Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 AM

Default Protools vs Sonar or reaper

Has anyone compaired the differnce between Potools and these other DAWs?

I'm just about to consider upgrading from PT8 to 10 but i'm getting a lot options that Sonar and reaper are just as good or better without the big cash outlay.

Any thoughts
Old 11-28-2011, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Protools vs Sonar or reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi003 View Post
Has anyone compaired the differnce between Potools and these other DAWs?

I'm just about to consider upgrading from PT8 to 10 but i'm getting a lot options that Sonar and reaper are just as good or better without the big cash outlay.

Any thoughts
You already have PT Native, so already you know how it works for you. Look at the specs of PT 10 and determine if it is worth the upgrade. Try out the demos for Reaper and Sonar, compare features and workflows, and then determine if either is worth switching DAWs.

IMO, that's the best way to go because you won't get a lot of non PT votes on a PT forum.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:34 AM

yes i hear you but i was just looking for an open minded view from possibly someone who had used both..
Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 AM

Good luck because anyone with a PT signature posting on a PT forum isn't using Sonar or Reaper as the main DAW. Here, you will obviously get a lot of reasons why PT is the best (plus you already know what PT native does so nothing will be new info). The demos are the best way to go. Oh well, carry on.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 AM

i was wondering if you could do the same as like elastic audio etc in others etc

or if the audio engine sounded any better etc
Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi003 View Post
yes i hear you but i was just looking for an open minded view from possibly someone who had used both..
A nice thought, but I have found that the best way is to use the product in your own workflow, which is very telling. Not sure about demos on the other products, but the PT demo was a great idea.

That way you will be able to decide, with a little of your own research which product is the best.

I switched to Protools about 10 yrs. ago full time even though I was a die hard DP fan for years and still use it from time to time, however I really feel that with my studio as a film composer and sound designer, it's making more sense to finish everything in PT.. I am very happy with the update and have not had any problems even though I have not upgraded to more RAM quite yet. It sounds great and all my VI's and plugins are solid.

That's what I think. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM

I tried Reaper and was not impressed. To be fair, its my opinion that, once you have learned ANY daw, learning another one is actually harder as you have developed habits that you have to break

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I tried Reaper and was not impressed. To be fair, its my opinion that, once you have learned ANY daw, learning another one is actually harder as you have developed habits that you have to break
+1
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM

I agree with Al-B. I respect what Reaper offers. There is a lot there that Pro Tools does not give out of the box. But I don't care a whit about the layout and flow. Too many menus with too many options and I'm the kind of person that has to know the ins and outs of every option before I can proceed. I don't want to have to go to Reaper school to do what I want to do. I've always felt that the Pro Tools offers the best ease of use, though I have not tried every DAW available.

One thing though, I downloaded the Reaper demo just so I could generate some LTC/SMPTE audio files. That's absolutely brilliant.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM

What about Sonar..... i have heard lots of great things about it