Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 08-29-2019, 09:54 PM

Default xpand 2 plugin playing out of tune

My xpand 2 plugin keeps going out of tune in the middle of playing various patches. It plays fine for a little bit then all of a sudden it goes out of tune. Any fixes for this issue? I have looked at all threads on this issue and haven't found a solution. I have been using the plugin for several years and have never had this problem. I don't believe it's my Mbox. My clock source is set to internal for my Pro Tools session and my other tracks are playing just fine with the same plugin. I have 3 instances of it opened. I'm using windows 7 and running ProTools LE 8.0.5, yeah my version is old but it has been running stable for about 7+ years. Can some one help me out?
Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 AM

Default Re: xpand 2 plugin playing out of tune

Pitch wheel automation on the track maybe?
Old 08-30-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Pitch wheel automation on the track maybe?

That was my first thought as well. Is it going out of tune when playing live from a keyboard controller, or off a MIDI or Instrument track, or both? If its only when playing off the controller, then I'd be real suspicious of the pitch wheel/lever. IS there some PB setting on the controller that's not set correctly?

Is it happening with only one session, or any session you try? If its just one, then it might be that when you recorded the midi some pitch bend info got recorded as well. Check the automation lanes.

If its any session, then I'd still check the automation lanes first and see if somehow some PB info got laid down. If none of the above solve it, then, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling Xpand.

Other than that, I'm not sure what could be the issue.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:57 AM

This happened to me, I had an M-Audio Keystation and the pitch bend control would randomly move while playing, I had it fixed but it didn't last long.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:18 AM

The pitch bend wheel on my ancient original Motif 7 doesn't always return to the middle no-pitch-change electrical position. It returns to the physical middle position but the encoder is sending out the correct position.

QAPLA!
Old 08-30-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The pitch bend wheel on my ancient original Motif 7 doesn't always return to the middle no-pitch-change electrical position. It returns to the physical middle position but the encoder is sending out the correct position.

What do you mean "ancient"? If your Motif is ancient, then you must be, what, ancient of ancients?

I suspect the issue HB is having is something like this. By the way, my main controller is the Motif XS8. Works great and I've never had any issues with it that were not user error.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
That was my first thought as well. Is it going out of tune when playing live from a keyboard controller, or off a MIDI or Instrument track, or both? If its only when playing off the controller, then I'd be real suspicious of the pitch wheel/lever. IS there some PB setting on the controller that's not set correctly?

Is it happening with only one session, or any session you try? If its just one, then it might be that when you recorded the midi some pitch bend info got recorded as well. Check the automation lanes.

If its any session, then I'd still check the automation lanes first and see if somehow some PB info got laid down. If none of the above solve it, then, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling Xpand.

Other than that, I'm not sure what could be the issue.
It goes out of tune when I play the controller and when I play back the midi and I also noticed it happens only when "the track name" is highlighted or selected within mixer or edit view. I haven't added any automation on any of the tracks as of yet. For now though I kind of work around this "out of tune" problem by selecting or highlighting a non-instrument "track name" like an audio track or master fader, etc.
If I for some reason have the track name selected on that instrument track it goes out of tune; when it goes out of tune I just deactivate and reactivate the track and then try to not select the track name while working on the song. This is how I work around it.
I hope I'm making sense. I don't believe its the pitch bend wheel because I have never used it. I usually play just the keys or program notes and midi control data into the editor.
This out of tune thing has happened in more than a few sessions. I would try the uninstall/reinstall but I have the Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack and I believe I have to uninstall all of my expansion pack plugins not just the one. I think I'm going to continue to work around it until I can afford an upgrade. Thank you for your help and forgive me for being hesitant.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
What do you mean "ancient"? If your Motif is ancient, then you must be, what, ancient of ancients?

I suspect the issue HB is having is something like this. By the way, my main controller is the Motif XS8. Works great and I've never had any issues with it that were not user error.
To give you an idea of how ancient I am - I became eligible for Medicare two+ years ago and Harry Truman was in the White House when I was born.

I think I detailed some of the issues I've had with this Motif - everything from taking it apart to clean a couple of the slider pots (the main output slider has again failed) to dead keys in both the lower end (it's a 76 key beast) and extreme upper end. You could say it's played out. I'd replace it but the only key action I can play cleanly on is a Kurzweil K series and the local stores don't carry Kurzweils.

QAPLA!
Old 08-30-2019, 04:13 PM

This Harry Truman? Cool
Old 08-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB1978 View Post
It goes out of tune when I play the controller and when I play back the midi and I also noticed it happens only when "the track name" is highlighted or selected within mixer or edit view. I haven't added any automation on any of the tracks as of yet. For now though I kind of work around this "out of tune" problem by selecting or highlighting a non-instrument "track name" like an audio track or master fader, etc.
If I for some reason have the track name selected on that instrument track it goes out of tune; when it goes out of tune I just deactivate and reactivate the track and then try to not select the track name while working on the song. This is how I work around it.
I hope I'm making sense. I don't believe its the pitch bend wheel because I have never used it. I usually play just the keys or program notes and midi control data into the editor.
This out of tune thing has happened in more than a few sessions. I would try the uninstall/reinstall but I have the Pro Tools Instrument Expansion Pack and I believe I have to uninstall all of my expansion pack plugins not just the one. I think I'm going to continue to work around it until I can afford an upgrade. Thank you for your help and forgive me for being hesitant.

Did you check the automation lanes for the pitch bend anyway? That would tell you whether or not something got recorded, even if you didn't intend it.

Also, Have you tried just inputting MIDI notes directly without the controller...just draw them on the MIDI track and then play that back? Does the same thing happen?

Is it all the Xpand voices, or only a couple?