Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2016, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Fader on a MIDI Track in PT12 doesn't affect instrument volume while adjusting it

It's 2016. Uh, midi volume should work. That's not a bug. That's a major screw up. Sheesh.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 04-10-2016, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Fader on a MIDI Track in PT12 doesn't affect instrument volume while adjusting it

PLEASE fix this. This has been happening since last October it seems and it makes ProTools a HUGE pita to work with and attempt to write, produce and mix projects. This shouldn't be a feature. The very 1st midi program I used in the 80's was able to do this.

I know it is rampant on these forums these days, but basic daw features should work on this once solid product called Pro Tools. New features and bug fixes being addressed much more quickly were the reason for the 'subscription' model we were sold last year.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 04-11-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
PLEASE fix this. This has been happening since last October it seems and it makes ProTools a HUGE pita to work with and attempt to write, produce and mix projects. This shouldn't be a feature. The very 1st midi program I used in the 80's was able to do this.

I know it is rampant on these forums these days, but basic daw features should work on this once solid product called Pro Tools. New features and bug fixes being addressed much more quickly were the reason for the 'subscription' model we were sold last year.
+1!!!!!!!!

www.TwinMusic.de
Old 04-11-2016, 06:52 AM

It is I, the second poster on this thread, posting exactly the same thing. If you have your Midi Track in "Touch" or "Write" then moving the fader writes cc7 automation. If you are just recording the Midi Track with the track in "Read" then cc7 doesn't get written, while other cc's (1 or 11 for example) do.

A further complication is that for an Instrument Track, the fader always defaults to Audio Volume, so I don't think there is any way other than manually to write cc7 into an Instrument Track.

I agree that this is not intuitive and should be changed. I think lots of midi features in Pro Tools should be improved (Cubase has a Chord Editor!)
Old 09-14-2016, 01:18 AM

Yes this in unbelievable. I have latest version of Pt and still not fixed!

The issue once again Avid is that if you use a midi fader to control something (in my case a external sum.mation analog summing thing) it works... but you cannot hear the changes in midi volume automation as you perform them in write mode on midi track. The midi automation plays back correctly however after it is written on playback. In other words, when I write automate the midi track in write mode and then move the fader, the moves cannot be heard in audio as i perform them. On playback then, all the automation is written in and it functions perfectly. This is a disaster as you can't hear what you are doing while making midi fader moves. A totally related problem is that you have to take your finger off the mouse in order for the midi volume changes to be registered. You can't hear changes unless you let go of fader. This was not a problem in pt11. For me these two related problems are a total disaster as I use dumi midi faders to control voulme automation in a summing device called sum.mation. My whole studio is built around it. None of this works now. I can't go back to PT 11 as I updated to new operating system. PLease Please Please fix this Avid. I for one cannot use my studio without this as my entire workflow depends on automating midi faders. It is so bad that I am considering having to buy a whole new computer just to run protools 11. Please please help. Is there a workaround? Feeling terrible about this. My clients come to me partly to do with an analog studio. Now I can't automate my summing device etc. Nightmare...
Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 AM

It should be really fixed in 12.6 as Avid Support wrote me, as I opened a case and they were really into the thing... Let's hope!!

www.TwinMusic.de
Old 09-14-2016, 05:57 PM

Ok so they told you that it would be fixed in 12.6 or are you just hoping that it will be based on what they said previously?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog007 View Post
Ok so they told you that it would be fixed in 12.6 or are you just hoping that it will be based on what they said previously?
They said, that it would be implemented into 12.6. as it is at the top of their list...
We'll see in some days...

www.TwinMusic.de
Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 AM

Hi

So is the problem resolved on 12.6 ? Avid said it was, but does it really work as before ??
Old 11-09-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juh View Post
Hi

So is the problem resolved on 12.6 ? Avid said it was, but does it really work as before ??
Yes, it works again like all the years before..

www.TwinMusic.de