How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Default PT9 with RME Digiface?

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at putting together a portable PT9 recording rig for tracking live bands, using an RME Digiface (with HDSPe ExpressCard) into a new MacBook Pro. I'd like to be able to record up to 24 tracks simultaneously, using 3 x 8 channel ADAT capable pre-amps (OctoPre or DigiMax FS?). Anyone have any success running a similar setup so far or any overall experience using PT9 with RME interfaces?

Alternately considering one of the Fireface or M-Audio Profire 2626 interfaces, but looking for rock solid performance and minimal headaches...

Much appreciated...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Re: PT9 with RME Digiface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at putting together a portable PT9 recording rig for tracking live bands, using an RME Digiface (with HDSPe ExpressCard) into a new MacBook Pro. I'd like to be able to record up to 24 tracks simultaneously, using 3 x 8 channel ADAT capable pre-amps (OctoPre or DigiMax FS?). Anyone have any success running a similar setup so far or any overall experience using PT9 with RME interfaces?

Alternately considering one of the Fireface or M-Audio Profire 2626 interfaces, but looking for rock solid performance and minimal headaches...

Much appreciated...

Try using the search function. There are any number of threads discussing PT9 and RME. You should find your answer there.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 AM

3 things that I know for sure:

a) ProTools performance using third-party interfaces will be roughly as good as any other host software (Logic or Cubase or something) and is only as good as the drivers the third-party manufacturer supplies (Core Audio or ASIO) - there is nothing 'magical' about Pro Tools that will improve the performance of the audio hardware over other DAW software's.

b) The best, most supported hardware for Pro Tools is still AVID legacy Hardware (HD, LE, and M-Audio.)

c) Pro Tools 9 was announced in November, featuring third-party hardware support. The software has been actually shipping for less than 90 days. No one has tremendous experience with Pro Tools 9 and *any* hardware, so keep that in mind when planning a workflow for yourself.

We have been able to assist end users with Pro Tools 9 on multiple configurations of AVID and third-party hardware, and for the most part performance has been impressive. The best results we have gotten so far is with AVID legacy hardware and manufacturers of hardware *that also develop stable software* like MOTU, who have always offered very stable drivers for their hardware, and have broad experience in software development. RME historically has had sketchy driver support, but their hardware is quite good for the money and I've heard that their driver development has gotten better as of late. But you should not expect anything different, in terms of stability- out of Pro Tools than any other DAW running on their hardware.
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promixr View Post
The best results we have gotten so far is with AVID legacy hardware and manufacturers of hardware *that also develop stable software* like MOTU, who have always offered very stable drivers for their hardware, and have broad experience in software development. RME historically has had sketchy driver support, .
This is exactly the opposite of everything I and others (including several DAW builders) have seen over the years with other ASIO DAWs. MOTU is hit or miss - sometimes their drivers are fine (usually better on Mac than PC), but RME have been rock solid for years now. Not sure where you get your information, but RME is probably the industry leader for stable drivers (I have both and have no vested interest in promoting RME).

To kevkon - I have a Digiface running with PT9 right now on my Win7 main system. Can't speak for the combination on a MBP, but should be fine. The only problem with 3rd party ASIO in PT9 currently is (for some at least) importing video/mp3 causes PT9 to drop I/O connections - just have to toggle assignments to get it reconnected, but other wise it's a very nice combination. The additional benefit of RME is having Digicheck to run hardware-fed I/O metering outside of PT - very handy esp. for live work.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Live recording ?
The Joe Co box looks handy.

~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 10.5.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 8.0.1cs2 / Magma PE6R4 / ProControl 24 faders ~ . . ~ MBP 2.66 Intel Core i7 / oo2 / Mbox 2 / Micro / Command 8 / Pro Tools 9.0.1 ~
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
This is exactly the opposite of everything I and others (including several DAW builders) have seen over the years with other ASIO DAWs. MOTU is hit or miss - sometimes their drivers are fine (usually better on Mac than PC), but RME have been rock solid for years now. Not sure where you get your information, but RME is probably the industry leader for stable drivers (I have both and have no vested interest in promoting RME).

To kevkon - I have a Digiface running with PT9 right now on my Win7 main system. Can't speak for the combination on a MBP, but should be fine. The only problem with 3rd party ASIO in PT9 currently is (for some at least) importing video/mp3 causes PT9 to drop I/O connections - just have to toggle assignments to get it reconnected, but other wise it's a very nice combination. The additional benefit of RME is having Digicheck to run hardware-fed I/O metering outside of PT - very handy esp. for live work.
I agree that lately RME's ASIO has vastly improved... I still feel slightly better about AVID and MOTU hardware in terms of stability- at this point- after 90 days of PT9 3-rd party support, especially on a Mac, but I really don't foresee any 'major' issues, nothing that would vastly differ from anyone else's experience. My comments about RME are not to be taken out of the context of responding to the OP's desire for 'rock solid performance and minimal headaches' - something that is very hard to guarantee on this forum at this point... no matter what the hardware/driver/DAW combination...
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks all for your input. I realize this is all new, but I was simply hoping somebody has stuck their neck out with this particular combo so that I don't have to... Doing the driver/version juggle with Avid and Mac is something that I never appreciate doing.

@priorytools: Thanks for the tip re: the JoeCo Black Box. That might be just what I'm looking for and not worry about tracking in ProTools after all. Definitely worth a closer look. Cheers.