was still using version 4 till last year when I felt it was time to update.

I didn't want to spend a kidney on a DAW so I was between Cubase and Pro tools. I trialed out both versions (well, it was Nuendo
8 and PT11HD).

I started first with PT11HD and was thrilled of how fast and logical everything was, and above all it sounded very good. The mixing engine is great in PT.

Than I demoed Nuendo 8, and while the mixing engine was equaly as good as PT, I couldn't find myself anywhere with the GUI they made.

So I went with PT and very happy with the choice till now.

Version 2018.4 running great and stable as a rock on a Mac mini late 2012 I5
The "feeling" of the way the fundamental program works is just so right in PT. I must admit, Cubendo is pretty good besides the clip gain and some graphics issues in Mac OS.. But PT is so uncluttered in comparison and just so easy to use.

I will say, Steinberg support is far better and although not 100% as no software is, i never have "strange" bugs in Cubase like I get with PT. Like a snap issue, a midi note disappearing, things like that. It's just very solid.

Still, just used PT all day and night for around 14 hrs, and loved it. Going very heavy with a UAD mix and using VI's as well.. UAD really works brilliantly in PT.. and it's great to fill up a mix with plugins then have all the cpu overhead left for VI's

You said it right.. "logical".. LOL Apple need a dose of that with um, Logic.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:09 PM

Up... Logic is the most illogical of them all. Well said!
Old 04-17-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Up... Logic is the most illogical of them all. Well said!
it was my first daw.. (cakewalk dots was my first sequencer lol with state of the art 40 MEGAbyte hard drive).

After knowing Logic thoroughly, almost any DAW is a snap to adjust to.

The only exceptions being Reaper and DP, which are completely and utterly illogical..(IMO).
Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 PM

I have only used one DAW and that is PT"S 10 ...I have checked out a lot of the others and I don't like the way they look.They look cheep to me .Pt's is easy on the eyes.The only one that looked ok was Reaper but I am sticking with PT's
Old 04-19-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
I have only used one DAW and that is PT"S 10 ...I have checked out a lot of the others and I don't like the way they look.They look cheep to me .Pt's is easy on the eyes.The only one that looked ok was Reaper but I am sticking with PT's
PT has the best GUI bar none.. It can be used for an entire day, every day without any eye fatigue.

Not one DAW comes close, including Reaper with any of it's skins.

One thing I noticed about Avid is, when they implement something, even if it's 5 years behind another DAW, they do it better than anyone, period.

They redid the gui in V8 i think? Best DAW gui.

They did freeze and offline bounce and inline render.. it's the best of all of them by far.. delayed but worth it.

I bet you the same will be when they re do elastic audio and add elastic pitch.. bet will be amazing.

Even if Cubase is a stop gap for me here and there, i know i will always end up with PT and i know it's going to be exactly what i need one day, completely. That's why I decided there's no way i'll stop my sub. Gotta do my bit to support Avid also.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:23 AM

I have given most of the others a spin more than once. But when any critical project is started, for me, it must be Pro Tools.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com