Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 PM

Default New to Pro Tools and no tech skills!

Due to simple frustration and disagreement, I became the 'chosen one' to learn how pro tools 10 works. My boyfriend and I play guitar and bass and want to record. I tend to have the most patience so I've gladly taken over the tech side of recording. I have a small problem. Technology hates me, I dont know how to work it. I am utterly confused and dont know where to start.

So far I've:
Got pro tools downloaded and ready to go. And all my devices plugged in. (ie a direct interface, amp, instruments, etc)

I don't know what my next step is in recording guitar, any advice?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 PM

Default Re: New to Pro Tools and no tech skills!

please start with this, http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
there are some details that are missing (OS version, type of computer, type of interface)

then youtube http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...be.Q12d1LWwnV4

some are better than other so don't get hung up to much on opinions

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-24-2013, 03:45 AM

And in all honesty, you really do have to RTFM with Pro Tools...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-24-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music's princess View Post
Due to simple frustration and disagreement, I became the 'chosen one' to learn how pro tools 10 works. My boyfriend and I play guitar and bass and want to record. I tend to have the most patience so I've gladly taken over the tech side of recording. I have a small problem. Technology hates me, I dont know how to work it. I am utterly confused and dont know where to start.

So far I've:
Got pro tools downloaded and ready to go. And all my devices plugged in. (ie a direct interface, amp, instruments, etc)

I don't know what my next step is in recording guitar, any advice?
Try Google - there's a TON of material out there that will help. You Tube will also be your friend here. Failing that if you're on a Mac you could always use GarageBand.

When will people realize Pro Tools is NOT plug and play software? It's not Guitar Hero either.

QAPLA!