Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 AM

Question Sample rate setting on hardware gets forced to 44.1 by PT8

Hi all,

I must be missing something out somewhere and I just can't find it.
I've got this M-Audio ProjectMix IO and found out this weirdness today.
In the Control Panel I have set the sample rate towards 48KHz. Then I booted PT8 and wanted to start a new blank session...but I was only able to select 44.1KHz ??!! I was like ...huh?? I just have set it to 48?? So, not closing anything, went back to the control panel and.....you guessed right... the sample rate was switched back to 44.1KHz !!

Now I'm fairly new to everything but I'm deffinite I could set my PT sessions to 48KHz before when using PT7.4. ProjectMix IO can be even set to 96Khz, not that I can do that with M-Powered of course.

I've been looking all over in the preferences etc but cant seem to find the cause.

Anyone ideas ?

thanks, Luc

PS: may be worth mentioning this. Before I found this issue, I applied the cs1 this morning
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Sample rate setting on hardware gets forced to 44.1 by PT8

Update......

Ok...Its not PT8 that is forcing the sample rate of my FireWire ProjectMix IO to go back to 44.1Khz but something within my Windows environment I'm affraid. Clicking on a link in IE what gives a 'click' sound by Windows is already enough to see the change from 48Khz to 44.1KHz happening.

Weird, this wasn't so when I was still on PT7.4. Now I've been looking around and found the Legacy audio drivers window in Windows where there is an entry for Digi32.dll and one for diomidi.dll. Both not willing to open due missing file message. Looking into the duc forum it might have to do with the upgrade I suspect. Before installing PT8 I uninstalled of course PT 7.4 but did this using Add/Remove Programs in the control panel. I might should have used the Remove utility from digi ? Is this even the cause ? I'm a little lost and any help is much appreciated.

I also looked into the bios and disabled the onboard sound card (HDA) and uninstalled the drivers for that. Funny thing is that all audio is working like it should. Playing CDs, mp3s what ever. Just its always forcing the hardware to switch to 44.1

thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Avid

Most likely you have other software that's using the M-Audio hardware and keeping it locked at 44.1k. Make sure to quit all applications first, then try changing the sample rate when you create a new Pro Tools session.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 AM

Hi DTS,

Thanks for the insight. Here's what I did now and to be conclusive already...it works like a charm now.

It was not really an application that caused it but Windows itself and I made it so unfortunatly because I told windows to use as sound device the ProjectMix itself.

Okay. I switched in the Bios my HDA back on and reinstalled the driver set for it. Now I made sure my Windows sound device is set to the HDA instead of the PJM. So far so good, now I can select in PT all the possible sample rates and let PT control the switch in the PJM...wonderfull !!!! Now the catch... I can't hear a thing coming out Windows anymore, fair to say thats normal I guess without speakers attached to the pc. So I connected the digital out of the PC straight into the spdif in of PJM and there's sound again. But !!! it's horrible to listen to, its distorting like crazy but also for this I found the catch as well. I switched in the control panel of PJM the sync source to 'external - digital' and there we goooooooo !!!
Woohhhoooo, I got it all set now. I can hear my windows sounds and I can even use the spdif in of the PJM to record on an audio track in PT in case I would want that.

I'm all happy now.

Thanks for the insights.

Regards, Luc
Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 AM

ermmmmm....

how to close the thread ?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Avid

No need to 'close' a thread - if your problem is solved, you can just let it be..!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Question Re: Sample rate setting on hardware gets forced to 44.1 by PT8

Hi I am getting same issue just after installing M-audio Venom synth in my computer! Pro tools is now locked with sample rate of 44 khz. Note that venom is not set as default at the windows audio settings (neither playback or recording devices settings). Also this happens even when Venom is unplugged. I have uninstalled Venom but still Pro Tools is forced the external clock (44khz, from the Venom audio interface).
I am ready to give up on pro tools. I will kill myself before upgrading to PT 10.
Please help!!