Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2001, 09:57 AM

Default PTFREE and Lexicon Core2

Has anyone tried to use PTFREE with a Lexicon Core2 system? I'm considering purchase, and this would be helpful to know.

thanks,

Geof
Old 04-27-2001, 09:50 AM

Default Re: PTFREE and Lexicon Core2

Hello fellow core 2 owner. Do a search for core 2, and decide for yorself.
I use PTF R2 with a PII 350MMX 192MB, Asus 440bx, Core 2.

I could never get it to run without freezing. I could usually disable resources in the control panel(like my other PII PTFree setups) but this wasn't working with the core 2 so I went to the BIOS and shut off all things I wasn't using:3.5"floppy,USB, Printer port etc. Now I can get it to run sporadically. I only use it for overdubbs because it is so unreliable. It freezes when I access a drop down menu or when it converts a wave from read only. Sometimes it works for 2 or three hours without crashing, but it will always crash eventually.
BY THE WAY I USE PTLE IN AN IDENTICAL COMPUTER(amIII INSTEAD OF core2)
and I crash or freeze about once a week. This is not a lot since I use these machines 10-12 hours a day, everyday. (Chicago is a hotbed for original music and I often find myself editing/mixing/mastering on 2 computers at once(seperately)). PTLE has fewer crashes than any other program I run (except windows), and I bet if I switched to the specified W98 SE(I use W98 1st), my crash ratio would probably be even better.

If you plan to work with audio professionally, I would suggest PTLE(w/ either 001 or amIII) It is more stable, easier to use, and has better features than all others I own.(Cubase32vst5.0,CEP1.2,Logic Platinum 4.6, Cakewalk PA9.01, and vegasaudio 2.0)

Just one example: After recording on any of the above programs(not PTLE). you must save the wave files. They write to the HDD and 12 10 minute tracks can take up to 10 minutes or more to save. My clients get pissed having to wait so long.(I think the creative process was interupted.)
After recording on PTLE, you just press record and keep tracking. No Delay.
This is real big when you get bands with 35 minute songs. Who wants to wait 1/2 hour to do another take, when they are ready to go almost immediately.(the wait was only about 5 minutes for a 3 minute song).
With the other programs, I had to charge by the song. Now I am back to charging per hour like a recording studio should. Thanks Digi!!!!

Chopper
www.evilchopper.com
Black Pug Digital Discworks-Chicago

P.S. Digi bends over backwards for you when you purchase their products. Forward and backward compatibility, cust.support, sales,etc.
One the other had Lexi just announced discontinuation of their desktop recording line. (We assumed this when the price dropped to $179 at guitar center, and later read about it on the CORE 2 user forum.(Go to the links page of my site for core2 link.)