Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Default PC For HD?

Guys, I'm currently running 6.4 TDM Mix system on a G4 Mac. Its great but dated. Apart from the older version of pro tools, being stuck on a G4 is a nightmare. No usb 2, limited options for larger HD/Ram etc.

So thinking it might be time to move to HD as there is lots of 2nd hand bargains due to people upgrading to the new system from Avid.

I had thought about moving to a G5 but that's looking quite dated now and pro macs are silly money so I was thinking about moving back to PC which I used to run an LE system years ago.

Can anyone point me in the directions of the specs I need to run pro tools 8 or 9 with HD hardware on a PC? I believe PT10 is the last version that will support HD, is that right?

What about performance of HD on PC? Running windows 7 I assume?
I'd be looking at a pc with i7 processor. I need to do some video editing as well as running pro tools.

Hoping for some tips. Cheers.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 AM

Default Re: PC For HD?

Actually, I have another question. Can a modern PC run my Mix hardware/PT6.4? Will 6.4 run under an OS newer than XP? Just thinking I could get the PC, and while I'm sourcing 2nd hand HD hardware, I'll run my Mix system.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Just my 2 cents here. I agree that a G5 would be a waste of cash. A used Mac Pro 8 core with HD3 is still a potent setup, and would work with PT10(but don't plan on updating past 10). A brand new Mac Pro would also be nice, but expensive(but future-proof for a couple of years anyway). Finding a modern PC motherboard with enough PCI slots to run the old hardware with XP sounds like an exercise in frustration to me. A new i7 PC can work wonders and save some cash. I7 9xx(socket 1366) on an X58 motherboard is a proven combo, but the new Sandybridge E i7(socket 2011) on an X79 motherboard looks to be the new performance champ. Since these new systems have so much processing power, you might also consider HD/Native with a new HD IO. Avid may even have some trade up deals so check with a dealer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post
Actually, I have another question. Can a modern PC run my Mix hardware/PT6.4? Will 6.4 run under an OS newer than XP? Just thinking I could get the PC, and while I'm sourcing 2nd hand HD hardware, I'll run my Mix system.
No, XP it the limit

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM

Wink Re: PC For HD?

Look at my sig I'm running a magma chassis with a PC and it works like a charm. Best thing I have ever brought. I might upgrade to pro tools 10 but I don't see the benefit of going HDX as I've never maxed this system out or come close. So I definitely look into a chassie

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Self-built PC kickin butt here. Intel H55HC motherboard, 4G RAM, Intel i7 quad core CPU, Windows 7 32 bit, PTHD 8 HD3 Accel PCI.