Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-11-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Help recording MIDI on PT with Reason 3.0.5

Looking for some pointers on how to best use reason to record MIDI on to PT:

1. What's the best way to set up the tracks? (should I use an Stereo Aux Track)
2. Then what should i do? (insert a MIDI Track? Audio Track? or what?)
3. Im up to the point that i insert one stereo aux.. then one MIDI track and start recording (using one of the NN-XT software instruments)and that works fine.. do normally the track only gets recorded on PT or on Reason (depending on what program the record button is pushed) isn't there a way so that the track is recorded on both.. and that edits performed on either one of the programs is reflected on the other (i find editing MIDI notes on Reason easier than on PT).
4. And then here is the part that really gets on my nerves.. if i use two NN-XT in reason why do the instruments selected on both of them sound simultaneously if only one is activated on the sequencer!... does anyone know what in talking about!... usually i can record the first indtrument fine.. but when i get to the second one each time i press a ky on the controller i get the sound of the selected NN-XT and the sound of the one i just recorded.. can someone help me out here...

So finally this is what i would like to do...
1.Use the NN-XT for recording software instruments.
2. Each instrument on a different MIDI PT track.
3. The ability to edit the sound on both programs(like using Maxim on pro tools and the RV7000 on Reason)

Can anyone help???
Old 10-11-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Help recording MIDI on PT with Reason 3.0.5

What Pro Tools version are you using?

filosofem
Old 10-11-2006, 04:29 PM

LE 7.1.1 for Intel Based Macs...
Old 10-11-2006, 05:06 PM

Cool, ummm... this should be pretty straight forward. This routing option gives you the ability to record and edit within Pro Tools, personally, I think it's the best way, many people have different ways of achieving this end and as such, you will find yours, but I hope this helps.

Pro Tools Mix window

Create yourself as many Stereo Instrument tracks as required (in your case I think two).
Make sure the faders on these Instrument tracks are set at 0dB and name these tracks.
Insert Reason in the first Instrument track's Channel Insert.

Reason (Flipped) Rack

Edit>Select All Devices
Edit>Disconnect All Cables

From the first NN-XT drag the Audio Output of this module to Reason's (so-called) Hardware Interface Input 1 and 2 (thus being Stereo) and repeat for the next NN-XT module, but this time drag the cables to Reason's Hardware Interface Input 3 and 4.

Pro Tools Mix window

Assign ReWire in the first Instrument track to Mix L and Mix R
Insert Reason into the next Stereo Instrument track and assign ReWire to Channel 3 and 4.

In the Instrument track's MIDI Output select the first NN-XT Channel and repeat for the next Instrumnet track assigning it's MIDI Output to the second NN-XT Channel.

Hold Shift and record arm both Instrument tracks.

Try this out, hope it helps!

filosofem
Old 10-11-2006, 06:40 PM

filosofem,

The thing now is I'm not getting any sound out of inputs 3-4, inputs 1-2 on the hardware interface are highlighted... 3-4 are not...
The other thing I didn't mention is that one of reason's NN-XT tracks is all ready recorded but when i pli it back it dosn't record on PT... it only records when I play...
I think i must use the mixer to feed the hardware interface into inputs 1-2... but bot signals from the NN-XT 1 and 2 get mixed into only the first instrument track on PT...

Thanks for the help... any ideas?

O yeah.. one more thing... on PT in the instrument tracks outputs the option for selecting the NN-XT channels does not appear, i only get "interface" and "bus"...
Old 10-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The thing now is I'm not getting any sound out of inputs 3-4, inputs 1-2 on the hardware interface are highlighted... 3-4 are not...
Yeah, I'm thinking because of this;
Quote:
O yeah.. one more thing... on PT in the instrument tracks outputs the option for selecting the NN-XT channels does not appear, i only get "interface" and "bus"...
From the looks of it, you have selected the Audio Output of the Instrument track, try the MIDI Output. Try; View>Mix window>Instruments.
Quote:
The other thing I didn't mention is that one of reason's NN-XT tracks is all ready recorded
Export and Import that MIDI performance into Pro Tools.

filosofem
Old 10-28-2006, 01:44 PM

Sorry I took so long to answer... i was on vacation... so, what i finally did was just record and edit all the instruments on Reason and then recorded them on PT using the internal bus... that is what I usually do, this time i was reluctant because i was using quite a couple of instruments and thought that it would be better to edit everything on PT... but Reason works great for MIDI editing, and its no problem at all importing them into PT once your done...

Thanks a lot for your help!!