Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Default The "less pro" audio delay buggy

Ok, this is pretty common on my system and it frequently makes me look not so "pro"...

Typicaly, I record on a track with delay comp on (compensating the other tracks with plugins etc). When I make a duplicate this track and rec-arm it theres a audible delay.

Sometimes turning delay-comp off and on will do the trick - sometimes not.

I see these things a lot. It's been like this for a long time.

Anyone seeing it too?

Boe
Old 09-30-2014, 03:40 AM

Default Re: The "less pro" audio delay buggy

Yes, think i've posted before on this. HDX rig, my workflow similarly involves duplicating tracks to record on for vocalist etc. Not every time but enough to not give me confidence , crazy i know on a 5k system.

This problem is why just tracked a whole album of vocals on the old TDM system.

The reproducibility of this bug is a problem in being able to show it to Avid although others have had similar.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:28 PM

yes i encounter this often when overdubbing. it's a total glitch and there's no fix that i'm aware of. there's not even a reliable way to de-bug it as far as i know... i've had limited luck toggling ADC off and on (sometimes 3-4 times, lol), so usually just end up restarting protools to save time.

can you imagine paying 10k for any other THING and seeing basic stuff like this not working!?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
yes i encounter this often when overdubbing. it's a total glitch and there's no fix that i'm aware of. there's not even a reliable way to de-bug it as far as i know... i've had limited luck toggling ADC off and on (sometimes 3-4 times, lol), so usually just end up restarting protools to save time.

can you imagine paying 10k for any other THING and seeing basic stuff like this not working!?
Yes, I've experienced this bug on four different systems in the last 6 months. TDM, HDX, Native -- different computers, different studios. It's a real and common bug -- and total workflow killer when tracking vocals. . . . Not sure that Avid has even acknowledged it.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoney View Post
Yes, I've experienced this bug on four different systems in the last 6 months. TDM, HDX, Native -- different computers, different studios. It's a real and common bug -- and total workflow killer when tracking vocals. . . . Not sure that Avid has even acknowledged it.
It's due to delay comp. When you are playing a session back, basically the audio is in time because of ADC but in reality, the audio is being played early and delayed in the mixer to compensate for the mixer and plug in delays. When you hit record, you can not have a early recording which is then being delayed, so PT switched to real time, hence the hick up. Try turning off ADC during tracking.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I've experienced this bug on four different systems in the last 6 months. TDM, HDX, Native..
i never had this problem on my TDM rig, or any other studio i worked in with a TDM system!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
...Try turning off ADC during tracking.
between a rock and a hard place unfortunately, since DSP plugs are so few and far between (comparatively to the TDM options in the past).

kill ADC with any native processing going on elsewhere in the session and it's worse. even though ADC sucks with native on HDX, at least it's getting you closer...
Old 10-01-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
i never had this problem on my TDM rig, or any other studio i worked in with a TDM system!
Def happens on TDM as well. Just last week on an HD6 system running 10.3.9 HD. The engineer and I spoke about it extensively. They've had avid over there to look, but still no fixes.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Def happens on TDM as well. Just last week on an HD6 system running 10.3.9 HD. The engineer and I spoke about it extensively. They've had avid over there to look, but still no fixes.
The fix is time travel. You would have to sing early by the delay comp amount. How do other DAW's handle this?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-01-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
The fix is time travel. You would have to sing early by the delay comp amount. How do other DAW's handle this?
That's just not true -- most of the time it works fine and the singer hears himself normally. And then occasionally what he's hearing back is somehow delayed, at which point you need to de-activate and re-activate the track. That's the bug we're all describing.