Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-10-2001, 07:47 PM

Default Digital Performer to Pro Tools Conversion

So I am about to go through hell I guess. some engineer screwed up a bands record and so they are taking it to me to fix it. Heres the thing its in Digital Performer. So now can i just use the import track function on the Digital Performer stuff? Do I need digi translater or something? Am I gonna have to pen the DP files and Consolidate all their regions to zero? Does Digital Performer have this facility?
Old 09-10-2001, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Digital Performer to Pro Tools Conversion

If you have DP3.0, just export as OMF. If you have DigiTranslator, just import it on the PT system. It works great!
Old 09-10-2001, 07:59 PM

From DP to PT there seems to have a way trough the Save As.. command in Digital Performer. You have the option to make an OMF export.

However I've never tried it.

Hope it helps a bit

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2001, 09:17 PM

This is a minor problem I ran into with this conversion:

If you have DP 2.7 or lower - the OMF export did not function properly (all of the audio files started at the beginning of PT session - that is to say: it was completely out of sync). I simply used the OMF tool and it worked. The engineer re-OMF'd me after he upgraded to DP 3.0 and DigiTranslator had no problems.

I haven't duplicated this, so it may not be entirely correct. But don't freak. You'll just have to adjust depending on what you receive - it won't be hell.

Andy O.
Old 09-14-2001, 04:14 PM

Unfortunately, OMF doesn't support 24 bit audio!
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 09-14-2001, 09:04 PM

I now that Digitranslator can do conversions to and from 24 bits, but I didn't needed 24 bit audio by the time OMF was used,

It was moore a question of translating Avid compositions to ProTools sessions. Remember? when there was not even a 24 bit interface at that time?(already a few years!)
Old 10-03-2001, 08:02 PM

although it IS a trick...this may help if you are trying to get dp 3.0 24 bit audio to become pt 5.1 24 bit audio...

if you used omf tool (an did NOT enable the digitranslator/omf file compatibility checkbox when you saved as OMF in performer) when you try to play the tracks...you get a dae error "files too dense at this location" or similiar...

however...if you go to "save a copy in" on the save menu in protools...you can make a new copy...look for "items to copy" in the menu...and select "all audio files" it will take a little while...but works perfectly...as far as i know (it doesn't do any difficult lengthy converting other than copying the file so i believe no digital hocus-pocus is going on : )

good luck [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2001, 08:26 PM

I just did the DP 3.0 save as OMF thing on a huge radio station jingle project. 30 different sequences with tons of audio files each. Used digitranslator and then converted audio to 24bit on import.

Worked like a champ, although took me hours to do.

After using DP for many years, I've finally thrown in the towel and begun using PT for midi. It's so much more effort and visually displeasing. But because I use AV option for video and Pro Control for mixing, I'm stuck!

Good luck.